LA Book Signing - July 26, 7:00pm

I've been debating camping out as well, if you're still looking for a line buddy and don't mind that I'm also new here. In any case, thanks for sharing the signing info.

Sounds good! I'm questioning my ability to camp out. But what about meeting around 5 am? Do you think that's enough lead time?

Thanks for the info! Does this mean that they expect folks to camp out to get wristbands? Hrm.....not a good sign since I won't be able to get there until noon or so.

Yes, I think they do expect us to camp out for wrist bands or at least line up early. They'll be distributing them at 9am. I assume they'll limit them to one per person or I'd offer to nab one for you.

Sounds good! I'm questioning my ability to camp out. But what about meeting around 5 am? Do you think that's enough lead time?

That was my original plan, actually, but unfortunately public transportation where I am doesn't start early enough to get me there for 5. So I'm thinking I might stop by tomorrow evening to get a feel for whether I need to camp out or if getting there around 7:30 or 8 will be sufficient.

That was my original plan, actually, but unfortunately public transportation where I am doesn't start early enough to get me there for 5. So I'm thinking I might stop by tomorrow evening to get a feel for whether I need to camp out or if getting there around 7:30 or 8 will be sufficient.

Why do I have this horrible feeling I'm going to be the oldest person there?

Okay, let me know if you decide to camp out and I'll come meet you with provisions. Otherwise, I can just save you a spot in line when I go in the morning. But if I go there at 5 am and the line has already gotten too insane, I may just give up and go cry into my mulled wine.

Okay, let me know if you decide to camp out and I'll come meet you with provisions. Otherwise, I can just save you a spot in line when I go in the morning. But if I go there at 5 am and the line has already gotten too insane, I may just give up and go cry into my mulled wine.

That sounds like a good plan to me--thanks! I'll post an update tomorrow evening when I see what things look like at The Grove, for anyone else interested.

Yes, please post the update. I won't be able to get down their until 8ish in the morning. But if the line is insane, I would rather not make the trip from the valley.

Btw Hedgerow, I am 37 and I believe both Cue and Teli are in there mid to late 30s.

Maybe I'll drive by there at 9 AM and see if I can score a wristband. I got a meeting at 9 AM, so gotta figure out how to skip that... doh.

Do you have to buy the book that day at 9 AM, or do you have to buy it some other day and show up with the receipt? I assume since the store opens at 9 AM, I might get screwed if I buy it that day... also, do you think you have to buy it from THAT B&N, or can I buy it at another one?

I'm up for meeting wherever, but we have to pull the trigger ASAP. I don't know if Whisper Lounge has a back room which maybe we can reserve so George isn't potentialy sitting out with the unwashed masses. If he's not showing though, probably not a big deal.

Yes, please post the update. I won't be able to get down their until 8ish in the morning. But if the line is insane, I would rather not make the trip from the valley.

Btw Hedgerow, I am 37 and I believe both Cue and Teli are in there mid to late 30s.

Okay, we'll report back. Again, if I get a place in line and you can find me (do you feel like you're hiring the A Team?) then I'm happy to save spots. (And thanks for the reassurance, Blackfyre. Sounds like I'll be right in the pocket.)

Do you have to buy the book that day at 9 AM, or do you have to buy it some other day and show up with the receipt? I assume since the store opens at 9 AM, I might get screwed if I buy it that day... also, do you think you have to buy it from THAT B&N, or can I buy it at another one?

I think you just need a receipt from any B&N at any time, but I can't swear to it.

As for the meetup, I hope it happens because I'd love to drink with you guys. I called the Cheesecake Factory (vile) and they have no private room. The Whisper Lounge says they often accommodate groups-- with reservations-- in their lounge area (which is quite pretty) after signings. There's also a somewhat secluded booth in their formal dining room which gets less traffic. Personally, I think the lounge area sounds like more fun.

We could also hedge our bets and make a reservation at The Tar Pit in case GRRM wants to join and prefers an off-campus venue.

Someone else might have better information, but my understanding is that you can either bring your receipt or buy a book at the store that day. I believe they'll have the books at the register, so you won't lose time running around the store looking for a copy.

EDIT: Just called B&N and they confirmed what hedgerow said: your receipt can be from any Barnes & Noble.

(For the record and for whatever it's worth, I'm 41.)

I'm 32. I think the BwB croud at our last event had a pretty wide range, from mid-twenties to late 40s. Although for a while I use to go with another BwBer living nearby who was only 19, and I'd make him DD for me...

Worst case you can make your escape after one drink.

Edit: Also, should we set a pre/post time to meet up?

Maybe meet at Whisper Lounge at 5 PM (or whenever), and we can hang out. Afterwards we can end up wherever (or back at Whisper).

I'm about to leave to check out things at The Grove, since it takes me 2 to 2-1/2 hours to get there. I'm bringing my netbook with me in hopes of posting an update with any information I get, but it's sometimes temperamental about connecting to unfamiliar wireless networks. If I haven't posted by 11:30 tonight, that means I'm camping out and the netbook wasn't feeling cooperative.

If I do camp out, my plan is to go to the final movie of the night at the Arclight for a last few hours of comfort and access to a restroom, and then be in line around 1:30. Just in case hedgerow or anyone else decides to show up tonight, I have glasses, dark hair in a braid, and a camouflage-colored walking cane.

Will definitely post if I can, though.

Ah crap, I won't be able to camp out, but might be able to be there at 9 am. If anyone can post line conditions in the wee hours of the morning, that would be awesome.

So, it's likely I will just be joining up for the hanging out part. If that's the case, I will try and be there around 7-8 pm. I am 42, so maybe I will be the oldest one there! It sounds like The Whispers is the place, yah?

Oh, and I am only half way through ADWD. Anyone else still reading? I am just wary of spoilers..... :)

Good luck, muskrit! If the line looks like it's getting crazy and it's at all possible, please post and I'll hurry over. Otherwise, I'm shooting for 5am and will update on conditions.

I'll be the drowsy blond in glasses. If any of you are on twitter, I'm there as @Lbardugo.

Hope to meet up with you guys in line or at Whispers Lounge after!

Ah crap, I won't be able to camp out, but might be able to be there at 9 am. If anyone can post line conditions in the wee hours of the morning, that would be awesome.

So, it's likely I will just be joining up for the hanging out part. If that's the case, I will try and be there around 7-8 pm. I am 42, so maybe I will be the oldest one there! It sounds like The Whispers is the place, yah?

Oh, and I am only half way through ADWD. Anyone else still reading? I am just wary of spoilers..... :)

don't worry Teli both my wife and I are still reading as well so we can form the non spoiler table :D

Thanks, Muskrit and Hedgerow for sharing info. Much appreciated. :) Good luck tomorrow!

don't worry Teli both my wife and I are still reading as well so we can form the non spoiler table :D

Yay! The non-spoiler table! We can sit around and talk about AFFC...like we have been for the past 5 years. Heh. I swear, the first time I went to a signing for George, there was no line and I ranted at him for 4 minutes about wanting a Cersei POV before the next person showed up. These signings now are out of control, but I'm so happy for him.

If I do camp out, my plan is to go to the final movie of the night at the Arclight for a last few hours of comfort and access to a restroom, and then be in line around 1:30. Just in case hedgerow or anyone else decides to show up tonight, I have glasses, dark hair in a braid, and a camouflage-colored walking cane.

1:30am?! Really? I might run by there after two (going out to a bar with a few girlfriends) just to see how many of you guys are there! There's a CVS right across 3rd if you need anyone to run and grab you a bite to eat or anything. :P

I have a really early call tomorrow am, but I'm still planning on swinging by...I'll keep checking here as to a time and the exact place.

Can't wait to see you guys and gals again! Oh and I'm about 200 pages from the end. I've been really pacing myself...read a chapter, sit and think on it awhile, lol. So save me a seat at the non-spoiler table.

Just got back from my journey to The Grove. I talked to four people at the bookstore and then a guy from The Grove's concierge desk, who consulted the security department, and this is what I found out:

• You are NOT allowed anywhere on Grove property during off-hours. This includes lining up next to Banana Republic. They have a 24 hour security patrol and will kick you out.
  • You ARE allowed on the street, though. Recommended waiting area is at Third and Gillespie. (For reference, Banana Republic is on Gillespie, which is a little street that runs into The Grove.) At around 8 am, the line will be moved inside The Grove to the front of Barnes & Noble.
  • The floor manager would not tell me how many wristbands they're giving out for the event. One of the other employees guessed it's 300 but wasn't sure.
  • There will be regular wristbands and a limited number of "priority" wristbands for B&N members. I'm pretty sure they'll be selling the memberships at the time of giving out wristbands, if you want to go that route.
  • If you don't get a wristband, there will be a standby line. It's up to George how many people he'll sign for beyond the wristbands.

Finally, they're expecting a "large turnout" but it didn't sound like they're expecting a lot of people to camp out. My guess is that people will start lining up between 4 and 5, but of course that's pure speculation on my part. I've looked at the transit schedules and I think the earliest I can get back to The Grove by 6:30 or 6:45. If anyone is going earlier and would be willing to save me a spot in line, I would be incredibly grateful.

Archived