A Thread for Small Questions XI

Stubby

Do you mean the Dance of the Dragons? From what I remember, Viserys I trained his daughter, Rhaenyra, to be his heir but the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard Criston Cole (The Kingmaker) decided to make one of Viserys' sons from a later marriage the heir to the throne.

The dance specifically refers to the all out warfare between the Targaryen families and their dragons that followed which usually resulted in mass destruction as the dragons were too powerful so it was extremely costly to the point of it being loss either way. Both of the heirs died in the end and Rhaenyra's son succeeded them both (so pretty pointless in that regard) but he starting putting dragons in the pits in King's Landing which eventually lead to their extinction.

It was something i read in SSM, most likely i got the name wrong and dance of the dragons is correct. Thanks for the explanation its was helpful

I'm pretty sure that Starfall was mentioned in GoT. Didn't they say that Ned took Dawn back to Starfall, and there's another hint that Jon was there at some point. Ashara Dayne was mentioned a few times as well.

Rumor has it the Jon was conceived there, and that his mother was Ashara Dayne.

My apologies if this has been addressed before, but I just finished re-reading AFFC and I'm very curious about who betrayed Arriane Martell and her conspirators. It may not have been revealed at all (at least not before ADWD), but I wondered if there were any clues I may have missed, or failing that any good theories. Thanks in advance!

Rumor has it the Jon was conceived there, and that his mother was Ashara Dayne.

no, Jon could not have been conceived there due to timeline issues, but Ashara has been rumored to be the mother, yes.

Hi! This will be my first post ever so please be nice! ;) Sorry if this has ever been asked before but my question is from a line in the first book of the series concerning Bran's first vision where he is looking over guess, seems like the whole world. It says "He lifted his eyes and saw clear across the narrow sea, to the Free Cities and the green Dothraki sea and beyond, to Vaes Dothrak under its mountain, to the fabled lands of the Jade Sea, to Asshai by the Shadow, where dragons stirred beneath the sunrise.

I know that none of the characters have made it to Asshai though in theory, at least according to whatever prophecy, Dany eventually has to go there before she can go to Westeros? Sorry, just checking my understanding. But now, my actual question, concerning what I italicized...does that line mean dragons, like wild dragons exist in the far east? I know everyone in Westeros thought them extinct and the Targaryeans too, before Dany hatched her eggs. Did all the free cities think so too? If dragons exist in the far east, anyone have any ideas about what the implications could be? Thanks in advance...and sorry if this was the wrong thread to write this in, still finding my way around this place.

Hi! This will be my first post ever so please be nice! ;) Sorry if this has ever been asked before but my question is from a line in the first book of the series concerning Bran's first vision where he is looking over guess, seems like the whole world. It says "He lifted his eyes and saw clear across the narrow sea, to the Free Cities and the green Dothraki sea and beyond, to Vaes Dothrak under its mountain, to the fabled lands of the Jade Sea, to Asshai by the Shadow, where dragons stirred beneath the sunrise.

I know that none of the characters have made it to Asshai though in theory, at least according to whatever prophecy, Dany eventually has to go there before she can go to Westeros? Sorry, just checking my understanding. But now, my actual question, concerning what I italicized...does that line mean dragons, like wild dragons exist in the far east? I know everyone in Westeros thought them extinct and the Targaryeans too, before Dany hatched her eggs. Did all the free cities think so too? If dragons exist in the far east, anyone have any ideas about what the implications could be? Thanks in advance...and sorry if this was the wrong thread to write this in, still finding my way around this place.

No, this would be a fine thread to raise this. :) Unfortunately there really isn't an answer, other than 'we don't know'. We know every little about Asshai or the Shadow, except that they seem to be a place where magic has endured much more than it has in Westeros. Bran's vision does seem to suggest that dragons exist there - but that's all we have to go on. And it may be that we never get more - GRRM has suggested that we may not see Asshai except in flashbacks.

can we post DWD stuff in here now?

An announcement will be posted sometime today.

was the alchemist in the prologue of a feast for crows jaqen hagar? i just finished the prologue, and i don't remember much of what follows. so i could be asking a question that gets answered simply later in the book.

Yes.

Littlefinger claims to have taken both Lysa and Cat's maidenhead...It is confirmed about Lysa at some point but as far as I know, there has been no confirmation that it was true for Cat. Is Littlefinger lying or has there been some subtle confirmation i may have missed? Thanks

If my memory is good, the night Littlefinger thought he was taking Cat's maidenhood he was actually sleeping with Lysa but he was too drunk. So I don't think he took Cat's maidenhood.

If my memory is good, the night Littlefinger thought he was taking Cat's maidenhood he was actually sleeping with Lysa but he was too drunk. So I don't think he took Cat's maidenhood.

Yeah I remember something like that too. I'm doing a series reread and I'm about 75% ASoS. Reading this time around i've noticed that he seems to make the claim about Cat quite a few times. He even says it to Sansa when they are on the boat escaping KL. Since littlefinger seems as if every thing he does is part of some bigger plan it just got me wondering what the significance of this claim may be.

But I could be reading too much into it...?

Yeah I remember something like that too. I'm doing a series reread and I'm about 75% ASoS. Reading this time around i've noticed that he seems to make the claim about Cat quite a few times. He even says it to Sansa when they are on the boat escaping KL. Since littlefinger seems as if every thing he does is part of some bigger plan it just got me wondering what the significance of this claim may be.

But I could be reading too much into it...?

I'm on my first read so most things escape me. I think that when he says it to Sansa is because in his freaky mind that makes their bond special, like he is the man of all the Tully women.

In the aftermath of the Battle of the Trident, it is said that an injured Barristan Selmy was brought before Robert Baratheon and against advice from his bannermen, he let Ser Barristan live and even sent his own Maester to treat him.

Was this Maester Cressen?

In the aftermath of the Battle of the Trident, it is said that an injured Barristan Selmy was brought before Robert Baratheon and against advice from his bannermen, he let Ser Barristan live and even sent his own Maester to treat him.

Was this Maester Cressen?

Yeah, that sounds right; never thought of it

Littlefinger claims to have taken both Lysa and Cat's maidenhead...It is confirmed about Lysa at some point but as far as I know, there has been no confirmation that it was true for Cat. Is Littlefinger lying or has there been some subtle confirmation i may have missed? Thanks

I distinctly remember that in on of Cat's POV that she was nervous when marrying Ned Stark as she was worried about him taking her maidenhood. IIRC is was is SoS when she is thinking of Edmure marrying Roslin. Because of that, I believe Cat was a virgin when she married Ned.

I have a question of my own:

Are the Targaryens the only House of Old Valyria to survive the Doom of Valyria?

Are the Targaryens the only House of Old Valyria to survive the Doom of Valyria?

Well, I don't think anyone survived the Doom, but they had outposts outside of Valyria. Likewise, I'm sure there is plenty of Valyrian descendants (or even Valyrian Houses) in the Free Cities.

Nope, they're not even the only Valyrian House in Westeros. House Velaryon came along with House Targaryen when they went west to Westeros, and they supplied brides to Targaryens on several occasions. Cersei's admiral Aurane Waters is a bastard of House Velaryon, and Cersei mentions how he sorta resembles Rhaegar.

I was flicking through A Storm of Swords yesterday and came across the Queen of Thorns telling Sansa that "They tried to marry me to a Targaryn once, but I soon put an end to that."

Do we know who this Targaryn was, or is this the only mention of it?

Archived