[ADWD Spoilers] Victarion

Lord Pounce

I think he is more single- minded (and a little simple-minded perhaps) than one dimensional. I loved when he thought to himself "on wings of song I come to you, Danaerys", it was like serial killer poetry.

Hahaha, YES. To begin with the guy is stupid, brutish and has that kind of fanaticism that all religious ironborn seem to have--yet he's sort of like an idiot savant. He gets to the heart of things and acts honourably within his own definitions of such. I never saw it coming that he would be blessed by R'hllor, and it adds a frightening new dimension. Now he's fueled by TWO kinds of religious zeal, has a supernaturally strong hand (that looks totally badass) and his own sorceror to counsel him. All this on top of being one of the most dangerous warriors in the world, and the commander of one of the most powerful naval fleets.

I have a feeling Euron is a few steps ahead of him but I think Victarion is bound for success in his mission.

I really hated that guy back in AFfC, but I have to admit it. He is really great here. I still don't like the Greyjoys, but Victarion certainly is my weird and slow underdog hero now. No way he is going to marry Daenerys, but he might do something important later on. After all, and although the Damphair might not agree (but he is not here), he is protected by two gods now, even if his second god does not consider his first god as a real god ;-)

Does anyone think that his black hand is an intentional counterpart to Jaime's golden one? Perhaps they both represent a rebirth of sorts--Jaime's is associated with his new do-gooder mentality, and maybe Victarion's represents a turn to the dark side.

Turn to the dark side or not, the Iron Suitor chapter had me LOLing pretty hard. He's kind of an idiot but with Moqorro behind him he could do a lot of damage. Like Stannis, though, he'll probably always be somebody else's puppet rather than a true leader.

I hope he and Dany meet up soon. Sparks will fly (literally).

He is absolutely out of his freakin' Ironborn mind crazy in Dance...and I found myself liking him way more than I did in Feast. His hatred of monkeys. His choosing the hottest girls and everyone assuming he is going to keep them for sex, then setting them on fire on a boat to appease two gods with one stone. Telling the other girls..."congrats you can be saltwives now!" and the men "congrats, you can be quasi slave rowers now!" and being absolutely sincere about it. It was all so darkly hysterical.

Not to mention his "dusky" woman who he originally was going to kill but then decided he'd be better off having her around to bang and...bonus!...he doesn't have to listen to her mouth off because she is physically incapable of speaking. Unreal.

Except that Victarion has more sex appeal than Joffrey. When he's not killing you, that is.

Does he? Judging by Sansa's behavior during AGOT, Joffrey had plenty sex appeal.

Does he? Judging by Sansa's behavior during AGOT, Joffrey had plenty sex appeal.

For a 15-year-old girl, maybe. Most of us ladies on the board are older than that, I bet. :devil:

The thing that most detracts from Joff's sex appeal as a character is that not only is he a jerk, but he's a whiny coward who didn't remotely earn his position in life. Victarion's a jerk too, but at least he walks the walk. As detestable as his plans for Daenerys are, "I'm coming for you and I'm not taking no for an answer" is sexier than "I'm gonna have my henchman beat you up because it would be improper for me to do it."

I am so looking forward to the meeting between Daenerys and Victarion. I imagine it will be rather confusing to Victarion. Right now he is actually trying to do things that he imagines Daenarys will approve of, but he's going about it so WRONG it's hilarious. Like the "Daenarys frees slaves, so I will free slaves and make them salt wives and thralls"! And "The most beautiful woman in the world has urgent need of me, I will make her a widow!" I really don't see Dany appreciating all he's done for her, lol.

Thing is, though, our queen D has a thing for crude alpha males raping her with their eyes, so she might even fancy him. As long as he remembers who is Queen and keeps his hands off her dragons. Which he won't I guess. Ah, we'll see in five years or so...

In AFFC, he was a very complex and sympathetic character. I rather liked him. Now, he's Bronn 2.0: A self-serving, evil, completely angst-free, badass motherfucker. He's a ton of fun.

I especially liked the part where he found out that Dany is married. He doesn't feel that this is the slightest obstacle to his plans. He just goes, "Oh, well. Guesss I'll have to kill her husband before marrying her." He doesn't bat an eye. BAD ASS. :cool4:

While he obviously isn't a 'good' guy, I love his character. I'll echo several others in this thread who admire the simple, direct solutions he has to problems. He finds out that Daenerys is married, and he just thinks "Well, this won't be the first widow I've made." His twisted sense of values is also hilarious. While he's against slavery, he describes stealing thralls and salt wives to be "right and proper."

He is absolutely out of his freakin' Ironborn mind crazy in Dance...and I found myself liking him way more than I did in Feast. His hatred of monkeys. His choosing the hottest girls and everyone assuming he is going to keep them for sex, then setting them on fire on a boat to appease two gods with one stone. Telling the other girls..."congrats you can be saltwives now!" and the men "congrats, you can be quasi slave rowers now!" and being absolutely sincere about it. It was all so darkly hysterical.

Not to mention his "dusky" woman who he originally was going to kill but then decided he'd be better off having her around to bang and...bonus!...he doesn't have to listen to her mouth off because she is physically incapable of speaking. Unreal.

HAHA you mention all the reasons I am starting to love the guy. Don't forget when he told the Maester that if he cut of his hand he would kill him after he made a gift of his arse to the crew lol.

I hope he is able to do what he wants, but he probably won't be able to...

Well, at least Daenerys seems to think evil bastards are sexy. I wonder if she would fall in love with Joffrey if she met him (at least after he became King and stopped pretending to be nice - before that she wouldn't be interested).

I hope he is able to do what he wants, but he probably won't be able to...

Well, at least Daenerys seems to think evil bastards are sexy. I wonder if she would fall in love with Joffrey if she met him (at least after he became King and stopped pretending to be nice - before that she wouldn't be interested).

Naw, I don't think she digs blondes.

In my mind Victarion's not even a real character, but just a crazy force of nature knocking everything down. He's pretty flat as far as characterization goes, but on the other hand, he's just so... completely bizarre and resolute about what he does. It's fun to read in an "oh my god did he really do that" kind of way. I must not have been reading his chapters closely enough; I expected some silly moral quandary when he found out Dany was married, and instead... boom, he was going to make her a widow first. Holy shit.

Archived