[Pre-ADwD Spoilers] Tyrion 2 - Spoilers for ADWD

Jon Targaryen

Wasn't it said that Quentyn Martell is the leader of a mercenary company (it seems like I heard it somewhere hrom someone). Could it be golden company, could it be that Quentyn is leading them towards Denny per Doran's order ?!

I tought that Quentin just bought theme.

Wouldn't it be joy to behold ?!

Yes, it would.

But I think that Tyrion shall burn Bronn before that duel :P

I tought that Quentin just bought theme.

We can't even be sure of that. All we know is that Quentyn is somewhere in the east and that the Golden Company broke it's last contract. The notion that Quentyn hired the GC to take the throne of Dorne is a notion thought up by Arianne, with no real substance behind.

We can't even be sure of that. All we know is that Quentyn is somewhere in the east and that the Golden Company broke it's last contract.

According to the smallest council, the Company broke its contract with Myr and was riding hard for Volantis. In one of his Not A Blog entries, GRRM noted that he wrote a chapter featuring

SPOILER: New PoV
Volantis from the new PoV (Quentyn). I don't think this is coincidence.

According to the smallest council, the Company broke its contract with Myr and was riding hard for Volantis. In one of his Not A Blog entries, GRRM noted that he wrote a chapter featuring
SPOILER: New PoV
Volantis from the new PoV (Quentyn). I don't think this is coincidence.

Are you sure? I seem remember GRRM stating that he wrote a PoV, not speciffcly the new PoW

All we currently know is that Quentyn and GC will be both in Volantis on some point. The chance that they will meet there is great but we could not be sure. Neither there is any indication that Quentyn indeed had something to do with GC decision to break the contract and to move to the east. After all there are a lot of very different people on their way to Slaver’s Bay and they aren’t connected to each other.

Arianne isn't making up the connection out of whole cloth. House Yronwood has traditionally been a supporter of Bittersteel, and Cletus Yronwood and three of his retainers are accompanying Quentyn to Volantis. What's more, they've been given scrolls (as in plural) with Prince Doran's seal on them. One may be for Dany, but what about the other(s)? It makes the most sense to conclude that Doran arranged a deal of sorts with the Golden Company through Anders Yronwood, whereby Quentyn would meet the Golden Company in Volantis and march towards Meereen together.

All we currently know is that Quentyn and GC will be both in Volantis on some point. The chance that they will meet there is great but we could not be sure. Neither there is any indication that Quentyn indeed had something to do with GC decision to break the contract and to move to the east. After all there are a lot of very different people on their way to Slaver’s Bay and they aren’t connected to each other.

:lol:

All too true my friend. Tyrion, Quentyn, Victarion, possibly Euron (to keep an eye on Victarion), Marwyn. I just noticed something. All their names end in "n". LOL. I can't wait to read, from either tyrion's or daenrys' or quentyn's pov how they will all react to one another. Lots of intrigue and hopefully revelations. :D

• 2 months later...
Well assuming that Grif is obviously John Connington he surely could be not on the best terms with GC. After all they are descendants of rebels and he is Targ’s loyal. But if they mean to enter Dany’s why should he worry? After all common goal should mend old differences. As for rival for Dany’s welcome Jon Connington was Rhaegar close friend and Selmi will surely recognize him so Grif has here nothing to worry about. Still he think that he should hurry. And why Illirio think that the fact that “dragon has three heads†makes the difference?

Just curious - does anyone else suspect that Tyrion's uncle (Gerion) who wandered off looking for the lost Lannister Valyrian steel sword (Brightroar) might make turn up somewhere around here? I guess Griff is more likely to be Connington, given the symbols, but I remember happening upon that tale in a re-read and wondering if he might make an appearance in Dany's entourage somewhere. Just a thought...

I suppose it is unlikely - if a Lannister was in the Free Cities, he probably would have come back when he heard about the insanity going on on the other side of the Narrow Sea. And, if it was only 8 years ago that Gerion left, not all that much time to get involved with sellswords. Ah well - I killed my own idea. ;)

I suppose it is unlikely - if a Lannister was in the Free Cities, he probably would have come back when he heard about the insanity going on on the other side of the Narrow Sea. And, if it was only 8 years ago that Gerion left, not all that much time to get involved with sellswords. Ah well - I killed my own idea. ;)

I would say extremely unlikely. Besides what you said Grif has a recently knighted son and that means at least 16 years old. Gerion’s only known chills is his bastard daughter that is 11 years old.

Yet I think that there is a high probability that we will learn about Gerion’s fate thought not necessary in the next book.

Arianne isn't making up the connection out of whole cloth. House Yronwood has traditionally been a supporter of Bittersteel, and Cletus Yronwood and three of his retainers are accompanying Quentyn to Volantis. What's more, they've been given scrolls (as in plural) with Prince Doran's seal on them. One may be for Dany, but what about the other(s)? It makes the most sense to conclude that Doran arranged a deal of sorts with the Golden Company through Anders Yronwood, whereby Quentyn would meet the Golden Company in Volantis and march towards Meereen together.

Very good and perceptive thinking here. Taking into account that in Martin’s books even small details have their meaning you are very probably right. Besides GC is heading for Volantis and we know that on of the ADWD chapters will take place there. It’s possible that Quentyn and GC have an arranged meeting there to continue together.

P.S. I only hope that GRRM will finish ADWD soon.

• 6 months later...
3. Potential threat number two, Westeros acts as kind of a buffer to the Others?

Valyrian Steel is effective against Others, so I don't think they'd be as afraid of a conflict as everyone else, but who knows if they ever met.

I agree with what was said, they probably had bigger problems closer to home, and they're not like the Dothraki conquest for conquest's sake. They have lands to defend and that's more important. Interesting points though.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
What can kill an Other? Dragonglass! Whats is Dragonglass? Frozen fire of Dragons ( Melisandre's quote)

So I dont think Valyrians were scared of Others!

Perhaps because you are underestimating the Others.

That can animate the Dead to their bidding, alot of birds in Westeros and some are very big and one they have killed a Dragon, the Dragon will likely rise.

Maybe the Valyrians were scared of the Others because they knew what the Others were truely capable of.

Too use some way out of there examples.

Ever seen Day after Tommorrow where the British Helicopters fly into a cold front, freeze up and drop out of the sky?

Or X-Men 3, where Iceman overwhelms and freezes Pyro? (and a godly amount of other examples of Cold based Comic book characters defeating Fire based ones. ie Iceman walking out of a exploded and on fire petrol tanker in his iceform unfazed).

Maybe the Valyrians didn't want to start arms proliferation. You know the old, The Police had revolvers, the Crooks got semi-automatics, the Police got fully automatics, the Crooks did the same, the Police got Kevlar, the Crooks got armour piercing rounds.

And Dragonclass is Obisdian not Frozen Dragonflame, thats just peasant talk.

Guest Other-in-law

About the chapter set in Volantis; while Quentyn is obviously a good candidate for that POV, he's not the only one. Ran recently revealed that Volantis is situated at the mouth of the River Rhoyne and...well, there's no sense in bothering with spoiler tags since in the spoiler chapter that this thread is about, Tyrion is traveling toward Slaver's Bay on the River Road. He could easily pass through the city as well.

Archived