Chapter 38 - Tyrion

lezboyd

Tyrion's conversation with the Rep Viper started out fine enough, but got a little confusing towards the end, and some of it did not make sense to me, and hence this thread. My doubt is mentioned in the spoilers in case you have not read this far.

Tyrion takes the embarrassing story about his infancy very well, as is his character, but then when the Red Viper mentions that he wants the name of the person who ordered Clegane to kill his sister, Tyrion responds with a threat and rides off. I was a little confused about this sudden chance of tone, especially because the Dornishmen are important from a tactical point of view, and offending them would not do any good. It was Tyrion who set up this alliance in the first place, and he of all should have known how important it is.

However, I must say that this must be about the only chapter so far (books 1 and 2 included) that has me confused. These novels are very well written, and I absolutely love the unexpected twists and turns the various character undergo. The part about Sansa's marriage, Theon Greyjoy's stupidity, Danny's acquisition of the Unsullied, and Samwell having to journey towards the Wall with Ginny and her babe, being the best ones so far. Although I must say I am getting a bit frustrated about where Arya's story is headed.

Well...Tywin Lannister gave the order that Oberyn is upset about, and maybe Oberyn has a sneaking suspicion this is the case but wants an admission of guilt? Obviously, Tyrion does not want The Red Viper to find that out, so he gives a veiled threat to make it clear that the Lannisters will not put up with any funny business.

Well...Tywin Lannister gave the order that Oberyn is upset about, and maybe Oberyn has a sneaking suspicion this is the case but wants an admission of guilt? Obviously, Tyrion does not want The Red Viper to find that out, so he gives a veiled threat to make it clear that the Lannisters will not put up with any funny business.

But given Tyrion's cunning and the Lannisters' shrewdness,

one would expect that Tyrion would fake agreement, inform his father and suggest arranging things such that Clegane is presented to Oberyn without a tongue (or dead), if it indeed boils down to presenting Clegane to Oberyn. Both Tywin and Tyrion have done such things before, and in Tyrion's chapter before this one, we see how quickly he plotted to kill off the singer who knew about him and Shae in order to protect Shae.

Archived