Does Tywin Lannister know...?

lezboyd

Well, reached the infamous Red Wedding, and a little beyond where in Bran is united with someone from the Night's watch.

But the shock of the RW still remains, and gets me thinking more and more of the events that lead up to it.

At the Twins, Roose Bolton (mis)informs Robb that his bastard son has captured Theon Greyjoy and that when Theon saw that Winterfell was lost, he torched the whole place. Turns out Bolton was in league with Tywin Lannister the whole time, and that he is also in contact with his bastard son to have fed that story to Robb.

Bolton's bastard knows that it is not Bran and Rickon who Theon killed. We also learn in one of Bran's chapters that he is out on the Kingsroad asking if anyone has seen a cripple child with a giant halfwit. We also know that Tywin had not informed anyone about the conspiracy he had hatched with Walder Frey and Bolton, including Cersai and Tyrion, which means that the man can keep secrets if he want to.

It seems to me therefore that Tywin, through Bolton and his bastard son, know that the heirs to Winterfell are alive, which unfortunately does not bode well for them! Bran is still relatively safe because they have avoided the Kingsroad and managed to reach the Wall.

It's possible. But Tywin does tell Tyrion that he was in league in Walder Frey so it isn't a big secret. I hope news of Bran still being alive does start to reach people however, it's all getting a bit depressing and hopeless currently!

I hope news of Bran still being alive does start to reach people however, it's all getting a bit depressing and hopeless currently!

I think it is better that their existence to the world in general remains a secret. Bran's story arc is interesting as he goes about honing his warg powers. I would want Jon Snow to find out though, give the guy some hope. From his current perspective, he has lost everyone, including Ygritte. (I just finished the chapter where Danny is outside the gates of Meereen, and meets a certain knight of the Kingsguard...nice plot twist, this one!)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, reached the infamous Red Wedding, and a little beyond where in Bran is united with someone from the Night's watch.

But the shock of the RW still remains, and gets me thinking more and more of the events that lead up to it.

At the Twins, Roose Bolton (mis)informs Robb that his bastard son has captured Theon Greyjoy and that when Theon saw that Winterfell was lost, he torched the whole place. Turns out Bolton was in league with Tywin Lannister the whole time, and that he is also in contact with his bastard son to have fed that story to Robb.

Bolton's bastard knows that it is not Bran and Rickon who Theon killed. We also learn in one of Bran's chapters that he is out on the Kingsroad asking if anyone has seen a cripple child with a giant halfwit. We also know that Tywin had not informed anyone about the conspiracy he had hatched with Walder Frey and Bolton, including Cersai and Tyrion, which means that the man can keep secrets if he want to.

It seems to me therefore that Tywin, through Bolton and his bastard son, know that the heirs to Winterfell are alive, which unfortunately does not bode well for them! Bran is still relatively safe because they have avoided the Kingsroad and managed to reach the Wall.

Jaime reacts with disgust to the news of the Red Wedding (and he knows it was Tywin's doing, how could he not?). Tyrion also knows....his father says "Some wars are won with swords, other with quill and parchment", and it's not difficult for a clever man to deduce that Tywin had a hand in the Red Wedding once the news is out.

The Boltons may know that Bran and Rickon are out there, but their chances of finding both heirs and killing them is remote.

I think the longer that Bran and Rickon remain secret the more likely people are to let go of the possibility that they are alive.

As for Tywin possibly knowing, I don't see how he COULD know. If he did know that Bran or Rickon (or both, as is true) were alive he wouldn't really bother with having Tyrion marry Sansa in an attempt to procure an heir.

Basically, the reason it would be pointless is because, even if Sansa did have a child they would be overruled by Bran and Rickon's rights to Winterfell FIRST and foremost, and then should THEY have children of their own someday they would also take Winterfell before Sansa's could.

This all leads me to believe that Tywin legitimately thought that they were dead children. Tywin was not a man to waste his time on small things that would not matter in the end. What it boils down to is Sansa would still be more of a prisoner held for their purposes if he DID know, instead of marrying his son off.

Granted he doesn't really consider Tyrion much of a son, if at all, but as he is STILL Lannister blood it doesn't matter, he wouldn't waste a Lannister to a completely worthless cause that would gain him/the family nothing.

Archived