Unanswered questions at the end of SOS (spoilers probable, do not read unless you've finished the book or do not mind spoilers)

Arya79

Littlefinger does nothing without a reason that will benefit him in the end. He has Sansa, however, (though nobody knows) and in the end will be able to override the fake Arya when it comes to claim on Winterfell. I'm sure that's going to play to his advantage at some point somehow.

Littlefinger always comes out on top, I really hope he gets his comeuppance. He's a clever fellow but his entitlement complex really irks me.

Littlefinger always comes out on top, I really hope he gets his comeuppance. He's a clever fellow but his entitlement complex really irks me.

It's what I like to call an inferiority complex. He didn't have what he wanted when he was younger, and wasn't in a decent position of power, and now he is trying to "get what he feels he deserves." I'm with you though. He's clever, but I want him to get his in the end.

I feel that out of ALL the characters in the story, he's the one who has had to suffer the least, and that does NOT make me very happy. :thumbsdown:

This is what I think of him not suffering - :bs:

The very last chapter (Sansa) has a pretty shocking revelation. It stands to reason that Littlefinger should be at least as despicable as the Cersei, but for some reason, he's not.

The only reason I don't think people see him quite as despicable a character as Cersei is because of the drastic acts Cersei has done from the beginning, where as Petyr Baelish (Saying Littlefinger creeps me out) does subtle things where his plans have slowly been building in scale and becoming much larger each time.

And then...

He finally kills Lysa, and blames it on her idiot Merillion or whatever his name is musician, but everyone hates her so nobody really cares.

So in essence it doesn't appear as bad, but I highly dislike him, just as much as Cersei, but that's because he creeps me out. Poor Sansa.

I think he's supposed to be creepy. When he first sees Sansa in AGOT, it's even described how creeped out she felt when he stared at her. Despite that*, he doesn't come off as that odious. I wonder if the casting of Aidan Gillen (who I liked in THE WIRE and seems perfectly cast for the part) has anything to do with it. Even so, I don't remember hating him as much as seemed reasonable the first time I read the books.

*Also:

He did also leave Ned high and dry. Plus he fanned the flames in the first place by murdering Jon Arryn and blaming it on the Lannisters.

I think he's supposed to be creepy. When he first sees Sansa in AGOT, it's even described how creeped out she felt when he stared at her. Despite that*, he doesn't come off as that odious. I wonder if the casting of Aidan Gillen (who I liked in THE WIRE and seems perfectly cast for the part) has anything to do with it. Even so, I don't remember hating him as much as seemed reasonable the first time I read the books.

*Also:

He did also leave Ned high and dry. Plus he fanned the flames in the first place by murdering Jon Arryn and blaming it on the Lannisters.

I had forgotten about that, maybe that also takes part in why I highly detest Petyr Baelish. I don't like how he's perfectly set himself up in a good position, and there isn't much people can do to go about and get him off of The Eyrie because with "winter coming" it's not quite likely that they'll be able to get anyone to go up and take over The Eyrie by battle.

Nevermind the fact that we're constantly reminded that it's virtually impossible to overtake.

The man cast, Aidan Gillen you said, he's well cast. It doesn't make me like the character any more, however.

Well, there are two good reasons to like him or at least appreciate him somewhat:

1. He helped bring an end to the monstrous boy king Joffrey.
  2. He engineered Sansa's escape from King's Landing. Unfortunately, he did it so it coincided with Joffrey's murder so now she seems guilty. Whether or not that was his intent, I can't say. Doesn't seem likely, though.

He made it very clear that he will point the blame anywhere but himself.

Remember he even tells Sansa to always make sure her hands are clean. In reference to deeds like that. So Sansa is blamed? He doesn't care, and he's intelligent enough to know that she would look guilty, and she would get some blame.

However! Yay to the end of THAT! (your first point, Harak)

He made it very clear that he will point the blame anywhere but himself.

Remember he even tells Sansa to always make sure her hands are clean. In reference to deeds like that. So Sansa is blamed? He doesn't care, and he's intelligent enough to know that she would look guilty, and she would get some blame.

True, true.

Sure, although...

... reading FFC, he's starting to freak me out a bit more.

Still, there are at least a few who are higher up on my hate list: Cersei, Lord Walder Frey, Black Walder, Roose Bolton...

True...

I haven't gotten to anything with him yet, i'm still on Cersei. She's a bit annoying. Makes me want to strangle her even more.

I agree though Cersei, Lord Walder Frey, Black Walder, and Roose Bolton are all on my super-hate list. If Petyr Baelish were to suddenly get killed/die I wouldn't be sad about it, however I would prefer those other jerks die first.

I thought it would be fun to compile a list of open questions at the end of SOS.

Here are some questions I'd like to see answered in the next 2 installments:

-Where is Benjen Stark?

-What is Jon's true parentage?

-Will any of the Starks ever reunite?

-Who is the fake Arya and what is her intent?

-Is Theon Greyjoy really dead?

-Will we see Syrio again? (My feeling in this series is that if they don't describe the death, it may not have happened)

-What does Littlefinger want from Sansa?

-How is Tyrion going to make it on his own?

I'd love to hear some of your burning questions!

It would be interesting to revisit this list when we've finished AFFC and cross off answered questions and add new questions. I will start that board when I've finished AFFC (or someone else can start it sooner if they'd like).

-Where is Benjen Stark? - Uncertain; I think he could be dead, or Coldhands, or lost somewhere after finding the Children of the Forest (all conjecture); some think he is Coldhands, others disagree.

-What is Jon's true parentage? - Many believe he is Rhaegar and Lyanna's son, but that has not been confirmed.

-Will any of the Starks ever reunite? Yes, The North Remembers, and the Starks will rise again.

-Who is the fake Arya and what is her intent? I won't give away the identity of the girl, but she is there to give justification for Ramsay Snow (Bolton) to become Lord of Winterfell, which he can only do by marrying a Stark girl. It's to cement Northern allegiance to the new Warden of the North named by Tywin Lannister.

-Is Theon Greyjoy really dead? You'll find out in ADWD.

-Will we see Syrio again? (My feeling in this series is that if they don't describe the death, it may not have happened). I think it's pretty obvious that Syrio died - Ser Meryn Trant lived on after his encounter with Syrio, and though we don't see a body, it's obvious that Syrio would've killed Ser Meryn Trant if he was able, and also obvious that Ser Meryn Trant would've killed Syrio. It's unlikely Syrio "ran away", as he says, The First Sword of the Sealord of Braavos does not run. I think we won't see Syrio - but his lessons taught to Arya are carried on throughout her journey ("see with your eyes", the sword fighting), so in that way, a part of Syrio is always present.

-What does Littlefinger want from Sansa? He wants to get into her smallclothes. LF sees Sansa as a second chance with "Catelyn", this time LF is older and dominant in the relationship, and also Sansa is much prettier than her mother was. It's a chance for LF to get revenge upon the Starks for stealing the woman he loved, as he sees it in his mind.

-How is Tyrion going to make it on his own? Well, he's a crafty, clever fellow, so I'm sure he'll survive splendidly.

Here's a couple of questions I had.

Why is Davos released from prison and made the King's Hand if it was known, and he even confessed, that he wanted to kill Melisandre?

Coldhands says that Sam wasn't the one, there was someone else that he (Coldhands) was sent to find. So who was the one who sent Coldhands?

Did Margaery know ahead of time what was going to happen with Joff and that was why she was so unconcerned when Sansa warned her against him?

Here's a couple of questions I had.

Why is Davos released from prison and made the King's Hand if it was known, and he even confessed, that he wanted to kill Melisandre?

I'm not completely sure about this but I think it's a combination of Melisandre's 'prophecies' and Stanis wanting someone he can trust/someone who isn't a nutcase around him.

Coldhands says that Sam wasn't the one, there was someone else that he (Coldhands) was sent to find. So who was the one who sent Coldhands?

I don't think we know that yet. I would assume it's the '3 eyed crow', whoever/whatever that turns out to be. Infact, we don't even know who/what Coldhands is.

Did Margaery know ahead of time what was going to happen with Joff and that was why she was so unconcerned when Sansa warned her against him?

Gonna spoiler this bit as I can't remember whether it's the end of SoS or AFFC:

It's suggested that, while Littlefinger had something to do with it, The Queen of Thorns was also involved. Too what extent isn't clear yet. So, I guess it comes down to this; was Margaery aware of what was at hand or was she just calm because the QoT's told her to be.

I'm fairly certain, when it comes to Coldhands, that he is only leading them to the Three-Eyed Crow, but is not it himself. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure. I guess we will see in the end. He does seem to me almost like one of the wights, but... it'll be interesting to see who/what he is.

• 2 weeks later...

I never really hated on petyr baelish, I kind of felt bad for him most times. I don't think he got the same treatment in the book as in the show (in terms of exposure). So I really identify with his on-screen portrayal more.

He has an interesting history with the Tully women. Especially Cat, who was set up to appear extremely noble, and a "good" person, (but later we find she is not as strong and noble as it first seemed--

not to mention the final scene with her in SOS!! That creeps me out, I can't wait to see where her character is taken from there...

) I almost admire his ability to achieve what he has through careful planning and thought. Whereas everyone else (except Tyrion) attempts to solve their problems by brute force. Of course, that could just be the TV version talking...

I admit that he started to come off as a creep with his affection for Sansa, she is clearly put off by it, I wonder if she'll warm up to it. I don't see Petyr as having such monstrous ambitions, everyone he killed (I mean who's death he was responsible for) pretty much deserved it (except Ned.) I'm not saying he has noble intentions, but he, for the most part, seems kind and loyal to those he loves (which aren't many.)

Honestly though, after the last SOS Sansa chapter I feel like he is going to start going downhill fast... he is way too full of himself right now. I look forward with trepidation to see where his character will end up

Archived