[ADWD SPOILERS] Where Is Rickon?

eddardstark

I'm assuming that Wex heard Osha talking about where Rickon would go. But where is it? Apparently Davos does not like it very much... And what happened to Davos, anyway? We saw Wyman Manderly with Ramsay at Winterfell, but where did Davos go? Did he start directly from White Harbor? Is he even going to try to find Rickon? I mean, it's literally some random lord asking him a dangerous favor. I wouldn't do it. But anyways, I heard somewhere that it was Skagos, but can anyone confirm this?

Can't remember where I saw it but grrm hinted that rickon is on the island of Skagos with Osha

We have at least three hints for Skagos.

First is someone (Sam, I think) seeing a cog broken up on the shore of Skagos in AFFC.

Second is Jon's wolf dream where he sees shaggy dog fighting a gigantic goat that wounds him with "one long horn" (Skagos is rumored to have unicorns)

Third is Davos thinking when he sees where the knife sticks in the map that he'd almost rather be back in prison than go to a land where the men are rumored to eat other men (Skagos has a reputation for cannibalism).

I'm assuming that Wex heard Osha talking about where Rickon would go. But where is it? Apparently Davos does not like it very much... And what happened to Davos, anyway? We saw Wyman Manderly with Ramsay at Winterfell, but where did Davos go? Did he start directly from White Harbor? Is he even going to try to find Rickon? I mean, it's literally some random lord asking him a dangerous favor. I wouldn't do it. But anyways, I heard somewhere that it was Skagos, but can anyone confirm this?

Davos is not with Manderly, we assume he went after Rickon. Davos wants to secure the north for Stannis, and Manderly told him that the best way to do that is to have the young heir of Winterfell. So it's not a favor rather than an attempt to secure rickon for Stannis.

Davos is not with Manderly, we assume he went after Rickon. Davos wants to secure the north for Stannis, and Manderly told him that the best way to do that is to have the young heir of Winterfell. So it's not a favor rather than an attempt to secure rickon for Stannis.

I think we can safely assume that Davos went to Skagos to find Rickon. Based on what we know of Skagos, this could be some very, very interesting reading. According to Sam's description in AFFC;

The island sat at the mouth of the Bay of Seals, massive and mountainous, a stark and forbidding land, peopled by savages.They lived in caves and grim mountain fastnesses, Sam had read, and rode great shaggy unicorns to war.Skagos meant "stone" in the Old Tongue.The Skagosi named themselvesthe stoneborn, but their fellow northmen call them Skaggs and liked them little.Only a hundred years ago Skagos had risen in rebellion. Their revolt had taken years to quell and claimed the life of the Lord of Winterfell and hundreds of his sworn swords. Some songs said the Skaggs were cannibals; supposedly their warriors ate the hearts and livers of the men they slew.In ancient days, the Skagosi had sailed to the nearby isle of Skane, seized its women, slaughtered its men, and ate them on a pebbled beach in a feast that lasted for a fortnight. Skane remained unpeopled to this day.

As Blackbird rounded the south coast of Skagos, they spotted the wreckage of a galley on the rocks. Some of her crew had washed up on the shore, and the rooks and crabs had gathered to pay them homage.

So, the Skagos have no love for the northmen and especially for the Lord of Winterfell. I wonder which Lord of Winterfell it was that died? I need to check back when Bran and Theon are naming the Winterfell Lords in the Winterfell crypt. Might be something interesting. This would have occured about 2 generations before Ned as Lord.

If both Osha & Rickon survived, I hope Osha has enough sense to keep Rickon's identity secret.

If they survived, it is likely they are stuck there as it is not a tourist destination.

The wreckage of the galley is likely their boat. The timing is right and why else mention it?

By the time Davos arrives 2 to 3 years will have passed, with Rickon being 7 or 8. I can't imagine how he would survive the harsh life on Skagos without any scars. I hope GRRM does not have him turn into a cannibal, but wouldn't be surprised if he does.

This bodes to be another horrifying story.

Just desserts for Ramsey is if Rickon yanks his heart out and eats it!

Yeah, based on past history I'm fully expecting to find out that Rickon has had most of his face gnawed off my a cannibal, and Shaggy will be so feral that he will probably eat Davos.

Admit it, you won't be surprised, will you? He's a Stark after all.

About time we see Davos fight. I can't recall a description in the books where he has a sword or any type of weapon. Surely he was armed on the Blackwater.

Doubtful Davos would be a good fighter. He was a smuggler originally and then a captain. He probably never received any training in combat so probably can just brawl and maybe limited sword work but that's it.

He didn't even learn to read until SoS so the chance for any advanced training would be nill.

If Rickon is alive and I think it likely and necessary to the plot, then I doubt he has been partially eaten by the Skaggs. He hopefully still has shaggydog and Osha who is an expert at surviving in the wilds. If they are in hiding, Davos will have a hard time finding them as he will not get help from the Skaggs. We could see Davos fighting and getting his heart eaten. I hope not as Davos is one of my favorite characters.

I think Davos has to succeed and get them off Skagos but yeah, GRRM has a lot of room for murder and terror in this story. We saw Davos fight at Blackwater/Kings landing. He's fierce.

I think it more likely that after living there a couple of years that Rickon is assimilated, living with one of the tribes. He may not want to leave Skagos.

Also wonder if Bran knows where Rickon is. I bet their are weirwoods on Skagos. Perhaps Bran will try to help Rickon.

Yeah, have to agree with this. I must be a place you half to access with a boat, why else ask Davos to go get him.

Check the map out. Skagos is a large island due east of the Wall. The only way to get to skaos from anywhere is by boat. It is cold there. I wouldn't be surprised to learn there are other wildings who made it there in the past and settled.

Somehow telling him to trust Davos, maybe?

Yeah, that's my thought or helping him to remember that he is a northman from Winterfall. It didn't take long for Theon to forget who he was under extreme torture. God, I hope Rickon has not been tortured. He could think Skagos is his life forever and he was only 5 years old when he went there, his memories of Winterfell are weak. I can see him assimilating into the barbaric customs of Skagos easy.

Check the map out. Skagos is a large island due east of the Wall. The only way to get to skaos from anywhere is by boat. It is cold there. I wouldn't be surprised to learn there are other wildings who made it there in the past and settled.

Not only is Skagos settled it is considered part of the North under the rule of Winterfell and House Stark. There are three Houses on the Island and I am sure I read somewhere they had Unicorns also.

So, the Skagos have no love for the northmen and especially for the Lord of Winterfell. I wonder which Lord of Winterfell it was that died? I need to check back when Bran and Theon are naming the Winterfell Lords in the Winterfell crypt. Might be something interesting. This would have occured about 2 generations before Ned as Lord.

When Bran sees visions of the past through the trees he sees a women heavy with child who kneels before the tree and asks the old gods for a son who would avenge her. Maybe she's the wife of this Lord of Winterfell that died? I think the timing would fit...before Ned/Lyanna/Brandon/Benjen, but after Ser Duncan the Tall (presumably the tall Knight from the visions)

So, any thoughts on how and why Osha went to Skagos? It seems an odd choice. Why not the Last Hearth or White Harbor? Skagos seems rather difficult to get to.

That is probably the point. Why stay at a place that is easy to get to? And Osha probably feels safer with the more wild folks of Skagos than with the Umbers (who hate wildlings) or with the Manderlys (they seemed like the odd-men out in the North, following the Seven and all).

Archived