[ADwD Spoilers] Perfumed Seneschal

pow

No. Hear me, Daenerys Targaryen. The glass candles are burning.

Soon comes the pale mare, and after her the others. Kraken and dark flame, lion and griffin, the sun’s son and the mummer’s dragon. Trust none of them. Remember the Undying. Beware the perfumed seneschal."

I've been wondering who the perfumed seneschall was... first i though it might be someone from Mereen. Its not. The glass candle is is mentioned in Samwell's last chapter hes in Old Town. Anyhow, its a Maester the one the grey sheep had sent. Possibly Myles or the one given to the drown God via Victorians wrath. After all the grey sheep killed the dragons.

Edit:

I did not know what a Seneschal was, I should have assumed you wouldnt either.

Seneschal:an agent or steward in charge of a lord's estate in feudal times.

I've been wondering who the perfumed seneschall was... first i though it might be someone from Mereen. Its not. The glass candle is is mentioned in Samwell's last chapter hes in Old Town. Anyhow, its a Maester the one the grey sheep had sent. Possibly Myles or the one given to the drown God via Victorians wrath. After all the grey sheep killed the dragons.

I don't understand what you're asking/saying.

I think its clearly Varys. Martin has always made a point to describe all the various perfumes he uses in every book. Lavender, Lemon, Roses, Ginger....etc...

The perfumed seneschal is not connected to anything else mentioned there, just something or someone to beware.

Could be Varys.

Could be her Meerenese seneschal who runs the animal masked guards

Could be the boat Tyrion is on at one stage, and thus anyone on that boat.

:agree:

There was an attempt to throw us off with references to Reznak, but I think its got to be Varys, and that he's going to be the final betrayer once she finally gets herself back to Westeros sometime in the next 20 years or so.

The perfumed seneschal is not connected to anything else mentioned there, just something or someone to beware.

Could be Varys.

Could be her Meerenese seneschal who runs the animal masked guards

Could be the boat Tyrion is on at one stage, and thus anyone on that boat.

Just a small correction: The shavepate (Shakaz mo Kandaq) runs the "Brazen Beasts" and Reznak Mo Reznak (I believe) is another of Dany's advisors in Meereen who was heavily in favour of the marriage with loraq. He stinks of perfume and therefore Barristan mistrusts him.

Personally, I think Reznak is too obvious of an answer that it is likely someone else. I think it might be Tyrion because I think he is the one who will betray her for love (for Jaime). Or she should just beware of Tyrion and Jorah in general, they might make trouble for her one way or another.

:agree:

There was an attempt to throw us off with references to Reznak, but I think its got to be Varys, and that he's going to be the final betrayer once she finally gets herself back to Westeros sometime in the next 20 years or so.

:laugh:

Yeah, I'm guessing Varys too. I think we readers know enough about Martin that Reznak would actually be a major swerve - I doubt anybody other than Dany thinks it might be Reznak (much in the same way that Tyrion being the valonqar would be a swerve). Though it's possible Reznak ends up being the Harpy or her poisoner and his seeming ineffectualness was a deceipt. But I don't think so.

At first I assumed it was the boat, but that ended up going nowhere and Tyrion's plotline spiraled out of control with the comical repeated capturings. "Oh look, I'm captured. Oh look, I'm captured again."

But now I think Varys is the best suspect. He's the most dangerous threat to her, basically - if she gets in Young Griff's way he'll try to get rid of her. And the epilogue was clearly setting him up as a major antagonist to anyone who gets in his way.

I don't think it's Varys -- he's not a caretaker of anything. I'm inclined to think we still don't know who the perfumed seneschal is. Reznak (he's the perfumed one, while Shakaz runs the Brazen Beasts) hasn't been developed very much at all, and the ship has met an inglorious end. Of course it could be a warning against Tyrion, Penny or Jorah, but my gut says no.

Oh wait. It's ME :lol:

It's not Varys. The time between Ser Barristan/Shavepates getting Hizdarh (Dany's husband, forgot how it's spelled) into custody (the last time we see the seneschal is shortly before that, from what I recall) and Kevan's murder is way too short, not nearly enough for Varys to go from Mereen to King's Landing. Also, Ser Barristan would have recognized him somehow. I know, Varys is a mummer, but still, he would have at least mention something ODD about him.

It's more likely archmaster Merwin. He said he was going after Dany on that last chapter of AFfC. AND it relates to the first part of the prophecy: THE GLASS CANDLES ARE BURNING.

Who said Varys had to be in Meereen? Obviously he was never in Meereen. The threat would be him Varys playing the Game of Thrones once Dany came to Westeros - whenever the hell that would be.

Remember that many of these visions take ages to come true. There's still a few from Game of Thrones that haven't come true yet.

Who said Varys had to be in Meereen? Obviously he was never in Meereen. The threat would be him Varys playing the Game of Thrones once Dany came to Westeros - whenever the hell that would be.

Remember that many of these visions take ages to come true. There's still a few from Game of Thrones that haven't come true yet.

Agreed. Varys we know is behind the Aegon business and so far as we can tell would appear to be trying to get Dany and the Dragons to Westeros to aid her supposed cousin. By the time she gets there Varys would be the senschal who's facilitating the whole thing, but if his real plan is not to restore the Targarayens but clear the way for the Blackfyres, then she will indeed need to beware...

I've seen multiple posts that conflict each other so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Aegon is Rhaegar and Elia's son. Dany is Rhaegars sister and Elia is Doran's daughter. So Aegon is Dany's nephew and and Doran's grandson correct? Because I've seen people call Aegon Doran's nephew, Dany's nephew, Dany's cousin, and Viserys' brother so I want to make sure I'm not confused about this whole thing.

On topic, I think its Varys.

Just a small correction: The shavepate (Shakaz mo Kandaq) runs the "Brazen Beasts" and Reznak Mo Reznak (I believe) is another of Dany's advisors in Meereen who was heavily in favour of the marriage with loraq. He stinks of perfume and therefore Barristan mistrusts him.

Thanks. I knew I was pretty vague on the details there and could be mixing up more than one person. Reznak is who I meant.

Personally, I think Reznak is too obvious of an answer that it is likely someone else. I think it might be Tyrion because I think he is the one who will betray her for love (for Jaime). Or she should just beware of Tyrion and Jorah in general, they might make trouble for her one way or another.

It's certainly a lovely little touch about the name of the boat Tyrion and Jorah are on. So classicly Martin!

I've seen multiple posts that conflict each other so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Aegon is Rhaegar and Elia's son. Dany is Rhaegars sister and Elia is Doran's daughter. So Aegon is Dany's nephew and and Doran's grandson correct? Because I've seen people call Aegon Doran's nephew, Dany's nephew, Dany's cousin, and Viserys' brother so I want to make sure I'm not confused about this whole thing.

Elia is Doran's sister.

So Aegon is Dany's nephew and Doran's nephew, not Doran's grandson, nor Dany's cousin or Viserys' brother.

Its confusing because the ages cross generational levels on the family trees. Dany was younger than her brother Rhaegar's kids.

See here and here for family trees.

On topic, I think its Varys.

Elia was Doran's sister, not his daughter, so Aegon is Doran's nephew as well as Dany's. Otherwise you are correct.

I still think Perfumed Seneschal may be the ship. In another thread somebody mentioned the pickled corpse transported on Selaesori Qhoran may be a victim of grey plague. Is so, the warning makes a lot of sense. Of course, the ship didn't get to Meereen, but we already know Quaithe's prophecies are fallible.

Archived