[ADWD Spoilers] Victarion

Lord Pounce

I like Victarion. He is pretty high up on my list of favorite characters who are still alive (way ahead of Dany)

I think it is just because he is so...I dunno, blue-collar. He works (at reaving), goes to church (making sacrifices), and at the end of the day can kick back with the crew. He is refreshingly openminded (R'hollor isn't real. Oh wait, he can perform miracles? I guess he is real, but so is the Drowned God) and his honest confidence is really enjoyable to read.

Yes, and no.

He's lost it morally since AFFC, which I presume really means we just didn't know much about him. I was astonished when he killed those boys and slave women. (I wasn't surprised when he killed the maester, but I was horrified that he ignored his accusations of rape.)

But it was nice to see an evil bastard, especially after meeting the red priest. Seems those red priests really run the gamut. We have good ones (Thoros of Myr, for instance) and bad ones too.

Well, at least Daenerys seems to think evil bastards are sexy. I wonder if she would fall in love with Joffrey if she met him (at least after he became King and stopped pretending to be nice - before that she wouldn't be interested).

Dany certainly likes dominant guys and "bad boys," but that's not the same as liking evil guys (especially callow, evil cowards like Joffrey). They too easily provoke her moral outrage. She didn't like any of the slavers, for example. Drogo and Daario weren't evil by the standards of this story. And specifically, they weren't unkind to her. I think she would draw the line at a guy whose solution to wifely defiance is to have a henchman beat her up.

He's gross and annoying. But then again, most Greyjoys are. Sorry, Victarion lost me when he blames Euron for making him beat his wife to death after he found out Euron slept with her. And he sacrifices children to get a wind for his boat.

Yep, thoroughly disgusting, irredeemable character. I'm sure he'll end up on the Iron Throne.

Victarion's a boss. He's essentially just what all the Ironborn strive to be. I like him and Stannis for very similar reasons.

About all the sacrifices... so what? He's just a devout believer in the Drowned God. He's not murdering people in some wanton fashion and taking delight in it. He's just doing what the Ironborn have always done; 'reaving,' and bolstering his fleet as preparation for war. Instead of taking a ton of hostages halfway around the world and being forced to feed them the whole way, he's offering them to gods, something extremely common in his society.

He's a product of his society, but that doesn't make him cruel or evil. Are the people of Essos evil for owning slaves? Yeah, the people of Westeros think so... but that's hardly the case in Essos, as ADWD shows. Same difference between the culture of the wildlings and that of the rest of Westeros.

Victarion's a boss. He's essentially just what all the Ironborn strive to be. I like him and Stannis for very similar reasons.

Yeah, this. A lot of the other Ironmen come across as wannabees, or scumbags using the Old Way as an excuse to be assholes. Victarion really does believe in the culture and its supposed core values and the sort of behaviour expected of Ironborn. He just gets on with it. He doesn't really think about it and isn't all wrapped up in emo self-doubt, nor is he scheming and conniving (well, except from hating Euron), nor is he a psychopath who takes twisted pleasure in what he does.

I am ironman, therefore in this situation I should do x. No ifs, ands or buts, no agendas or convoluted scheming. He's uncomplicated, straightforward, does what he says he'll do, just gets on with the task at hand.

Sure, the task at hand might be killing, stealing, raping, murdering and human sacrifices but this is ASOIAF after all. Victarion is just so refreshingly blunt. He's one of the more honest characters. And yes, through our eyes and with our modern morality it's a bit weird to be describing a reaving killing machine like Victarion as honest, but that's the crazy world George has given us!

I like Victarion because he is a man with refreshingly clear motives. He's twisted, but his sense of action and purpose was a welcome break from the minute political maneuverings of other characters.

He's gross and annoying. But then again, most Greyjoys are. Sorry, Victarion lost me when he blames Euron for making him beat his wife to death after he found out Euron slept with her. And he sacrifices children to get a wind for his boat.

Yep, thoroughly disgusting, irredeemable character. I'm sure he'll end up on the Iron Throne.

:agree:

Yes, lovely unrepentant degenerate reaver, that's our Victarion, very quick to slaughter anyone, for just about any reason. Wonder how fast Dany will fall for him.

It would be a lovely reversal of GRRM's usual pattern if DragonBoy (Aegon) would actually be able to surprise and kill Victarion; but I just don't think the kid is experienced enough....

He's lost it morally since AFFC, which I presume really means we just didn't know much about him. I was astonished when he killed those boys and slave women. (I wasn't surprised when he killed the maester, but I was horrified that he ignored his accusations of rape.)

He didn't ignore them. He believed them. However, his solution is not to hang the offenders, it's to give the maester a knife.

In Victarion's world, if you're not strong enough to defend yourself, you deserve to be crushed by those that can.

I love Victarion, although I actually liked him in AFFC too. He's harsh and unyielding, but not without his own (completely twisted) sense of honor. He's definitely the kind of guy that Dany would go for, almost an ironborn version of Khal Drogo.

I have no idea how Stannis was able to defeat this guy in battle.

I love Victarion, although I actually liked him in AFFC too. He's harsh and unyielding, but not without his own (completely twisted) sense of honor. He's definitely the kind of guy that Dany would go for, almost an ironborn version of Khal Drogo.

I have no idea how Stannis was able to defeat this guy in battle.

Victarion was impatient and sailed himself into a bottleneck. Stannis was just convienently nearby to crush him as he tried to leave it.

He is absolutely out of his freakin' Ironborn mind crazy in Dance...and I found myself liking him way more than I did in Feast. His hatred of monkeys. His choosing the hottest girls and everyone assuming he is going to keep them for sex, then setting them on fire on a boat to appease two gods with one stone. Telling the other girls..."congrats you can be saltwives now!" and the men "congrats, you can be quasi slave rowers now!" and being absolutely sincere about it. It was all so darkly hysterical.

Not to mention his "dusky" woman who he originally was going to kill but then decided he'd be better off having her around to bang and...bonus!...he doesn't have to listen to her mouth off because she is physically incapable of speaking. Unreal.

Or throwing the perfumed boy prostitutes overboard then saying how much better it smelt.

The greyjoy's in general are a pretty dumb lot, and victarion is no exception.

but victarion is the best kind of crazy. I love the idea of some crazy warlord trying to please a water god and a fire god by juggling sacrifices back and forth. Whatever else it is, its surprisingly multi-cultural, and sets him apart from the more arrogant of his family (u know, everyone else).

2 GODS! 2! WHO CAN BEAT A MAN PROTECTED BY 2 GODS?!

he's got point, the crazy bastard, lol.

Does Victarion have blue eyes?

Remember Dany's vision in the House of the Undying about a man with grey skin and blue eyes on a ship?

It seems like Victarion and maybe Marwyn and crew are the only ones on ships heading towards Dany right now. (For the first 3/4 of ADWD, I thought this vision represented Prince Aegon, but now he's in Westeros.)

I really, really HOPE it's not supposed to be Victarion. I want him to live and reach Dany now! :cheers:

Yeah, this. A lot of the other Ironmen come across as wannabees, or scumbags using the Old Way as an excuse to be assholes. Victarion really does believe in the culture and its supposed core values and the sort of behaviour expected of Ironborn. He just gets on with it. He doesn't really think about it and isn't all wrapped up in emo self-doubt, nor is he scheming and conniving (well, except from hating Euron), nor is he a psychopath who takes twisted pleasure in what he does.

I am ironman, therefore in this situation I should do x. No ifs, ands or buts, no agendas or convoluted scheming. He's uncomplicated, straightforward, does what he says he'll do, just gets on with the task at hand.

Sure, the task at hand might be killing, stealing, raping, murdering and human sacrifices but this is ASOIAF after all. Victarion is just so refreshingly blunt. He's one of the more honest characters.

So he's not Joffrey 2.0, he's Gregor 2.0?

Archived