[ADWD SPOILERS] Where Is Rickon?

eddardstark

I wonder if Manderly has people looking for Bran as well. Because, you know, Bran is ACTUALLY his "liege lord".

Or there could be an assumption that a cripple wouldn't have survived, nor would he be a very desirable liege lord (based on what we know of Westerosi culture and how they look at disabilities). Maybe Manderly feels it is better if Bran is never found, and he can shape Rickon (being younger and more malleable). If Bran ever did show up, Manderly could just be like "oops, my bad, we couldn't find you and assumed you dead." He's no worse that way, and he is making the play for his best outcome with looking for Rickon.

If this is so, how does Wex know about it? Was he actually on the ship? Or did he see them board and hear the tale of its crash later? Seems dubious. Much easier to imagine she boarded a ship headed that way (that may or may not be the one that crashed).

Yeah, the fact that Wex knows that they are indeed in Skagos suggest they did in fact go there willingly. If Wex simply saw them board a ship he would have no idea where it's final destination was. If Wex heard or saw Osha making plans to go to Skagos then that would explain how he knew where they were going.

I wonder if Manderly has people looking for Bran as well. Because, you know, Bran is ACTUALLY his "liege lord".

I bet he does. Wex could of heard Jojen state that their road was North. Since he was hiding in the weirwood tree where Maester Luwin had dragged himself, he would have heard him cautioning about going to closer places like Hornwood. Manderly could easily make the assumption that Bran & Hodor were traveling to the Wall to be with Jon. I bet he has someone checking out the Wall or has a NW connection that he can communicate via raven with. When he finds Bran not there he has a dead end.

Yeah, if he's eight then it's been five years since AGOT. I don't think it's been that long. I had assumed he was five based on how time is passing for the other characters. I have to admit though, in this case i would have NO problem with GRRM retconning Rickon as a bit older. Depending on his role to play, being a kindergartner may be just ridiculous. I guess we'll see.

Rickon was three when Robert & Lannister Co. visited Winterfell. It has been at least three years since the beginning of the story. I still think he is at least 7 years old and by the time Davos finds him and returns him, closer to 8. At 7 or 8, he is still a little boy who has been living/surviving with savages for a couple of years.

If this is so, how does Wex know about it? Was he actually on the ship? Or did he see them board and hear the tale of its crash later? Seems dubious. Much easier to imagine she boarded a ship headed that way (that may or may not be the one that crashed).

That's been asked before with no resolution. Either the boat was supposed to go to Skagos originally and instead of successful landing, crashed or Rex doesn't know that they were going to Skagos and made it up for some reason. If he made it up and Rickon is not there then Davos is in for a world of hurt searching an island for him that is populated by people that sound like Orcs.

If this was Osha's planned destination, why? Maybe she thought she could hide him there as it is a shunned island. Maybe she has family there.

I think the reason that has been asked without resolution is that there really isn't a logical reason to assume that Osha didn't choose her destination. As for her reasons for going there, I haven't a clue. But it is a reasonably logical choice. It also meets the most essential criterion for a Rickon destination - it explains why Robb (nor KL) never got a raven. But we don't need to be able to guess why she chose it. I'm sure we'll find out. But there MUST be a logical reason why Wex knew the destination. And the possibilities are limited by the fact that we know he is illiterate.

Rickon was three when Robert & Lannister Co. visited Winterfell. It has been at least three years since the beginning of the story. I still think he is at least 7 years old and by the time Davos finds him and returns him, closer to 8. At 7 or 8, he is still a little boy who has been living/surviving with savages for a couple of years.

The series started in the year 298 AL, and AFfC ended in 300 AL. It is possible that by the end of ADwD we are in 301, but we really don't know. So Rickon is no older than 5 right now. Unless it takes Rickon two years to be found, then he will probably be 6 when found.

According to the Wiki, he was born in 295. Joff's wedding/death was on the first day of 300, I believe. Do you think more than 2 years have passed since then? I stand by either 5 or 6.

Good question. Wex may have told then Bran was heading North of the wall and Manderlay may have been like "Yeah, fuck that."

Jojen didn't say that they were heading North of the Wall. He did not mention the Wall. He just told Osha that they were heading North. As we know from those Travel chapters all that is North are the North clansmen of various tribes, many who are now fighting with Stannis and the Wall. If Manderly actually put feelers out he might find that Liddle clansman in the cave that fed Bran & his crew and advised them to stay off of Kings Road. This was the last human contact Bran had until Sam at at the Night fort.

I think Sam will have a future role in breaking his vow to Bran and telling someone important that Bran went North of the Wall.The only person who might be willing to go North of the Wall to look for him is Jon and right now that looks unlikely but who knows Jon may have powers in the future that make it more likely, as well as possible communication with Bran.

According to the Wiki, he was born in 295. Joff's wedding/death was on the first day of 300, I believe. Do you think more than 2 years have passed since then? I stand by either 5 or 6.

Joff did not get married at Winterfell. It was awhile after Robert's death. I think we will have to agree to disagree on this. I think more than 3 years have passed since the beginning of the story at Winterfell when we know he was 3. For me he is 7 or 8.

Joff did not get married at Winterfell. It was awhile after Robert's death. I think we will have to agree to disagree on this. I think more than 3 years have passed since the beginning of the story at Winterfell when we know he was 3. For me he is 7 or 8.

I don't see where I ever claimed that he was married at Winterfell. And I don't even know how that affects anything. Unless you are saying events in different regions vary wildly in time despite happening in chapters that are fairly close together.

It is pretty much completely untenable to say that 4-5 years have passed.

ETA: Here is a link to the timeline at Wiki of Ice and Fire. It doesn't include ADWD yet, but at most that goes half a year past the end of Dance, probably less.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Years_after_Aegon%27s_Landing#Year_299_after_Aegon.27s_Landing

But it is absolutely canon that Joffrey was married on the first day of the 300th year. I certainly don't think even a year has passed since Joffrey's wedding. Which means we are still in 300 AL.

I'm sorry buddy, but you're just wrong here. Rickon is 5-6.

Ok, so I took the time to do some research as to the timeline of ASOIF. The wiki says that the story starts in 298 and that 2 1/2 years have passed from then to AFFC. Depending on how much time was spent in the latter half of ADWD when the plot is moved forward, we likely are 3 years into the story. Rickon started as age 3 and most likely 6 now.

In reading these books and all of the events it feels like more than 3 years has passed. George wanted to skip 5 years between ASOS and AFFC because the Stark children were younger than he wanted for his story. He says in retrospect he should have added 2-3 years to the children;s ages in the beginning. So in the beginning Sansa was 12 and Arya 10, Bran 7, and Rickon 3. Now they would be 15, 13, 9, 6 respectively. Hard to believe that Arya is becoming a 13 year old assasin and Bran a farseer living in a tree at age 10. No wonder George was trying to age them a bit.

Ok, I know about all the hints and such that suggest Skagos... but how would Wex know that? He followed them by land, not by sea. He would have lost them at whatever port they left from. Also, whatever ship they took would not have been bound for Skagos, but simply wrecked there. As far as Wex should have known, they were headed for somewhere else... how would he know they wrecked on that Island?

Ok, I know about all the hints and such that suggest Skagos... but how would Wex know that? He followed them by land, not by sea. He would have lost them at whatever port they left from. Also, whatever ship they took would not have been bound for Skagos, but simply wrecked there. As far as Wex should have known, they were headed for somewhere else... how would he know they wrecked on that Island?

If you read the thread, it has been posited that the ship was likely bound for Skagos. Wex can't read, but he could have overheard Osha making the arrangements or sailors talking about their destination. We don't know for sure that it wrecked on the Skagos shoreline, just that Bran going south from the wall on a ship bound for Oldtown saw a wrecked ship in the Skagos shoreline. What is point of George putting this detail in if it does not matter?

The question for me is why did Osha go to Skagos with Bran? She has to know it's reputation as barbaric cannibals who ride shaggy unicorns. The island has a long bloody history. Certainly, no-one would think to look for him there. I think Osha is up to something. Why should we trust her?

If you read the thread, it has been posited that the ship was likely bound for Skagos. Wex can't read, but he could have overheard Osha making the arrangements or sailors talking about their destination. We don't know for sure that it wrecked on the Skagos shoreline, just that Bran going south from the wall on a ship bound for Oldtown saw a wrecked ship in the Skagos shoreline. What is point of George putting this detail in if it does not matter?

The question for me is why did Osha go to Skagos with Bran? She has to know it's reputation as barbaric cannibals who ride shaggy unicorns. The island has a long bloody history. Certainly, no-one would think to look for him there. I think Osha is up to something. Why should we trust her?

I can not recall, but did was it ever verified that she came over the wall? Is it possible, her and the men with her when she was captured were actually from Skago's? Maybe that's her home, which is why she thought she could keep him safe there.

I can not recall, but did was it ever verified that she came over the wall? Is it possible, her and the men with her when she was captured were actually from Skago's? Maybe that's her home, which is why she thought she could keep him safe there.

Yes.

Osha said when she and her companions confronted Bran in the Winterfell woods:

"You're as stupid as you are ugly, Hali," said the tall woman. "The boy's worth nothing dead, but alive... gods be damned, think what Mance would give to have Benjen Stark's own blood to hostage!"

"Mance be damned," the big man cursed. "You want us to go back there, Osha? More fool you. Think the white walkers will care if you have a hostage?

From this, maybe we should be wondering if Osha will try to ransom Rickon to Davos?

The other thread was called Osha and Rickon if people want to read it. It wasn't very long. I would repost my arguements here, but I'm lazy. :P I like the theory that Osha might random Rickon though! That's a good one. But maybe they're really good friends now?

The other thread was called Osha and Rickon if people want to read it. It wasn't very long. I would repost my arguements here, but I'm lazy. :P I like the theory that Osha might random Rickon though! That's a good one. But maybe they're really good friends now?

Thanks, I will check it out. Ever since I learned that Rickon may be on Skagos, I have been thinking of the possibilities of this story line. I think George can draw us another horror story with this one.

Kinda off topic... But if Rickon is found, and assuming Bran is not or turns down the seat (that would make sense since he would not be able to produce any heirs, so it would go to Rickon or Rickons sons eventually anyways)... Who will be his Regent/Lord Protector until he comes of age? Sansa is a possibility I guess... but other then a Stark, who would all the Northern lords support to be the one to raise and teach the young lord, as well as rule?

Archived