Anyone else's opinion of Jaime change...?

Mattyp

He really is coming into his own. The fact that he did not grieve at all for *Joffery's Wedding spoiler*

Joffery's death

helps the ease the pain of suddenly liking Jaime :lol:

It would be great to see some Lannister/Stark teamwork in the future! But that would probably be a bit too 'Hollywood' for GRRM!

And Jaime saving Brienne wasn't Hollywood? That scene looks like it came straight out of a Disney movie ...

Yes, I've not read as far as you, nut I'm reluctantly starting to have feelings of sympathy towards Jamie. GRRM really shines when it comes to making his characters nuanced and giving them depth, but it sometimes leaves me grasping desperately for a true protagonist. :) They all have sides to like and dislike, which is as it should be, but I'm not very accustomed to it.

That's exactly how I feel. I know that there are no heroes in life whose every act is good and innocent, just as very few villains are only ever capable of evil. This is something that both Sansa and Brienne learns in this book. But while Sansa's false notion is a romantic one about true knights of songs, Brienne's illusion is about how you can only find honor through knightly ideals. But like Sansa needs her songs about true knights to give her life beauty and meaning, I need at least one true protagonist in the stories I'm emotionally invested in. Brienne is actually the one closest to the romantic ideal selfless hero protecting the weak and vulnerable. I think it's because she is the polar opposite of Jaime that sparks fly in their every scene together in this book. It's through her interaction with Jaime that I learned to understand and sympathize with Jaime. This surprised me tremendously, because I started out hating Jaime passionately and thought there couldn't possibly be anything about him that would ever make me feel any different. But then the chemistry between him and Brienne in this book was so amazing I couldn't help but seeing things from his perspective, as well as Brienne's. I think it's because of Brienne's influence on Jaime that he admits to Cersei that he is ashamed about what he did to Bran in Winterfell. I haven't forgiven him for doing what he did, but that scene in White Sword Tower where he expresses his remorse to his sister makes him in my eyes the most nuanced villain so far in the series.

Whilst reading Jaime's chapters my opinion of him has started to change greatly, and I now almost sympathise with him. He is a pawn of Cersei and has no grasp of their 'true' relationship, or his sister's sickening ways. I was genuinely shocked when he lost his hand, and thought it was a great move by GRRM to actually make the reader question their own 'desire' for the Lannister's to suffer. His motives for striking down 'The mad King' seem just, and hell I can't blame him for that.

He was easy to hate as a self assured cocky antagonist, but now he is starting to come out as a more sympathetic character. Saving Brienne definitely helped me feel a lot warmer towards his character. I have read up to the Wilding attack on Castle Black, so have had the full emotional impact of the Red Wedding, yet I still feel that some of the best writing so far has been in GRRM's ability to make me not hate Jaime. That is something I did not think would be possible...I mean he pushed Bran out of a window!?

Anyone else slowly becoming more of a 'Jaime' sympathiser? And please no spoilers after the Castle Black attack.

I'm finding I like Jaime more and more the more I read about him. He's rash, to be sure, and even though I hate what he did to Bran, GRRM makes me understand why he did it. I wouldn't have thought that the character whose death I most wished for at the beginning of the series would be one I would have sympathy for midway through.

I gotta admit I have changed my opinion slightly on Jaime.

When the men were laughing at him after he lost his hand he said something like 'now I know how Tyrion felt when they all laughed at him'. That quote did soften me up a little bit to him as it showed he could empathise, and was a more complex character than just one of the 'baddies'. As before he was just portrayed as a sort of sociopath. And I would of doubted he cared so much about Cersei until his POV's.

In general though- the guy is an arsehole.

Shoving a young boy out the window and crippling him does NOT redeem him. If anything it's karma.

He crippled Bran and Jaime looses his sword hand.

Nice to see there's some degree of 'what goes around comes around' in westeros.

Book/Season 1 I absolutely hated Jaime, but I like him a lot now. I'll wait and see how he reacts to everything that happened at the end of SoS before placing him on my favourite list, but he's definitely up there.

Well, I have not totally changed my opinion about him just yet, but Jaime just got a lot more interesting!:) (I just read the chapter where he saves Brienne from the bear).

I loved that chapter. It was the first chapter that I really felt like he was being genuine and thinking about someone else other than him or Cersei.

I loved that chapter. It was the first chapter that I really felt like he was being genuine and thinking about someone else other than him or Cersei.

Yes...and there are indications that maybe, somewhere under the jibes and quips and nasty things he has to say about people, he may have some empathy. I also enjoyed hearing his reason for killing king Aerys! All this time, we have been made to think it was the throne/power he was after...well, I am looking forward to reading what happens to Jaime when he gets back to Kings Landing and Cersei finds out that he lost a hand.

I didn't have much sympathy for him before he expressed remorse, when Cersei came to him in the White Sword Tower. "I'm not ashamed of loving you, only of the things I've done to hide it. That boy at Winterfell . . ." That scene was extremely powerful to me, because Jaime is such a proud character and it would cost him a great deal to admit to being ashamed and having regrets.

I didn't have much sympathy for him before he expressed remorse, when Cersei came to him in the White Sword Tower. "I'm not ashamed of loving you, only of the things I've done to hide it. That boy at Winterfell . . ." That scene was extremely powerful to me, because Jaime is such a proud character and it would cost him a great deal to admit to being ashamed and having regrets.

That helped me to start seeing Jaime a little more sympathetically. There is no redeeming yourself after you push an innocent little boy to his death. However, Jaime has been growing on me and gaining a little respect in my eyes. It seems like he is finally opening his eyes and seeing things from a different perspective, especially regarding Cersei.

• 8 months later...

I hated Jamie before this book. I thought he was arrogant and self-centered. This book though brought a different side of him out, but to took a while for it to develop, which makes sense. I liked reading his version of his killing King Aerys, it was much more complex than we'd have believed. I did notice though that his chapters didn't necessarily like Cersei any better. She seemed just as manipulative when she was a kid. I did like to see him develop a friendship w/Brienne and really try to redeem himself when he came back to KL. Also in a side note, I did enjoy the history he discussed in his chapters of Tywin, Aerys, etc.

My opinion of him tokk a complete turn. In clash of kings you see his conversation with catelyn and think he is so cold-hearted. But after meeting Brienne andmoreso after getting his hand chopped off, he changes for the better. He is a man who is trying to do the right thing but can never escape his past. That is what is intriguing, and he has become one of the characters i like the most. That is what i like about these books, but i still have not seen a good person take a twist like Jaime, wondering if it will happen. So he has gone from main antagonist to one of the protagonists, that's why i like him. He tries to make amends for what he did to Bran too, and he is starting on new. So i agree with the OP, my opinion of him changed, very much for the better.

Archived