The prologue

Bronn is God

Cersei chapter. Not sure if you want to know which one (or how many there're going to be), so I put the chapter number in spoiler tags just in case.

Cersei VIII

I'm fairly sure Pate got mentioned at least once earlier, though.

Cersei chapter. Not sure if you want to know which one (or how many there're going to be), so I put the chapter number in spoiler tags just in case.

Cersei VIII

I'm fairly sure Pate got mentioned at least once earlier, though.

No I appreciate it! I have only read 2 Cersei chapters so far. Reading it with ADWD so it's going to take me a little while to get there.

Was anyone else blown away by the prologue? I honestly felt that these 20 pages were the pinnacle of Martin's writing and was the best chapter out of all the books (as CRAZY as that sounds).

Everything about this chapter was just so perfect. From Pate and his thoughts, to his companions, to the description of Oldtown, what was done at the Citadel, the chain forging, etc. Just wow.

I actually agree. Maybe it's just that Oldtown and its mysteries interests me greatly, plus I like the Dornish girls, but I think it is a fantastic chapter, my favorite also.

• 3 weeks later...

Man I'm too stupid to read these books. The Alchemist being Jacquen (or another faceless man) never even occurred to me but of course that has to be it. That's why you're supposed to be surprised at the end when its Pate that Sam is talking to. I'm an idiot.

Just finished The Prologue and I have to say it wasn't all that bad. It started off pretty confusing but by the time I got to the end of it I felt back in the swing of things.

Only major concerns are why/how did the Alchemist (Jaqen?) kill Pate? Didn't Pate essentially do what the Alchemist wanted?

I'm assuming this will be revisited later on and if so, just tell me to keep on reading.

• 2 weeks later...

Pate is Tommens whipping boy. If Tommen acts like a little dick, Pate gets the lashes. He was Joffereys whipping boy too.

Completely different Pate.

Concur.

My notion is that this Faceless Man has been hired as part of the conspiracy Arya saw in the under-levels of the Red Keep (GoT). Not entirely sure what he hopes to achieve though? Are Faceless Men simply assasins, or can they be hired for any job? It seems to me that doing tasks other than assasination does not fit with their religious tenets but i could be wrong.

How does this sound: The Man With No Face kills Marwyn, impersonates him while travelling to meet with Dany, whom he intends to murder to prevent her return to Westeros. At this point I get a bit stuck as i've not read ADWD so have no clue what is going on with our little Queen.

Thoughts?

The FM being hired by Varys and Illyrio seems unlikely. You can hire FM, LF mentions the possibility of hiring one to kill Dany in aGoT.

The FM impersonating Pate has been in Oldtown for a while, by the time we meet Marwyn at the end of Feast. If he had wanted to kill Marwyn, he probably had plenty of chances to do so, yet didn´t. And now Marwyn is leaving, making the scenario you describe extremely small.

Also, it wouldn´t line up with all the other things that the FM has been doing in Oldtown.

If you'll recall from...ACOK, I believe, the man who kills Pate in the prologue is described almost word for word as Jaqen H'ghar's transformed self. This almost confirms that the Alchemist is a Faceless man. From there, it's no great leap of logic to assume that the Alchemist assumed Pate's form, and, with possession of a Citadel key, in order to carry out a covert operation in a locked part of the Citadel.

The FM certainly has business in Oldtown, but it seems that the key he got from Pate was just a part of what he needed. It appears that not only does the FM need an object (or perhaps he doesn't need any object at all, but just wanted the key to be able to open and lock all the doors, creating escape routes for himself), but also information, information someone has and he will have to convince that person to tell him.

Archived