Cersei

Slychd

I don't think Robert had a high opinion of him since he killed a pregnant cat and its unborn kittens. Robert punished him like any father would and Cersei got pissed at him for hitting him. Cersei probably had a boy whipped in his place. Cersei is nothing more than a glorified soccer mom. She spoiled the hell out of Joffery making him believe he is entitled to everything. Why wouldn't Robert want to be a father to him? The boy disgusted him. He'd rather have a son like Robb Stark.

I think the only reason Cersei ever sleped with Jaime is because he looked like her.

I don't think Robert had a high opinion of him since he killed a pregnant cat and its unborn kittens. Robert punished him like any father would and Cersei got pissed at him for hitting him. Cersei probably had a boy whipped in his place. Cersei is nothing more than a glorified soccer mom. She spoiled the hell out of Joffery making him believe he is entitled to everything. Why wouldn't Robert want to be a father to him? The boy disgusted him. He'd rather have a son like Robb Stark.

I think the only reason Cersei ever sleped with Jaime is because he looked like her.

I'll admit, it's hard to act the father to a monster like Joffrey.

I've been re-watching the series and I wonder if some of my disappointment in Cersei as a politician comes from watching Lena Headey's portrayal. I like her portrayal well enough, but I don't think that it matches the Cersei in the books so it causes a little bit of a disconnect.

I just finished AFFC last night. For me, Cersi's chapters were the most fun to read. Part of it was that of the first four books, this was the dullest. But more of it had to do with just watching this whackjob plot and plan, and then see all of those plans turn to crap on her. I do agree with other posters on this thread that the prophecies she was scared of were a bit unneeded; she was paranoid enough all on her own to justify everything she was doing.

Also, along with the POV chapters, this was the first time we really saw Cersi unrestrained. In previous books there was always someone to tell her no (much to the reader's amusement of course). In AGOT it was Robert. Then in ACOK it was Tyrion who held her in check. In ASOS it was Tywin who shut her down. Feast was the first time we could see what she would do if she was unresrained, and boy did she screw the pooch! Prophecies aside, I enjoyed watching her set things up to make an ass out of herself. And for some reason, I'm really entertained by her constantly trying to make other people look like they are guilty of things she HERSELF is guilty of! That and how mad Cersi gets when she is accused of something she is guilty of too, another good one.

I'm going to start ADWD today, and looking forward to seeing how Cersi pulls her fat out of the fire this time, because I know she will (Or Jaime will do it for her).

I've been re-watching the series and I wonder if some of my disappointment in Cersei as a politician comes from watching Lena Headey's portrayal. I like her portrayal well enough, but I don't think that it matches the Cersei in the books so it causes a little bit of a disconnect.

I actually prefer the show's version of Cersei to the book version of Cersei.

Also, along with the POV chapters, this was the first time we really saw Cersi unrestrained. In previous books there was always someone to tell her no (much to the reader's amusement of course). In AGOT it was Robert. Then in ACOK it was Tyrion who held her in check. In ASOS it was Tywin who shut her down. Feast was the first time we could see what she would do if she was unresrained, and boy did she screw the pooch!

^Totally agree with this. I think the reason that Cersei seemed more under control in the earlier books was because she was, in fact, being kept under control.

What I was really struck by with Cersei was how little she seems to actually care about all the people she professes to care about. Her children, Jaime, her father. She doesn't seem to think much of any of them outside of what their relationship to her is and how they can serve her. Before her POVS, I felt that she really loved Jaime and her children, and that this love was her redeeming quality. Now I think the case could be made that Cersei is a sociopath and is unable to feel empathy or form a real relationship with anyone.

This link is to a list of sociopathic personality traits, if anyone's interested.

http://www.sociopath...its/classic.htm

I actually prefer the show's version of Cersei to the book version of Cersei.

Agreed. The show made it a priority in season 1 to add character development for Cersei, and (having not yet read the books), those Cersei scenes were consistently among my favorite scenes of their respective episodes.

Reading the books now (just finished AFFC), Cersei is a lot of fun, but she has no real depth. Going forward, I think the show can have her be just as evil and stupid as the books, but she'll be a bit more relatable because of what we've already seen. Definite improvement, IMO.

I'm not sure I buy that Joffrey's death drove her insane when she was ready to poison Tommen just before Tywin pulled her out of the fires of the Blackwater. It's an inconsistency, but it seems to be the point RR is driving home. Cersei is always cool and calm on the outside, which made her increasing erraticism on the inside that much more human and poignant. That, and her sense of entitlement. She thought that the entire world was hers by birthright; that she was a moral person. Turns out she was just another of the overreaching, self-aggrandized nobility, more aware of her rights than her responsibilities, and that her own power was her only end and everything else in her life was a means to that end. If she were smarter, that may have been enough to make her a great woman, but the gown-shrinking episode reveals her vanity, re-arming the Faith showed her inability to see legitimate threats, and then trying to use the newly re-fanged faith to her ends demonstrates that she only sees mistakes when others make them. I'm glad to see someone evil get what they deserve, as so far the only person rewarded for being good and thoughtful is Jon Snow, and even he hates the new responsibilities thrust upon him by Sam and Maester Aemon. He's successful, but unhappy, and it was nice to at least see wickedness punished if goodness can't be rewarded.

My favorite Cersei moment was actually in the TV show. Before Robert is wounded, he and his queen have a moment where they reflect on what they've become, and how much they hate themselves for the things they've had to do to accrue power. The irony being Robert's naming Ned hand so that he won't have to exercise the power that he fought, killed and eventually died for. It was so human and frail, a feeling that each could only express to the other because they have to be strong in front of everyone else. It's a moment that shows how there still is a person somewhere in Cersei Lannister.

She slept with Jaime because someone told her she wasn't allowed to. Just to prove that she can have whatever she wants for no reason other than that she wants it. Accumulating pretty tokens like a crown and a king's guard were her ends in life, and for everyone talking about how she became reckless, her relationship with Jaime proves she always was reckless, willing to risk everything to get something just because she was told she couldn't have it. She never loved him, and Jaime burning the note proves he never loved (or at least no longer loves) her. I do look forward to seeing Lena Headey's portrayal of the queen-regent's downfall (and, possibly, her boobs. Just sayin'.).

One of the interesting things about the prophecy is that it might have just been said to rattle her. They were harrassing the witch when she gave the prophecy. She will be replaced with a younger, prettier queen? Cersei takes that to mean Margaery Tyrell, but valar morghulis. You don't have to be a seer to see that every queen gets replaced by someone younger and prettier, the way every king is replaced by someone younger and stronger. In this light, we have an insight into the queen's character. Only able to see the most obvious and thinly-veiled threats, she takes the prophecy to heart even though it is vague enough that it could easily be coincidence, and she only sees Margaery Tyrell, not the inevitable weakness and death that eventually lifts every bum from every throne. Perhaps the prophecy is less about the supernatural and more about Cersei's willingness to believe it. After all, it did say she would be queen, and she couldn't have been betrothed to Robert Baratheon before House Lannister sacked King's Landing (remember that the Lannisters were noncommital in Robert's rebellion until they knew that they could ensure Robert's victory by taking his side). If that part of the prophecy never comes true, we don't have the story, but Maggy did know she was of high birth and likely to end up in a place of power. Also, has anyone considered that by burning the letter Jaime became the valonqar? He is younger, be it by seconds.

• 2 months later...

In my case, I've beeng hating Cersei since book one. But now I get to read her POV I just love her. She's a hilarious character. Always drunk and slapping people around, that's so funny! and I makes us realize that Cersei it's just a high maintenance B, which it's ok considering she`s the queen. And I really love Lena Hadey as the actress who plays this role, 'cause she really got her essence. :D

I really liked Cersei's POV. I loved seeing how psychotic she is, and I think it added a lot to her character. Personally, I think part of her strategic genius was being able to hide all of her treachery from those around her for so long. She even hid her true self from Jamie. It wasn't until a certain person passed away, that she was able to stop hiding, and truly take control. And when she finally had the reigns to herself, and was able to make unquestioned calls, she began to make terrible decisions. Turns out the person who died--and others who had been helping her until that point--were really the ones responsible for her position in life. Smooth switch there, GRRM!

In my case, I've beeng hating Cersei since book one. But now I get to read her POV I just love her. She's a hilarious character. Always drunk and slapping people around, that's so funny! and I makes us realize that Cersei it's just a high maintenance B, which it's ok considering she`s the queen. And I really love Lena Hadey as the actress who plays this role, 'cause she really got her essence. :D

Agreed. I truly love to hate her.

Though I don't understand the lesbian antics as a literary device. Was GRRM trying to show that women are emotionally capable of rape?

If it wasn't for Cersei's (and Jaime's) chapters, I probably wouldn't have read the book at all.

It was really interesting (and entertaining) to realized how crazy Cersei is!

Same here. I just wanted to ready quickly the other chapters to get to theirs (and Arya's)

You know, I've read her chapters and re-watched season 1 (tomorrow I might start with s2), and I find Lena Heady's interpretation so accurate. hahaha I mean, the weird facial expressions she makes, the condescentend and at the same time despective looks... she's flawless!

Archived