Who would you cast?

Tyler Burns

Just finished reading aGOT and started reading aCOK. I haven't seen the TV show yet but I started thinking which actors I would cast if there was ever a movie of aGOT. After some thought, below is who I would cast and why. I concentrated mostly on the adult characters because I don't know child actors.

Ned Stark - Viggo Mortensen.

Go back and watch the LOTR movies. Need I say more? Call it stunt casting but Viggo would be perfect.

Cersei Lannister - This was a tough one. My two top choices would be Nicole Kidman, because she can pull off the icy, cold demeanor of Cersei while still looking regal, or Charlize Thereon, who is a very talented actress, blonde, and gorgeous. Hmmm...

Robert Baratheon - The King who once was great but now is a shadow of his former self. In Gladiator, Joaquin Phoenix showed that he could play a powerful character convincingly. He would just need to exchange Commodus' rage and evil nature for Robert's impatience and mercurial attitude. Joaquin's recent behavior, his weight gain and the growth of a giant beard, also cement this in my mind.

Tywin Lannister - Sting.

If you see Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels, you'll see that Sting is a credible actor and that he can pull off being disappointed with his son. You don't see a lot of Tywin in the first book so Sting's, essentially, cameos would be that much more powerful.

Khal Drogo - Dalip Singh Rana.

If you're not familiar with the name, go back and watch the Longest Yard. That huge dude? That's Dalip. He'd be perfect as the undefeated Khal Drogo.

Okay. Well, I know I left a lot of characters out. Soooo... who would you cast for Jaime Lannister? Catelyn? Little Finger? The Hound?

Catelyn - Cate Blanchett. I haven't seen the show yet either, but when I read the books Cat's physical description made me think of Cate Blanchett right away.

Varys - Jean Reno. He plays some characters who keep their cards hidden well, and you never seem to know fully what's going on with him until late in the film. (Mission Impossible, The DaVinci Code, Ronin) Everything I see him in, I expect him to not really be on the side I think he is on. Also, it is mentioned Varys is originally not from Westeros, but from Lys, so an actor who speaks English with a bit of a foreign accent seems needed here.

Littlefinger: Clive Owen. I want someone who the audience thinks they can trust for most of the film, but at the same time is capable of playing the bad guy and keeping viewers in mind of the past between him and Cat. Owen fits this bill for me. My second choice would be Liam Neeson, but there's too much of an age difference between him and Cate Blanchett to pass them off as childhood friends.

• 4 months later...

Ned Stark, yes, Viggo Mortensen!

Catelyn - Cate Blanchett

Robert - I can't think of anyone as fat as I imagine dear Robert.

Cersei - Nicole Kidman

Renly - Chris Pine

Loras - Alex Pettyfer

Jaime - I imagine him with Beckham-esque looks. Not sure who I'd pick to play him though. Young Sean Bean might do it.

Theon - Tom Felton

Robb - Garrett Hedlund

Jon - Josh Hutcherson

Sansa - Elle Fanning

Arya, I really don't know.

That's about all I can think of currently.

Archived