[ADwD Spoilers] Daenerys and fertility

It wasnt Pono, it was Jhaego I think.

I'm pretty sure that's who it was, yeah.

I'm almost wondering if MMD was actually telling Dany how long it would take for Drogo to recover, but she misinterpreted (probably by intention on MMD's part) and killed him prematurely. While I'd enjoy that twist, considering that pretty much all of the evidence that could point Dany to this conclusion (except the outside possibility of her getting pregnant, but I doubt she'd interpret a pregnancy that way) died with MMD and Drogo, I doubt this will actually turn out to be the case.

Mountains blow in the wind....hrm. Robert the Strong - some say he's the mountain that rides? Gregor Clegane was known as the Mountain. Valyria's Doom sounds like nuclear disaster with radiation - maybe it starts 'blowing' towards somewhere else? Oooh How about Mother Mountain? The Dothraki deity?

As for dany ever giving birth I just don't know. lol. She needs to stop sleeping around with bloody sellswords first.

The common thought is that when the dragons destroyed the tops of the pyramids to make nests that the dust/smoke/ask was akin to mountains blowing in the wind.

A list of "impossible" things that include the (Quentyn Martell) sun rising in the (Dorne) west and setting in the (Mereen) east, and the (Dothraki) seas drying up.

So yeah, none of the listed things were ever impossible and Dany was never actually barren.

Edit: And yes, it was clearly a miscarriage.

Can anyone provide the MMD quote? I like this alternate interpretation of the conditions. I remember the mountains blowing like dust in the wind also being included. Not sure how to reinterpret that.

I've never understood why Mirri's "prophecy" was taken as gospel. She was a vindictive, hateful creature when she spoke those words. She spoke them more to hurt than anything else, so I take them with a grain of salt.

I think Dany will eventually get pregnant... I just hope it's not til her final chapter of the series.

There weren't requirements to Dany conceiving again. Dang giving birth was one of the requirements to Drogo returning.

That said, the requirements were:

Sun rises in the west, sets in the east [check]

Seas dry up [check]

Mountains blow in the wind [some debate about whether this has happened, I don't think so, myself]

Dany conceiving and giving birth to a living child [miscarried, so not yet]

When did the Dothraki seas dry up?

The common thought is that when the dragons destroyed the tops of the pyramids to make nests that the dust/smoke/ask was akin to mountains blowing in the wind.

I'm holding out for something to do with Gregor, personally. I know a lot of people think that the Quentyn/Dothraki sea stuff is a stretch, but the symbology is tight enough that I think it was intentional on Martin's part even if it turns out to be a red herring. The pyramid top being turned to ash just seems too far from the wording of the prophecy for me. You could make a case that they're blowing in the wind, but unless someone can point me to Martin explicitly describing them as mountains, I just don't think that works as well.

I'm pretty sure that's who it was, yeah.

I'm almost wondering if MMD was actually telling Dany how long it would take for Drogo to recover, but she misinterpreted (probably by intention on MMD's part) and killed him prematurely. While I'd enjoy that twist, considering that pretty much all of the evidence that could point Dany to this conclusion (except the outside possibility of her getting pregnant, but I doubt she'd interpret a pregnancy that way) died with MMD and Drogo, I doubt this will actually turn out to be the case.

Kahl Jahgo

When did the Dothraki seas dry up?

"Though she walked through the green kingdom, it was not the deep rich green of summer. Even here autumn had made its presence felt, and winter would not be far behind. The grass was paler than she remembered, a wan sickly green on the verge of going yellow. After that would come brown. The grass was dying."

I can't give a page number because I'm reading on Kindle, but it's in the last Dany chapter.

Mountains blow in the wind....hrm. Robert the Strong - some say he's the mountain that rides? Gregor Clegane was known as the Mountain. Valyria's Doom sounds like nuclear disaster with radiation - maybe it starts 'blowing' towards somewhere else? Oooh How about Mother Mountain? The Dothraki deity?

As for dany ever giving birth I just don't know. lol. She needs to stop sleeping around with bloody sellswords first.

Valyria's doom, was a volcanic explosion coupled with the earthquake that happens during volcanic explosions, followed by tsunami, although it would make no sense that the Tsunami would hit Valaryia, but rather radiate from Valyria, was in a bay, and the waves could bounce off one end of the bay and reverberate back, it's happened many times in Earths history, whole civilizations being destryoed by them.

Most notably in Earth's history

Minoan society in the Medditeranean being destroyed by volcano/earth quake, and it's subsequent tsunami, some historians argue this was the fabled Atlantis.

Mt. Vesuvius is one of the most famous of these events, but not even remotely close to the most powerful.

Krakatoa was the most recent one of these such events, and of course the 2005 Tsunami in the Indian Ocean, imagine that killed 250,000 people. And that didn't include a volcano.

Give an idea how cataclysmic such an event can be, almost half of the island simply blew off in the blast, and it's the single loudest event in modern history, the explosion was 13,000 times more powerful than the bomb dropped on Hiroshima, and Krakatoa isn't even close to the most powerful evidenced in geological history. The Minoan explosion of Thera Volcano is believed to be about 4x's as powerful as Krakatoa.

Short of it, though, Valyria's Doom, was basically a Volcanic Explosion, and yes you are right, they are quite a bit more powerful than Nuclear explosions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krakatoa

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minoan_eruption

If she miscarried, though, I'm not sure it makes much difference who the father was, really.

Well, thematically it does. She literally aborts a role of motherhood, a theme otherwise important to her.

It would be thematically or allegorically more fitting if she aborted the fruit of her alliance with Hizdahr than with Daario. The former would say “I’m done with ruling Mereen”, the latter “I’m done with fornicating with romance novel cover boys.”

None. Just the word of a partially insane witch hellbent on revenge.

Hell, technically not even. She just listed Dany having another child in a list of other things Dany thought were impossible, but may very well be currently happening. As far as I can remember, MMD never actually said she was infertile.

If she had said "when pigs fly" would we have assumed the prophecy was completed every time Pretty Pig jumped off the ground?

If she said "when pigs fly and Valyria freezes over" and someone then launched Pretty Pig out of a trebuchet and Others came storming into Valyria, I'd start to wonder. Especially when the first thing I noticed was the miscarriage that implies Dany may not be quite as barren as she thought.

But just because she can conceive doesn't mean that the baby will be healthy or that it would survive very long. Eating questionable poison berries doesn't improve her chances either.

Right. The prophecy was about her bearing a "living child." She can have 100 miscarriages, and it doesn't mean she can have a baby. Repeated miscarriage is one (distressing) form of real-world infertility.

Archived