[ADwD, MK SPOILERS] Where are the dragon Eggs?

Early Earl

If many of them were kept at Summerhall, I guess those would be destroyed now. Maybe there might be a few around - sold onto the blackmarket, held secretly by Targ loyalists, stashed at Dragonstone - but I bet that most of them were destroyed at Summerhall.

Dany's eggs came alive in khal drogo's pyre. If summerhall burnt down, the eggs wouldn't have been destroyed. Might be they lie somewhere in Summerhall still!

There is also the fact that the Red Keep has so many underground levels that they maybe be stashed somewhere underneath King's Landing. Remember how they found those wildfire jars in aCoK? Who's to say there aren't more such vaults with dragon eggs stashes somewhere

Sorry tze but your wrong. The Doom of Valyria happened 500 years ago. Its said the only reason that the Targaryens lived was because they were on Dragonstone Island the far most outpost of Valyria. Its said they had the last 3 Dragons in the world (Aegon V and his 2 sisters each had one).

No, I'm not wrong. (The Doom actually happened four hundred years ago, but that's beside the point.) The Targaryens had the last few dragons in the world, and with the exception of Aegon the Conqueror interfering briefly in one Essosi war three hundred years ago, the Targaryens kept those dragons in Westeros. Not Essos. People in Essos weren't being assaulted by Targaryen dragonriders. People in Essos were not interacting with those dragons. With one exception, an exception that happened about three hundred years ago, the Targs didn't use those dragons to make war in Essos. The only way to see a dragon would have been to go to Westeros, and there's no indication at all that people in Essos were ever flocking to Westeros to see the Targ dragons. There is no reason for the Essosi to see a boy with a dragon egg and associate him with the Targaryen family.

You keep saying in Essos people will think this and people will think that, but you have no idea what your talking about.

Actually, I have a pretty good idea what I'm talking about.

The fact is GRRM doesn't really tell us much on how the people of Essos think.

So you say the Essosi will of course associate dragons with the Targaryens, by which you claim to know what people in Essos are thinking, but I'm wrong because GRRM doesn't really tell us much on how people in Essos think?

And yes, we do get some pretty firm ideas on how people in Essos view Westeros. Xaro Xhoan Daxos pops to mind, for example.

Yes I'm sure Essos people think of Valyria and think of Dragons, But I'm even more sure that since the Targaryen are the last House/Family of Valyria that almost everyone thinks of Dragons and Targaryens together.

Except they haven't had dragons for a century and a half, and for the century and a half that they did have dragons, with only a single exception, they kept those dragons out of Essos. The Valyrian Empire lasted for thousands and thousands of years. There is untold amounts of Essosi artwork depicting Valyria/dragons, Essosi history about Valyria/dragons, and Essosi ruins associated with Valyria/dragons. The things the Targs did in Westeros? Well, they're important to the Westerosi, but not to anyone in Essos. You don't find any artwork depicting the Targs in Essos. You don't hear stories about the Targs in Essos. You don't hear people ruminating about the Targs' history in Essos. The Targs are not the last House/Family of Valyria. Essos is full to bursting with Valyria's descendants. The city of Volantis, in Essos, considers itself to be Valyria's heir. The Targs only survived the Doom because they were living at the crap end of the Freehold, and they headed off to another continent with their dragons, got those dragons killed off a century and a half ago, and ended up beggars in the Free Cities. No, the Targs are not specifically associated with dragons in Essos. In Westeros, yes. In Essos, no.

In the Epilogue of a DWD Sere Kevan Lannister is talking to Mace Tyrell. Kevan asked him if The Knight of Flowers found anything on DRAGONSTONE Mace responds with " No wealth was found on Dragonstone, I promise you. My sons men have searched every inch of that damp and dreary island and turned up not so much as a single gemstone or speck of gold. NOR ANY SIGN OF THIS FABLED HOARD OF DRAGON EGGS"

And assuming that Mace Tyrell was telling the truth here, or even that he's competent enough that his inability to find dragon eggs means dragon eggs weren't there to be found, doesn't sound like a safe bet to me. Even Kevan Lannister thinks it's extremely unlikely that Loras Tyrell actually searched Dragonstone as thoroughly as Mace claims.

Sorry again tze but your wrong. Its ok to be wrong, you would have to be a fool to think that the whole world didn't know that the TARGARYENS were the last with DRAGONS.

Your right about the Doom being 400 years tho. What i was trying to say is the TARGARYENS were first to Dragonstone 500 years ago so they were there before the Doom. This is why they lived.

One last thing (fool) if you know soo much tell me anyone else in the Books who have Dragon eggs

LORD BUTTERWELL from DUNK and EGG is the only non TARGARYEN we see with an egg. And his egg was given to him by a TARGARYEN

WOW I HATE WHEN PEOPLE THINK THEY KNOW SO MUCH BUT REALLY ARE JUST TO BLIND TO SEE.

One last thing (fool)

I've actually addressed all of the points you made in this post in my previous post. You're just repeating yourself and calling me names. And on that note, repeating yourself is one thing, but stop with the name-calling.

So does it really matter where Dany's eggs came from, besides being a cool connection to something? Who knows if we will ever know, though I do think it's possible. The eggs have already hatched into dragons and that is what's important. Where are all of the dragon eggs, who has the eggs, and can any of the eggs possibly be hatched sucsessfully? This is what matters and this is what may be fun to speculate on.

Can YG have an egg? What about eggs on the Wall or what will the Citadel do? Can it have any impact on the current story or is it to late to hatch a dragon? Will Westeros have dragons as a part of their lives from now on, how will it effect eveyone, and who will try to stop it? My biggest question is, will dragons be a part of the battle againt the White Walkers, or will the WW save Westeros from dragons? Where are all of the Targaryen's dragon eggs and how can it effect the story?

So does it really matter where Dany's eggs came from, besides being a cool connection to something? Who knows if we will ever know, though I do think it's possible. The eggs have already hatched into dragons and that is what's important. Where are all of the dragon eggs, who has the eggs, and can any of the eggs possibly be hatched sucsessfully? This is what matters and this is what may be fun to speculate on.

Can YG have an egg? What about eggs on the Wall or what will the Citadel do? Can it have any impact on the current story or is it to late to hatch a dragon? Will Westeros have dragons as a part of their lives from now on, how will it effect eveyone, and who will try to stop it? My biggest question is, will dragons be a part of the battle againt the White Walkers, or will the WW save Westeros from dragons? Where are all of the Targaryen's dragon eggs and how can it effect the story?

Those are the questions that would arise if we were sure that the three that dany has are not the last ones in the world... i think we are speculating on that first...

Those are the questions that would arise if we were sure that the three that dany has are not the last ones in the world... i think we are speculating on that first...

Well I for one do believe there are more eggs out there, whether from Essos or the Targaryen dynasty. I'm actually assuming their may be a lot of eggs which dosen't matter unless the magic behind hatching them into dragons has been rediscovered. So I guess that I may be jumping ahead, but I do not believe that Dany's eggs were the last eggs. I firmly believe there are many more eggs and I only want to now where they are and what might happen.

I am tired and I am due for a re-read, but for all of the talk from Mel and waking dragons from stone souldn't she be worried about a dragon egg, unless they already found them on Dragonstone. So let me know if I forgot something here, but wouldn't you need an egg to get a dragon? Where does she think the dragon will come from that she needs king's blood?

Dany's eggs came alive in khal drogo's pyre. If summerhall burnt down, the eggs wouldn't have been destroyed. Might be they lie somewhere in Summerhall still!

The hatching on the funeral pyre involved a freak bit of magic that would be at best extremely difficult and at worst impossible to replicate. It's not like just setting the things on fire would hatch them. If it were that easy they wouldn't have had such a hard time doing it.

guys! stop fighting! And what about potential eggs at summerhall?! I mean, Rhaegar was happiest/saddest when at Summerhall and was 'obsessed' with it. Doesn't that tell us something?

You should read my Summerhall/dragons/Rhaegar idea in the General Forum.

I am tired and I am due for a re-read, but for all of the talk from Mel and waking dragons from stone souldn't she be worried about a dragon egg, unless they already found them on Dragonstone. So let me know if I forgot something here, but wouldn't you need an egg to get a dragon? Where does she think the dragon will come from that she needs king's blood?

From what I understand, there is a rumor about Dragonstone actually being made of dragons that turned into stone, isn't that right? So the king's blood and her magic would only wake the dragon (no pun intended). Besides, I really don't think it will matter much if they find dragon eggs at this point in the story. Look how long it took for Daenerys's dragons to grow enough to be used as weapons... New dragons would only be useful if they had hatched from an egg a long time ago and were in dormant state by some magic.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been over at the wiki, counting Targs, and hopefully, dragon eggs.

Egg says his brothers all have eggs as well as himself, and that he got the last one out of a clutch of 5.

However at this point in the story Egg is 16th in the line of succesion (assuming the 2 sets of twins from Rhaegel are boys, and assuming they are born at this point. Also assuming Valaar has had his children already) He doesn't mention if the girls get eggs at all.

Assuming it's only males that get eggs, and assuming the 2 sets of twins are all boys there should be 10 dragon eggs in his generation alone, if you count the girls there should be 12 (although they are younger than Egg, so maybe no eggs to give?)

There should be another 4 (5 if including females) from his father and uncles/aunt.

His grandfather is the only trueborn male from his generation, so there is another egg. And another if we count his sister.

Plus 3 half brothers, and one sister. Do we know if these 4 get given eggs at all?

We know Bloodraven appears to take Lord Butterwells egg, but did he get one of his own as well?

Do his cousin Valaar's 2 boys get eggs? another possible 2 to add on.

I'm counting a gauranteed 15 dragon eggs here, and a possible 26. (I can't recall who gave the egg to Butterwell, so if it is already counted, minus one.)

And this is only in the direct line here, if you accept that a 4th son of a 4th son is getting an egg, than surely other lesser princes/princesses higher up in the line had eggs also?

I can accept that as Targs die the eggs get passed down, but I cannot see every single one of them returning. We know that some of this family are off their rocker, who knows what they would have done with an egg?

As to where they are?

Who knows?!

Lets assume both Aemon and Bloodraven took their eggs to the wall with them. 2 eggs somewhere at the wall, with a possibility for a 3rd one. (assuming BR already had an egg before taking Butterwells) Although BR may well have taken his egg/s out to his weirwood cave with him.

Egg's 2 oldest brother Daerion and Aerion both had a child each. Aerion's was a boy, possibly passed down. Daerion's a "dim-witted girl" so possibly not passed down.

That is all we (well, I) know from the current books, no clue as to where the Targ eggs went, Illyrio claims Dany's eggs are from Asshai.

Thats all I have.

I was wondering that myself. I wonder if she's got one hidden in a bag somewhere.

@Gravey

I´m sorry, but I count only 5 eggs. The clutch of the last dragon. Egg mentions only 4, the ones he and his brother have. 3 of them are the same as the ones in the Maidenvault.

So one is allready unaccounted for. Did Bloodraven take it? I hope so.

3 of the 4 are Dany´s. The last is hopefully Maester Aemons and hopefully in the North.

@ Lykos

I know what Egg says there, but my reasoning is:

Why would Egg get an egg? (this is getting really silly looking to keep typing out!) He is the 4th son, of a 4th son. Still a prince but way, way down the line.

Why would Daerion, Aerion, Aemon and Egg get dragon eggs, but not his father, uncles, aunt or cousins? Especially when you consider that every one of them barring the aunt are ahead of him in the line of succesion?

What reasoning would there to be to give those 4 boys dragon eggs, but not Valarr and Matarys (2nd and 3rd heirs), or Valarr's 2 sons(4th and 5th)?

I know it's not explicitly stated that there are definetly more eggs, but it seems a little strange. Even more so when you consider what an egg would mean to a Targaryen. I just can't see any logical reason for Egg and his brothers to get eggs, unless they were there to be given, and if those 5 eggs he mentions are all there is, then they should have gone to Baelor, Valarr, Matarys and Valarr's 2 sons.

Unless it is something Martin just overlooked in order for Egg to have his dragon egg, then it makes sense to me, that there should be many more eggs around in the time of the Dunk and Egg novels.

I'm still on the fence as to whether or not those eggs of Danys were Targ eggs or not, the descriptions dont quite match, and I had the thought that wouldn't Dany's dragons be kind of sickly looking? Aren't we told somewhere that the last dragons were sick and small? wouldn't this condition have transferred to the eggs?

Danys 3 are all perfectly healthy, and born that way. It could have been the magic involved in hatching them I guess? I don't know, convince me!

@Gravey

That´s a good question. Maybe the eggs where kept in one generation untill one of them becomes the new king.

(They are spread because you´ll never know what happens.)

I only wanted to know if you had any proof of more than 5 eggs.

And the other thing is, why didn´t the sisters get any egg since Egg´s father Maekar I was son of a Martell.

@Lykos

That´s a good question. Maybe the eggs where kept in one generation untill one of them becomes the new king.

(They are spread because you´ll never know what happens.)

Thats reasonable, and even possible, however that would assume that only one other person has an egg outside of Egg and his 3 brothers.

I'm thinking it would cause an awful lot of jealousy and fighting between family members. Probably not something you want happening in a family full of crazies right?

Logically you would think if they had only 5 eggs, they would go to the 5 direct heirs, or be put away/on display somewhere.

I only wanted to know if you had any proof of more than 5 eggs.

Nope, no proof. Just the fact that it doesn't make any sense for number 16 (and 13, 14 and 15!) in the line of succesion to have been gven an egg at birth, but not anyone above them.

There might be a reason for it, Martin might have just made it happen without thinking of that (though I doubt it, it doesn't seem like he would do that) and until we are told, one way or the other I'm assuming there are more eggs.

And the other thing is, why didn´t the sisters get any egg since Egg´s father Maekar I was son of a Martell.

I was thinking this might have something to do with the dance of the dragons?

But, looking at the wiki it seems as though the 3 girls in the maidenvault were after all that, and they had eggs. So that is wrong.

Are his sisters born at that time?

Egg says he gets the last egg of the last clutch of 5 (never says the only eggs in existence, just that he got the last of those 5) So as I said in my original post, perhaps at that point there really aren't any more eggs to give?

The attitude toward female Targs may have altered in time? Girls might get last pick?

I can't really answer this one, There really isn't any information on it, none I can remember anyways.

I have only read through the series, inc D&E once, so there may well be information I miss or have wrong. Thats why I am using the wiki for information.. :)

Archived