What a fight scene!

Mattyp

• 3 weeks later...

I also hoped that we had the Viper a bit longer. I would love to see more of his fighting skills, perhaps, match with Tywin :P Also, why kill the Mountain? Argh. I was hoping that would be Sandor's redemption. Tsk. But then where I'm at in the books, the mountain is still with the maester, so maybe he'll survive from the poison.

• 1 month later...

I've just read this... What an amazing fight. I loved the way the Red Viper kept repeating the same words over and over, about Eila, distracting Clegane and frustrating him. It gave it so much impact, that he was fighting for vengeance. And then

that final move by Clegane, and what he did to the Viper, ARGH!!! No wonder it made Tyrion sick! I would have liked the victory for the Red Viper though, he was a really good character, or could have been

I'm just wondering now what's going to happen to Gregor, and whether he's also dead (haven't read much past the fight yet). If not, then it's going to take someone pretty special to get rid of him once and for all.

I do think Sandor and Gregor are due a good fight scene, what with Sandor always talking about killing his brother, so I guess ultimately this is the way I would like it to play out.

To make my first post, I would say that this Tyrion chapter is one of the best chapters I've read in (so far) my favorite book of the series. I actually have to pause reading since it was just overwhelming it left me breathless.

Oberyn, since his arrival in King's Landing up to this chapter, was a pretty solid, badass, and awesome character. Though, yeah, it's kind of frustrating to what GRMM decided to do with him (killed him), I bet it was worth it, in the Red Viper's part, since he made the Mountain confess it in front of the court, thus, having the justice that he always wanted.

• 2 weeks later...

I loved this scene. I really wanted Oberyn to win, both because I love Tyrion and found Oberyn to be pretty interesting as well. There have been many deaths in this series that made me angry, disappointed, and caused a few tears, but for the most part all had purpose. Hopefully this one will too! Can't wait to start AFFC!

It was a great scene. I was rooting for the Red Viper to end and then...so utterly sad about the outcome. Agreed, he would have brought some chaos to KL. I wonder what will happen with Myrcella in Dorne?

I guess since Tyrion already won a Trial by Battle in AGOT, a 2nd time wasn't going to happen. It just seals his fate at this point.

I guess since Tyrion already won a Trial by Battle in AGOT, a 2nd time wasn't going to happen. It just seals his fate at this point.

Tyrion had the odds against him - the fate of Martin's characters are seldom to never decided by mere luck.

I agree with the majority of the posters in this topic - I thought this was one of the most intense chapters throughout the series. It's a shame we cannot follow the tracks of the Red Viper throughout the events of the novels anymore. I am hoping for a flashback or plot twist in which it is revealed that he played an important role in past events though (apart from avenging his sister, that is.).

• 1 year later...

Obviously I'm a tad late to this thread hah, but I agree it was one of the best scenes in the series. I was devastated when The Red Viper lost and Tyrion was sentenced to die, but obviously that ended up resulting in another epic scene. I think the scene is that much better when you find out the tip of the spear was poisoned the whole time. Oberyn knew even if he died he was taking the Mountain with him. Cannot wait to see this scene in season 4!

yeah , as you can see from my gravatar , i loved the Red Viper , he was awesome , and for an instance i was sure he won , but then it was the mountain , he wouldn't give any chance to Oberyn who lost control...he should have killed him when he could and lost it. but he got the revenge he wanted for his dead sister and nephews...now the mountain is dying slowly...too bad Prince Oberyn died...i hoped that Tyrion would be free again and turn everything upside down , but Martin had other plans...i wonder what will happen to our beloved Imp..!

• 2 weeks later...

To be honest, I was also looking forward to a threesome scene, given how the Red Viper was known for his carnality, how him and that Stone chick were known for bedding with others. :drool:

Hell yeah!! There was even some talk of him being wed to Cersei, which would have made a great scene in HBO's season 4

Like many people I was rooting for Oberyn. The book dedicated a good amount of time letting us get to know The Red Viper, especially when Tyrion first welcomed him to Kings Landing. I thought with all that, maybe he would win, but I was wrong. I liked him though, he was honest, strong willed, and made no appolgies for his lusts.

The one thing that I found troubling is that this is suppose to be a trial of sorts. If this was real world it would be a farse. The guiilty could win the fights, and the innocent can lose them. But this is not earth, this is Westeros and the people seem to put a good deal of faith in this trial by combat. I was surpised then that Tyrion lost, since he is innocent. The first two trails by combat in the series had the corect outcomes. Tyrion was innocent of trying to kill Brandon. Sandor Clegane was more or less innocent of atrocities committed by Lannister soldiers. So is trail by combat a farse? or does it have some legitamacy here?

By way of comparison, they put a good deal of faith in Guests Rights, When a guest, be he common born or noble, eats the food and drinks the drink off a host's table beneath the host's roof, the guest right is invoked. This is mention by several characters in the books. But does violation of this really have an effect? We will find out.

The fighth might well have been a draw. If The Mountain died of his wounds, Tyrion should have got the chance of another trial.

Archived