[ADwD Spoilers] All of the little things

Ahri Adaran

"Womb will quicken" - Her first period in a while would indicate a return to fertility

Not sure if this is what you meant but "quickening" refers to the beginning of the second trimester of pregnancy, not the initial conception/implantation. And her reaction makes it sound as though she's been getting regular periods all along.

Then she saw the pale crescent moon, floating high above the grass, and it came to her that this was no more than her moon blood.

If she had not been so sick and scared, that might have come as a relief... She was bleeding, but it was only woman's blood. The moon is still a crescent though. How can that be? She tried to remember the last time she had bled. The last full moon? The one before? The one before that? No, it cannot have been so long as that.

Dany's skipped a few periods, and now this bleeding has come at the wrong time to be her next one. Unless GRRM is making a point about stress affecting the menstrual cycle, I think she's conceived and miscarried - and if she has missed three periods, then she's miscarried at "quickening", which isn't uncommon.

Am I the only one who thought that Mormont's crow saying "Jon Snow" was a monumental moment? My first thought was of Bran warging into the crow and finding Jon and speaking out. Any thoughts?

My exact first thought. With the Crow saying "King" a lot around Jon now as well, I think Bloodraven and Bran might have found out R+L=J.

I noticed that Young Griff is described as "the prince" before Tyrion has his revealing dialogue with "Aegon". Was this intended to make the reader wonder or was it a mistake. It could be that Tyrion has realized who it might be but it's a bit weird that GRRM uses "prince" before it's explained.

Pretty sure this was on purpouse. I think you were meant to go "wait, what?" and then you read Tyrion's dissection of Young Griff. I think it's just a way GRRM used to make the writing more dramatic.

Few things I picked up

Gave a lot of credence to Tyrion being the rape child of Aerys and Joanna - as Aerys was infactuated with a cousin of Tywin, and Tywin married his cousin correct?

Septa Lemore - Ashara Dayne, maybe even Lyanna.

There is a great Other, as the priest spoke about on the boat.

- it would be horribly awesome if Jon rose as the great Other's champion, to fight Dany. But I still think he is going to be AA reborn, to much symbolism in his chapters to say not.

I got the feeling all the animals - Cat in KL, Raven at the wall were blood ravens pets and his eyes.

IMO there is no way that Lemore was Lyanna -- she died in Ned's arms. Ned knows his own sister.

There is definitely some mystery to Lemore's person. I also had the thought that it was Ashara Dayne, but if she's mid-40s, it seems unlikely (she was likely of an age with Ned or Brandon, and Ned died when he was in his mid-to-late 30s). Plus, I think some attention would have been paid to her eyes, if she were Ashara.

-Mance Rayder's Winterfell infiltration plan was a direct ripoff of Bael the Bard's one right down to the fake name (Abel). Maybe Mance hid from Ramsey down in the crypts as well?

An anagram. Wow, I totally missed that, though I did think Abel was a strange name.

-Hodor ate a bit of one of the Night's Watch deserters who betrayed Mormont at Craster's Keep. Lots of cannibalism in this book...

What's this? You mean when they ate "pork" in that abandoned village?

-Good boots being hard to find (Janos Slynt, Daeron, etc.).

When I read this passage, about a glamour being tied to boots, I was thinking of Arya, keeping Dareon's boots. Faceless Arya going to the NW?

-Danny might no longer be barren. It is theorized that her heavy bleeding at the end of the book might have been an early miscarriage due to the nasty berries since MMD's prophesy might have been fulfilled:

"When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east," Quentyn Martell's death, he is the sun.

"When the seas go dry" The Dothraki Sea has gone dry.

"and mountains blow in the wind like leaves." The dragons' destruction of the pyramids seems the most likely here. They are burned by the dragons and the ashes blow in the wind.

It is possible that Drogo (and Rhaego?) are living on in some form in their dragons as we know that that sort of thing it possible from Varamyr and that fits with the prophesy of Drogo being returned to Dany (maybe).

Very cool connection. I was wondering what the significance of her bleeding was. The Quentyn reference is especially good, and it gives some purpose to his POVs.

-The Ghost of High Heart could be the same as the wood witch that Barristan mentions. She could have been a Child of the Forest as she is mentioned as being very short. She could possibly be the Child of the Forest who speaks the common tongue with Bran, she mentioned that she used to be out and about in the wider world. This means that we could have someone alive who was at Summerhall. Most interesting.

It almost certainly is the same woman. She is certainly a woods witch, and the ghost of high heart kept mentioning "her Jenny", and said that she "gorged on grief at Summerhall."

Melisandre is a slave with no slave tattoo, I think her entire appearance could be a glamour.

When I read this, I was reminded of when Jon thinks that Melisandre is Ygritte. When I first read that passage, I thought Melisandre was trying to charm Jon, to give birth to another shadowbaby, but this rings more true. What is it they say about glamours? People see what they want to see. Obviously, Ygritte is on Jon's mind, he wanted to see her, perhaps the glamour glitched?

It seems very likely that she is using a glamour, but for what purpose? To enhance her beauty, or to hide her identity?

Mel made mention of mortals, I can't remember exactly where or the wording, but it suggested that she is not a mortal. Also she is in a order of some sort. A group of immortals?

Moqorro, the Black Flame, also survives floating at the sea, either having drunk sea water, or not having drunk anything for 10 days, so priests of R'hllor clearly have special powers.

My guess is that Mel's powers are somehow linked to the fire that is ever burning in her chambers. She repeatedly observes that the fire must never to go out. It seems strange that the red priests have an organisational hierarchy, but Mel never thinks about it in those terms.

Tyrion plays with an alabaster dragon in ADWD. Just sayin', that could mean something. or not.

Yeah, what was that all about?

whirlpool???

I'm still not sold on Jon = AA, could very well be Dani, I know that the Mel chapters alluded to it but wouldn't be the first red herring GRRM has throw at us.

-Who the hell is the Stark woman in Bran's visions hoping that her kids will get vengeance for her?

I have a hazy recollection of GRRM saying he was at some point going to tell some stories about Winterfell in the past--and there were some details that came along w/ it that this might fit in with. I don't recall if it was related to the Dunk and Egg stories or not--hopefully someone can come along w/ a better memory than I have to fill some of this in.

But what if the "Return of Drogo's spirit" refers to Joqho and his khalasar finding Dany by the river? We know Dany doesn't like him, of course, but he's the first link back to the Dothraki that she's seen in a while.

Doesn't Dany swear in AGOT that Khal Joqho will die screaming? He and Mago? I think he is not long for the world ... and I bet pretty soon we will see a line of Dothraki crones kneeling before Dany too.

Very minor, but I think Tyrion kills the sick dude in the camp when they are enslaved with some of the poison mushrooms he had in his boot.

He puts them in the broth.

Yes, he does. He all but says so a little afterwards.

I still think it makes FAR more sense for Lanna to be a bastard daughter of Gerion Lannister who was lost at sea (or heck maybe trueborn if he married foolishly in the same fashion Tyrion did Tysha). Even IF Tyrion happened to get Tysha pregnant, after what she was put through by them, I can't imagine her wistfully pining away for her husband and naming her daughter after his family.

Not to mention that dwarfism is a dominant trait. It can arise due to a spontanous mutation, but afterwards it gets passed on.

Not to mention that dwarfism is a dominant trait. It can arise due to a spontanous mutation, but afterwards it gets passed on.

um, no, i don't think so; at least according to Seinfeld, it's not. Non-dwarf parents can have dwarf children, so it has to be recessive.

EDIT: I see what you're saying about the mutation, so maybe you're right.

um, no, i don't think so; at least according to Seinfeld, it's not. Non-dwarf parents can have dwarf children, so it has to be recessive.

Wiki says achondroplasia is a spontaneous mutation in 85% of cases and the remaining cases can be attributed to autosomal dominant inheritance. I continue to believe that Wikipedia will teach me medicine.

Wiki says achondroplasia is a spontaneous mutation in 85% of cases and the remaining cases can be attributed to autosomal dominant inheritance. I continue to believe that Wikipedia will teach me medicine.

yeah, i had recanted my original stand in an edit. Looks like I misunderstood.

I mentioned this in the Still Reading thread.

Missandei has golden eyes and is around eleven years old. She is constantly giving better advice than most adults would give, Ser Barristan himself noting that she's smarter than half the people in his council ruling Mereen.

Children of the Forest have golden eyes. They look to around Arya's age, or around 11. The Child that Bran meets mentions that sometimes they walk the world of men, disguised as humans. They consider men to basically be the children and live a very long time.

I postulate that Missandei is observing Dany and her dragons for the Children and using a degree of magic to obscure the most exotic features of her people. They have an interest in them, with the Others and everything.

Problems with this- she apparently had brothers among the Unsullied and the Children with Bran don't seem that great with languages. Missandei seems to know several. If she is one of the Children than she'd have to be one particularly well traveled to know so many human languages. The Unsullied are maybe former traveling companions of hers that didn't know/never revealed her true identity, and thus she mourns for them and considers them like brothers.

Archived