[ADwD Spoilers] Daenerys and fertility

In the final Daenerys chapter, is it possible that she was in the early stages of pregnancy, and that she miscarried as a result of overdosing on whatever those green berries she ate were?

Dany has long taken it as an article of faith that she is barren, based on Mirri Maz Dur's inclusion of Dany bearing children in the list of impossible conditions that will be fulfilled before Khal Drogo comes back to himself (i.e., it'll never happen), but hey, why exactly should Mirri's pronouncement be taken as gospel? Particularly when Mirri appears to have plenty of motivation to be speaking out of simple malice, and no particular incentive to tell the truth.

Dany hasn't had the opportunity to test the proposition until recently (i.e. no sex until she starts the affair with Daario). In her final chapter, she eats the berries, then starts cramping, puking her guts out, etc. She wakes up to blood on her thighs, realizes its her monthly flow, thinks that she can't recall when was her last flow but that it seems to be at least 2-3 months before. Then she notes that this flow seems unusually heavy. Then she doesn't really go anywhere further with it, and the Khal's outrider shows up.

To me, that seems like it could describe an early stage pregnancy that has just miscarried. Thoughts?

A list of "impossible" things that include the (Quentyn Martell) sun rising in the (Dorne) west and setting in the (Mereen) east, and the (Dothraki) seas drying up.

So yeah, none of the listed things were ever impossible and Dany was never actually barren.

Edit: And yes, it was clearly a miscarriage.

I actually thought it was just a normal period but the miscarriage does seem possible when others talked about it. But just because she can conceive doesn't mean that the baby will be healthy or that it would survive very long. Eating questionable poison berries doesn't improve her chances either.

Yes, many of us think that was a misscarriage caused by the berries (or less likely but also possible: some stage of the plague she survives) and that her reproductive health is just fine.

I was sure that this had occurred to many readers; if it's relatively obvious to me, it must be obvious to a lot of others, too. I just couldn't get the search to work and haven't been able to obsessively follow all the discussion threads!

Anyhoo. An interesting question: will Dany realize she's potentially a fertile Myrtle, and be a little more discriminating or careful in her extracurricular activities, since as queen, conception and bearing of children are very much a political act?

What was the full requirements needed to be met for Dany to conceive again? Because she wont last long as queen of westeros without heirs.

There weren't requirements to Dany conceiving again. Dang giving birth was one of the requirements to Drogo returning.

That said, the requirements were:

Sun rises in the west, sets in the east [check]

Seas dry up [check]

Mountains blow in the wind [some debate about whether this has happened, I don't think so, myself]

Dany conceiving and giving birth to a living child [miscarried, so not yet]

A list of "impossible" things that include the (Quentyn Martell) sun rising in the (Dorne) west and setting in the (Mereen) east, and the (Dothraki) seas drying up.

That's highly interpretive. I'd read the passage as “it's never going to happen”, but even if it's a prophecy, you're still interpreting events to suit it. It may or may not be correct.

That's highly interpretive. I'd read the passage as “it's never going to happen”, but even if it's a prophecy, you're still interpreting events to suit it. It may or may not be correct.

I read it that way at the time. I'm pretty sure most people including Dany read it that way at the time. Then the stuff she listed started happening.

I read it that way at the time. I'm pretty sure most people including Dany read it that way at the time. Then the stuff she listed started happening.

Stuff on the list arguably started happening. :)

It was not a prophecy necessarily, it was probably meant as a curse. And curses might fail.

Actually that would be funny.

MMD: I curse you never to have Drogo back, anymore than the sun will reverse direction, mountains will fly, the seas will go dry or you'll have children.

Fate: Fuck, this girl kind of needs to have kids. *cracks knuckles* Best get to work.

And just to be sure: we all agree that the child would have been Daario's? Or are the sexual escapades I have missed?

I think so, but this runs into Meereenese timeline fuzziness. It is possible she was married to Hizdahr for a couple of months.

hold up so when Mirris prophecy comes true Drogo will come back to her?obviously hes dead so that wont be happening but what about that Khalasar she met in that last chapter led by Khal Pono was it?Definately not Drogo but maybe another Dothraki like Pono could be another potential marriage alliance with the prophecy stating symbolicly Drogo but meaning a Dothraki?Im assuming Danys gunna feed Hizdahr to Drogon

hold up so when Mirris prophecy comes true Drogo will come back to her?obviously hes dead so that wont be happening but what about that Khalasar she met in that last chapter led by Khal Pono was it?Definately not Drogo but maybe another Dothraki like Pono could be another potential marriage alliance with the prophecy stating symbolicly Drogo but meaning a Dothraki?Im assuming Danys gunna feed Hizdahr to Drogon

It wasnt Pono, it was Jhaego I think.

Edit: "That was how Khal Jhaqo found her, when half a hundred mounted warriors emerged from the drifting smoke"

There weren't requirements to Dany conceiving again. Dang giving birth was one of the requirements to Drogo returning.

That said, the requirements were:

Sun rises in the west, sets in the east [check]

Seas dry up [check]

Mountains blow in the wind [some debate about whether this has happened, I don't think so, myself]

Dany conceiving and giving birth to a living child [miscarried, so not yet]

Mountains blow in the wind....hrm. Robert the Strong - some say he's the mountain that rides? Gregor Clegane was known as the Mountain. Valyria's Doom sounds like nuclear disaster with radiation - maybe it starts 'blowing' towards somewhere else? Oooh How about Mother Mountain? The Dothraki deity?

As for dany ever giving birth I just don't know. lol. She needs to stop sleeping around with bloody sellswords first.

Archived