A Thread for Small Questions XI

Stubby

I'm pretty sure that Starfall was mentioned in GoT. Didn't they say that Ned took Dawn back to Starfall, and there's another hint that Jon was there at some point. Ashara Dayne was mentioned a few times as well.

Also Edric Dayne the squire of Lord Dondarrion, mention he was heir to Starfall to Arya Stark.

Let me apologize in advance if this was asked in some earlier thread. Frankly, I didn't know where to post this question.

The question which popped into my mind after a 2nd read of Clash.

For sake of argument: R + L = J...(I realize Arya isn't aware of this possibility.)

ACOK: Arya I, p.27, last paragraph.

Does Arya have a "crush" on Jon, other than Bro/Sis relationship? Arya is the only "sibling" given a gift (Needle) at his departure for the Wall.

Tnx.

soon after jaqen gives arya her coin, and tells her the volar morghulis (sp?) she says it after someone dies. i know now it means all men must die, but how did arya know that?

i read in another thread that someone said grrm switched someone's eye color, while they were pointing out he changed jeyne's hips. who did he do this to?

when were robert and cersei married?

did littlefinger never leave king's landing when he was supposed to be going to the vale?

why is everyone so set on the jon is rhaegar and lyanna's child if lord beric's squire told arya his mom was a chick named wylla?

when stannis attacked king's landing, who was "renly's ghost" that everyone saw?

soon after jaqen gives arya her coin, and tells her the volar morghulis (sp?) she says it after someone dies. i know now it means all men must die, but how did arya know that?

i read in another thread that someone said grrm switched someone's eye color, while they were pointing out he changed jeyne's hips. who did he do this to?

when were robert and cersei married?

did littlefinger never leave king's landing when he was supposed to be going to the vale?

why is everyone so set on the jon is rhaegar and lyanna's child if lord beric's squire told arya his mom was a chick named wylla?

when stannis attacked king's landing, who was "renly's ghost" that everyone saw?

I think it was just coincidence. Jaqen was a killer and told her to say it.

Not certain.

Right after the rebellion more or less ended.

Not when he was supposed to, but he did so in the end.

Because of this and this

Garlan Tyrell

Renly. On his first appearance in AGOT, he's described as having green eyes. The next time his eyes are described, in ACOK, they're blue.

What are Grumpkins and Snarks?

Why isn't the forum search function working?

Grumkins are little blue men who make toys for Satan Claus, who lives in the Land of Always Winter. It is known that the NW defends against them.

Snarks are comments made by people who think too much of themselves.

In all seriousness, they're basically fairy tale creatures. Tyrion jokes that the NW defends against them, indicating that in stories, they're probably evil creatures, and Arya seems to recall that in Old Nan's stories, one or the other (I don't remember which), one of them grants wishes.

Not sure about the search function.

Search is disabled part of the time due to the board being in 'performance mode', which is currently being engaged at times of high demand to reduce SQL errors. At such times, we suggest you use your favourite search engine, including the term 'asoiaf.westeros.org', which should be a quick and easy workaround.

Questions about board functionality should preferably go in the Help forum, by the way. :)

So, firstly, refresh my memory, please -- Targs were on Dragonstone for, what, two hundred years after the Doom and before the Conquest, yes?

So, secondly, what the heck did they do with themselves in that time? I mean to say, a successful Storm King puts down the odd rebellion, marries well, gets a bunch of kids, and takes a few valleys or a strip of coastland or forest from the Arryns or the Gardeners or some such. Well, the Targs don't have many (if any?) lords under their banner that they might rebel, and if the ever had any coastal possessions it is never mentioned, and anyway seems mostly unlikely.

Were they pirates?

Also: do I remember rightly they landed with ten thousand men? Where did they get so many? From the islands, really? How do the islands field so many?

And finally: do we have any knowledge or reasoned speculation how they styled themselves during this exile? Were they merely Lords of Dragonstone? Princes of Dragonstone? Did they style themselves the Princes Who Were Promised?

So, firstly, refresh my memory, please -- Targs were on Dragonstone for, what, two hundred years after the Doom and before the Conquest, yes?

So, secondly, what the heck did they do with themselves in that time? I mean to say, a successful Storm King puts down the odd rebellion, marries well, gets a bunch of kids, and takes a few valleys or a strip of coastland or forest from the Arryns or the Gardeners or some such. Well, the Targs don't have many (if any?) lords under their banner that they might rebel, and if the ever had any coastal possessions it is never mentioned, and anyway seems mostly unlikely.

Were they pirates?

Also: do I remember rightly they landed with ten thousand men? Where did they get so many? From the islands, really? How do the islands field so many?

And finally: do we have any knowledge or reasoned speculation how they styled themselves during this exile? Were they merely Lords of Dragonstone? Princes of Dragonstone? Did they style themselves the Princes Who Were Promised?

Well, Stannis fielded five thousand, and the Targaryens probably got support from some lords as soon as they landed.

As to their titles, I'm uncertain.

I have a small question that has been eating at me all day and haven't managed to find a credible/logical answer.

Where was Oberyn Martell during Robert's Rebellion? He was in his mid-twenties during this time so he was of age and someone like Oberyn doesn't seem to shy away from a fight.

I understand Dorne were pissed after Rhaegar's slight at the Tourney at Harrenhal and were very slow in sending aid. But Oberyn's devotion to his sister Elia is clearly unwavering so why didn't he rush to defend her when 10,000 Dornishmen marched North to the Trident? I have got the impression that his uncle (Prince Lewyn) and Rhaegar lead the Dornishmen into battle but there is just no mention of the Red Viper.

Was he away on business? I just can't figure out where he could be!

Could someone explain to me what the first 'dance with dragons' was exactly

Do you mean the Dance of the Dragons? From what I remember, Viserys I trained his daughter, Rhaenyra, to be his heir but the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard Criston Cole (The Kingmaker) decided to make one of Viserys' sons from a later marriage the heir to the throne.

The dance specifically refers to the all out warfare between the Targaryen families and their dragons that followed which usually resulted in mass destruction as the dragons were too powerful so it was extremely costly to the point of it being loss either way. Both of the heirs died in the end and Rhaenyra's son succeeded them both (so pretty pointless in that regard) but he starting putting dragons in the pits in King's Landing which eventually lead to their extinction.

Archived