Notes for "common misconceptions/useful pointers" article

Linda

So, we'll try to put together an article that covers some common misconceptions about the setting and provides some useful pointers to things to keep in mind. I am thinking we might divide it under a few headings:

Common misconceptions about the theme/period

Books are extremely rare, a very large library might have 100-200. Individuals often own no books or one or two books.

Painting is limited to Myrish-style miniatures and some work on wood panels. There's no canvas or large Renaissance-style paintings.

Differences from the books

No cyvasse.

No Great Sept of Baelor.

Notable differences from the Middle Ages

In Medieval Europe/England, a woman might be permitted (or even expected!) to lead her husband's militia or forces if he can't - Westeros doesn't seem to allow that except in quite limited circumstances (the 2nd Hedge Knight story, and Lady Webber; the Mormont ladies).

Any time-relevant things: wheelhouses/carriages exist/do not exist; any notes on fashion (e.g. are we looking at full skirts with layers of lace or stiffened underskirts, or chemise/kirtle with an overgown?; the see-through Dornish ensemble) that may be different in our setting.

Ladies riding - sidesaddle does not exist in our period, it's astride in full riding skirts, or breeches (for the very risque!) if memory serves.

Notes on our weather/climate/seasons: what season are we in, with variations for things like autumnal leaves, etc?

Reminders about men-at-arms and septas/matrons for unwed women, and the difficulty - near impossibility! - of sneaking off alone (even in your quarters, there are always servants).

That's all I can think of at the moment... more will come, I'm sure.

Okay, I think I'll do the article like this:

It'll be called something like "Remember That..." and then we can just bullet-point (in distinct groupings) the notes we need.

The biggest group would probably be listing things people often forget or misunderstand in roleplay, and then we'll have the ones I already noted, such as differences from the books and from the historical middle ages.

For the first group, probably need to cover shopping too; no stores, no ready-made items, not much direct shopping for a noblewoman (though visiting a market would be fine).

Okay, I think I'll do the article like this:

It'll be called something like "Remember That..." and then we can just bullet-point (in distinct groupings) the notes we need.

The biggest group would probably be listing things people often forget or misunderstand in roleplay, and then we'll have the ones I already noted, such as differences from the books and from the historical middle ages.

For the first group, probably need to cover shopping too; no stores, no ready-made items, not much direct shopping for a noblewoman (though visiting a market would be fine).

Sounds good. I've actually been doing some independent medievalist stuff again, and have come across a few books that might be useful reference:

*Treasury of the City of Ladies by Christine de Pizan: proper behaviour & expectations for medieval ladies; most of it's good, minus the sections about being ready to go off and fight or having a greater role in the management of the lands

*The Courtier by Balthasar Castiglione: Similar, from a more Italian view than French, and not gender-focused (or more to men than women)

While we *definitely* don't want to draw too much on outside material, a skim through these might be useful, especially the de Pizan, because it covers things like being supervised, how even a maid might assist her mistress, the expectations a lady of the court might have in different interactions, how to compliment a man without implying she wants to slip between the sheets with him, etc.

Archived