[ADwD, MK SPOILERS] Where are the dragon Eggs?

Early Earl

The 3 eggs Dany has are the same 3 from Dunk and Egg stories.

Danny's eggs

1). Deep green, with burnished bronze fleck that came and went depending how you turn it.

2). Pale cream streaked with gold.

3). Black, as black as a MIDNIGHT sea, yet alive with scarlet ripples an swirls.

Aerion Targaryens egg is gold and silver with veins of fire

Aegon Targaryens egg is white and green, all swirly

Lord Butterwalls egg is said to have fine red scales covering its surface, shining bright as jewels by the of lamps and candles... The scales were smooth and deep, rich red seemed to shimmer as its turned. BLOOD and FIRE with gold flecks and whirls of MIDNIGHT BLACK

I don't see how Dany's three eggs can possibly be the same eggs mentioned in Dunk and Egg. According to TMK, Lord Butterwell's egg was a "deep, rich red . . . but there were gold flecks in it as well, and whorls of midnight black." Drogon's egg, in contrast, was "black, as black as a midnight sea, yet alive with scarlet ripples and swirls." Butterwell's egg was red with black whorls (with flecks of gold), Drogon's egg had no gold flecks and was black with red swirls (the opposite of Butterwell's egg).

Aerion's egg was "gold and silver, with veins of fire running through it." Viserion's egg was "pale cream streaked with gold." Aegon's egg was "white and green, all swirly." Rhaegal's egg was "a deep green, with burnished bronze flecks that came and went depending on how Dany turned it." The descriptions of Aegon's egg and Aerion's egg simply don't match the descriptions of any of the eggs Dany was given.

I also don't see how we can connect the eggs via some color substitutions caused by Summerhall. Aerion's egg and Butterwell's egg each contained three colors, while Dany's eggs only ever had two colors, so even if whatever happened at Summerhall could have caused one color to switch with another, we're still left with an extra color on two of the earlier eggs. Moreover, the pattern of the colors also doesn't fully match---Rhaegal's egg had "flecks" of bronze, it wasn't "bronze and green, all swirly"; for example.

GRRM couldn't flat out say the 3 eggs are the same so he made it seem like maybe some detail was lost over the years, or maybe some color was lost or gained. Some people say that when you put eggs in fire they change color. But just read the detail

Danny's egg

Deep Green, BURNISHED Bronze flecks

Aegon's egg

"Mine is White and Green, all Swirly. (before it could have beened burned)

Danny's egg

Black, Black as MIDNIGHT SEA, alive with SCARLET swirls.

Lord Butterwells egg

Red Scales shining bright as jewels (could also mean alive with SCARLET) deep rich red. Gold flecks aswell, whorled of MIDNIGHT BLACK (BLACK as MIDNIGHT SEA)

I know not all the colors match perfect but come on its right there in front of us.

But if he had genuine Targaryen eggs, don't you think he would have said so to make them an even better gift? Hell, he should have said they were family property even if they DID come from Asshai.

He then would have had to explain how they came into his possession, which could get messy. Dany and Viserys have no knowledge that Varys and Illyrio are working together and as far as Dany knows, there is no reason for Illyrio to have her family's eggs. These kids have been basically beggars for most of their lives — how kindly do you think they'd take the news that Illyrio has their family's property and has had it for likely some time, never making any previous attempt to give it back to them or even tell them he has it? This isn't like some locket or a wedding ring. Any one of those eggs could have lifted the kids out of poverty and helped them get on the road back to Westeros. And they'd be expected to believe that Illyrio just happened to have them on hand, waiting to give to Dany when she got married?

It is indeed strange that we have two couples of three eggs that are similar enough in colour scheme to be at least parallels, but that are not the same.

It seems to me that the two pairs of described eggs could be the same, but they lost brilliance. The cause of the lost brilliance could be time or whatever happened in Summerhall, or anything. Note that could be is different from are.

But I'm curious: are these six (or three) the only dragon eggs ever described in the main books or in the D&E stories?

No other egg has ever been described?
How many are even named?
Is there any indication of the dragon who deposed the eggs? If I remember correctly, the Aegon's egg is part of the last deposition of the last, not healthy, dragon, who put an egg for each of Aegon's brothers, in a mirror of what happened to Eddard's childrens. Is there any indication that the egg shares something with the deposer characteristics? Were Balerion's eggs black (and scarlet)? Apart from colour, is there any difference in dimensions and shape of the eggs or their scales? What was of the eggs themselves after the Daenerys dragons hatched? Did they burn, get lost, not be seen by anybody?

Maybe more interesting still: when do the dragons reach sexual maturity?
The question is: will Drogon and his/her/its brothers/sisters depose eggs in this generation? They grew well in just a couple of years of time. Every how much time do the dragons reproduce themselves? And would their eggs hatch?

Would it be necessary to have a dead Maegi, lover, and king, and son and desperate Targaryen princess to hatch them? Or being the dragons alive will let them reproduce just with sex? Are they hermaphrodite or do they have both sexes in them to reproduce without intercourse with a sexual partner? Hermaphrodite but sexually reproducing dragons would have a shallow genetic base to give us a future population of dragons, asexual reproduction would mean that the numbers with which we start "dragonbreeding" matters less.

Are there any dragonbreeding online classes? I'd pay for one.... ;)

EDIT: my english is getting worse.

EDIT 2014: every time look at an old text of mines, i find some typo.

I have one problem with this theory about it beeing the same eggs.

We all know that Dany's dragons have the same color pattern as their respective eggs. Now, if these were the eggs from the D&E-story with faded colors, then I find it more logical that the dragons hatched from these eggs would have the same color patterns as the original eggs described in the D&E-story. Why would the dorment dragon-fetus inside the protective eggshell change color just because the color of the eggs have faded on the outside? I know it's fantasy and it's dragon's eggs, but still some kind of logic usually applies.

I have one problem with this theory about it beeing the same eggs.

We all know that Dany's dragons have the same color pattern as their respective eggs. Now, if these were the eggs from the D&E-story with faded colors, then I find it more logical that the dragons hatched from these eggs would have the same color patterns as the original eggs described in the D&E-story. Why would the dorment dragon-fetus inside the protective eggshell change color just because the color of the eggs have faded on the outside? I know it's fantasy and it's dragon's eggs, but still some kind of logic usually applies.

It's possible that the dragons inside would adapt their colors to changes in the egg's color, especially if quite a long time passed between the change and their hatching. I don't find that anymore of a stretch than the fact that the dragons are the colors of the egg to begin with.

Aegon Targaryen ( Egg ) later King Aegon V said he and all his brothers have dragon eggs. That would make at least 4 eggs plus Lord Butterwells which was given to him when he was Hand of the King, so 5 eggs. Aegon also says that their are eggs on Dragonstone from before the Dance. He does not say how many.

Aegon Targaryen V had 3 brothers

1) Daeron Targaryen

2) Aerion Targaryen

3) Maester Aemon

Where are Daeron and Maester Aemons egg?? And yes Maester Aemon is the same guy as the Nights Watch Maester Aemon.

Hes been at the wall this whole time so where did he hide his egg.

Well the image of the ice dragon has come up a lot throughout the series, I suppose it is possible it is somewhere at or near the wall, i.e. he brought it with him when he joined the watch. Which might also give Jon access to a dragon at the wall (where I sort of feel one is needed sooner rather than later) without Dany needing to get her act together, get across an ocean, and meet up with him assuming for a moment he is a dragon rider.

Apple Martini et al make a decent case for Dany's eggs being the same as those mentioned at Summerhall, though I think there is still room given the almost inverted color descriptions. I vaguely recall someone (perhaps Illyrio) mentioning that they get darker with time which might also account for the color change (just have a hard time buying the idea that they eggs were burnt per se though I would buy the heat from the fire changing their colors), but it still does leave several unaccounted for even if we assume that those are the same. The eggs remaining to the two brothers and an unknown number at Dragonstone. It would certainly be a twist for new dragons to start showing up this many books in when everyone been convinced that Dany's got the only ones. Plus it might address a looming problem I see for the future.

I don't think the dragons will die out at the end, I think we are seeing the rebirth of magic in this world and it is going to stay for a while. That said all the dragons we know about right now are boys. Granted they might function like some amphibians so one of the three might start going through some changes BUT baring that, if the dragons are to continue they need a girl so there would have to be at least one more dragon out there somewhere.

GRRM couldn't flat out say the 3 eggs are the same so he made it seem like maybe some detail was lost over the years, or maybe some color was lost or gained. Some people say that when you put eggs in fire they change color. But just read the detail

Danny's egg

Deep Green, BURNISHED Bronze flecks

Aegon's egg

"Mine is White and Green, all Swirly. (before it could have beened burned)

Burnished /= burned. Burnishing is polishing by rubbing. So whether the egg was burned or not, it's not part of the burnishing process.

This may mean nothing, and I can't reference it, but I remember reading somewhere about the three eggs that belonged to Baelor the Blessed's three sisters, Daena, Elaena and Rhaena, the ones who were confined to the Maidenvault. Apparently the eggs owned by these three sisters match the descriptions of Dany's three eggs. As I said, I can't remember where I read this, if it is true, or even if is relevant at all but I just thought I would put it out there...

I checked the SSM http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/1605/ and I only seen a description on Elaena's egg and a picture here http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Elaena_Targaryen but not on the other sisters. Elaena's egg description seems to fit Viserion, maybe the other sisters and the other eggs as well, I can't find their eggs though. Good catch. We know Daena wore black and wore a three headed dragon penant that she never took off. It's interesting in that Daena is the mother of Daemon Blackfyre and I have a therory that Elaena may be the mother of Daemon's wife, I don't know where Rhaena fits in that though. http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/60449-blackfyre-question/

But if he had genuine Targaryen eggs, don't you think he would have said so to make them an even better gift? Hell, he should have said they were family property even if they DID come from Asshai.

Why in the world do they have to be 'Targaryen' eggs?

They could be left over Valyrian eggs.

Even those could come in colors that matched the ones Dany got.

(Even to the match in colors mentioned before.)

Yeah something fishy about Illyrio just happening to have them as gifts for Dany.

I totaly spaced why I added the whole Blackfyre thing in my last post. The OP asked where are specific person's eggs. Like Bloodraven, and I was planning on asking; do we know if the Blackfyre's or Great Bastards in general recieved eggs? So I wanted to add that about the "maiden's vault sisters" because it's possible the entire Blackfyre line started with two (atleast one) of them.

Also good question Know Face Man; where is Maester Aemon's egg? Did he take it to the wall, for Jon to find, or was it another casuality of Summerhal?

Also did the eggs get destroyed at Summerhall and how could they? If it was some type of conspiracy, could they be at the Citadel?

I think people are reaching a little too far with matching the Dragon eggs from the two stories. You have to change some colors, but not all of them, and rearrange the pattern to get them to match, which in my opinion says there is no match at all.

At any rate. It'll be interesting to see where and how Illyrio actually got his Dragon eggs. They are supposed to be so rare and valuable that just those 3 could of bought an army with an honest shot at conquering Westeros, especially when you combine it with any of the Pro-Targeryan powers who are waiting for a chance to restore the old dynasty.

Illyrio is a very wealthy man, but someone who could afford to give away 3 dragon eggs ought to be the ruler of half the free cities.

My guess is Illyrio is in league with the powers that be in Asshai. If they have access to Dragon eggs, and someone sufficiently important enough glimpsed Dany hatching the dragons in the flames, they could of provided the eggs as a means of fulfilling to prophecy.

I did not know Elaena Targaryen had a egg to.

Her egg is said to look PLATINUM WHITE with a GOLD STREAK

One of Danny's eggs looks PALE CREAM STREAKED with GOLD

I now believe that Danny has Lord Butterwells egg and Elaena Targaryens egg

Yes my dragon egg is very beautiful isn't it, and the way it matches my hair, just amazing, it's like it was meant to be. I don't know why it hatched for Dany and not for me, I am the smart one.

Archived