Huge Blast in Oslo

We also have F-16s in Libya, and Ghadaffi has threatened with terrorist attacks IIRC. But Afghanistan is more likely the "reason" for this.

No one I know are hurt, thankfully.

I'm watching the coverage on CNN, it's surreal. I'm used to seeing images like this from other countries, but not from little ol'Norway :(

WTF is going on, first this huge bomb and now someone shooting at young politicians...

We also have F-16s in Libya, and Ghadaffi has threatened with terrorist attacks IIRC. But Afghanistan is more likely the "reason" for this.

Gaddafi has tried to pull this shit in Norway before (targetted US and Israeli embassies in Norway decades ago), so I wouldn't put it past him.

But yeah, not top suspect.

Apparently four people have been shot and killed by a gunman dressed as a policeman at the AUF (Labour party) summer camp on an island outside Oslo.

Our current PM and a former PM were both due to hold speeches there today. The incidents may well be linked.

Glad the Norwegian folks are okay. I can think of bigger targets, honestly, but perhaps Norway being a smaller and relatively innocuous nation makes it easier to pull off something like this.

Hope nothing else awful happens there tonight!

Apparently four people have been shot and killed by a gunman dressed as a policeman at the AUF (Labour party) summer camp on an island outside Oslo.

Our current PM and a former PM were both due to hold speeches there today. The incidents may well be linked.

The timing is too close for me to believe they have nothing to do with each other.

Reports of kids swimming away from the island towards the mainland in order to get away. Quite horrible.

Good god.

Does Norway have a lot of domestic terrorist groups? Because the attack on the island sounds more like something that would be done by a domestic group rather than an international one like al-Qaeda.

Norway probably harbors a few extremist 'elements', but nothing that I could ever imagine pulling off something like this.

Gaddafi has tried to pull this shit in Norway before (targetted US and Israeli embassies in Norway decades ago), so I wouldn't put it past him.

But yeah, not top suspect.

I doubt that this is Gaddafis work - he sits somewhere in Tripolis and watches how he slowly loses Lybia. I hear that the Rebels are now fighting Gaddafis troops in the Capital so I guess he has other problems.

Still, one never knows.

Glad our Norwegian boarders are okay. I hope the culprits are found and further death/destruction is halted.

I also hope Norway doesn't let a terror incident collapse its sphincters and make it abandon its cherished values, like the US did ten years ago.

My sister-in-law lives in Oslo, but has checked in and is fine.

I did get a phone call from my grandad checking if the "Island near Oslo" with the shootings is where my wife and kids are going in 10 days! I think he's planning to try to convince me it's too dangerous to let them go back to Stavanger for a month. Far safer here in London... :P

The latest news is that the gunman apparently is tall and blond and "ethnically Norwegian-looking". That puts the terrorist conspiracy theory into question. It could be a blond muslim extremist, of course, but it seems unlikely.

ETA: Bomb death count has been upped to at least seven.

Someone has been lighting up kids at some labour party youth camp on the island of Utøya. He was dressed as a cop and said it was a routine check due to the bombings in Oslo, and it seems as though several kids (most sources say four) are dead, and some have tried (successfully?) to escape by swimming away from the island.

And the latest count from the explosion is seven dead.

Archived