Jaime POV

Robert Fossoway

• 3 weeks later...

OP - its very important you read the Jaime chapters, not because of Plot etc (i have finised ASOS yet so I dont know) but because if you dont you are positioning yourself in real life as someone who has to like people to treat them as human beings and pay them any heed. Imagine if the fictional Jaime read some snippets of your life - perhaps your less than finest moments as a snapshot told through the prejudiced eyes of other people? Would Jaime like you?

I think maintaining a rigid "I don't ever want to change my opinion about character X" stance is something that will impede enjoyment of any story, not just this series. Who wants to read a book where there are no surprises and none of the characters ever evolve?

Personally, I enjoyed the Jaime chapters the most in ASOS, and that was a pleasant surprise. And there are several characters where my feelings about the characters changed over time based on their actions and POV chapter revelations. I used to like Dany, but now she either bores me or downright annoys me, and I once loathed Theon but found him more interesting as the story progressed.

Skimming over the Jaime chapters means missing most of Brienne's character development, too since she's primarily glimpsed via his POV.

• 2 weeks later...

For real, we've been meant to hate jaime for the first two books because we've seen everything from every point of view but his own, but now after hearing his side of a lot of his backstory, my perspective on a LOT of things have changed. stick with it, he'll keep it interesting to be sure.

I think the point of the series is that everyone is grey, just as in real life, even the 'good' characters do stupid things at times.

I'm a quarter into book 2 of ASoS and have enjoyed reading Jaime's POV, definitely learning loads about the previous war through his POV.

I went from loathing Jamie in the previous books to absolutely loving him in ASoS. Some of the best PoV's in any of the books.

So yeah, totally worth it and necessary.

^ This. In my opinion, he's one of the best POV's in ASoS. Loved his POV. And Tyrion's, as always. :P

I love that these are books about CHARACTERS. and each character has a unique lens to see the world through based on that character's experiences. it gives the reader the freedom/responsibility of deciding where the truth lies. As a reader, you're forced to draw your own conclusions about the value and meaning of the book's events. its makes this a really rewarding read!

I went from loathing Jamie in the previous books to absolutely loving him in ASoS. Some of the best PoV's in any of the books.

So yeah, totally worth it and necessary.

^ This. In my opinion, he's one of the best POV's in ASoS. Loved his POV. And Tyrion's, as always. :P

I agree with both of these statements. I really enjoy their points of view although I'm in no way a Lannister fan. (Well, except I'm always a fan of Tyrion, and have been from the beginning, that won't change for me.)

I think it's important to read the Jaime POVs. Don't want to spoil so I'll just say the realization of his own mortality once removed from the womb of Kings Landing, Tourneys, and Cersei change him immensely (for the better IMO). For me, his experiences distance him from Cersei and help him see how pathetic she really is which, if your a Cersei-hater, like myself, is sweet as Arbor Gold.

I think it's important to read the Jaime POVs. Don't want to spoil so I'll just say the realization of his own mortality once removed from the womb of Kings Landing, Tourneys, and Cersei change him immensely (for the better IMO). For me, his experiences distance him from Cersei and help him see how pathetic she really is which, if your a Cersei-hater, like myself, is sweet as Arbor Gold.

(First, I like your name because I tend to like the Crannogmen)

Agreed. I find I come to like him a bit more towards the end. Cersei is ridiculous, complains she should have been born a male because she truly thinks she would be able to do better than her brothers (I disagree, she's irrational, and because of this tends to make quick decisions without completely thinking things through that don't always benefit her). Either way, I think he still cares about her very much, but is beginning to see her in a different light.

Rather than start another thread, I though I'd ask this here:

Was Tyrion a bit too harsh towards Jaime after the latter's confession re: Tysha? Yes, it was awful what Tywin and Jaime did to Tyrion (mostly Tywin, of course) but might it not be said that Jaime freeing Tyrion could go some way towards making them even? Just wondering. It was sad to see the two brothers become estranged so quickly, in any case.

Anyway, I look forward to the Jaime chapters in AFFC.

Rather than start another thread, I though I'd ask this here:

Was Tyrion a bit too harsh towards Jaime after the latter's confession re: Tysha? Yes, it was awful what Tywin and Jaime did to Tyrion (mostly Tywin, of course) but might it not be said that Jaime freeing Tyrion could go some way towards making them even? Just wondering. It was sad to see the two brothers become estranged so quickly, in any case.

Anyway, I look forward to the Jaime chapters in AFFC.

In a way yes I feel that Tyrion was too harsh, considering that I feel Jaime was sincere in his remorse. However, at the same time you have to realize that Tyrion has not had a chance of seeing Jaime's change, but I feel if he had known the way Jaime had grown he might not have been so harsh, though I'm positive he still would not have been kind upon learning that.

Despite that though, in a way part of me feels like Jaime deservedly because he never said anything sooner, at least not until his character personality development in ASoS. Had he been the same Jaime as before (like in GoT), I feel he would not have told Tyrion at all.

In turn, I do not think that Tyrion had to lie when answering Jaimie's question...

whether Tyrion had killed Joffrey, or not.

He was lying, right? I'm 99% sure he was.....

(First, I like your name because I tend to like the Crannogmen)

Agreed. I find I come to like him a bit more towards the end. Cersei is ridiculous, complains she should have been born a male because she truly thinks she would be able to do better than her brothers (I disagree, she's irrational, and because of this tends to make quick decisions without completely thinking things through that don't always benefit her). Either way, I think he still cares about her very much, but is beginning to see her in a different light.

Thanks, I like the collage of Direwolf names too. Agreed, I was sad to see the brothers part as well especially the way it happened. I'm sure Tyrion was wrought with bitterness and betrayal by that time though I mean, he defended (some could say saved) Kings Landing with much honor, finally felt worthy of his father and then...Hello! no Vaseline, no kiss afterwards...just a dry fracking.

Archived