A Thread for Small Questions XI

Stubby

I was flicking through A Storm of Swords yesterday and came across the Queen of Thorns telling Sansa that "They tried to marry me to a Targaryn once, but I soon put an end to that."

Do we know who this Targaryn was, or is this the only mention of it?

I don't think it would have been Maester Aemon because I think he was sent to the Citadel quite young. I'd lean more towards Aerion Brightflame, but it's all just speculation.

I was flicking through A Storm of Swords yesterday and came across the Queen of Thorns telling Sansa that "They tried to marry me to a Targaryn once, but I soon put an end to that."

Do we know who this Targaryn was, or is this the only mention of it?

Really hard to know. Just to put some ballpark into this, someone mentioned Aemon which makes sense from a "2 old people" perspective, but we need to keep in mind how insanely old Aemon is.

QoT is billed as "even older than Hoster Tully". Okay, but Hoster was in his early 60s when he died, so we know that Aemon is about 40 years old than that.

Got that: Aemon was likely old enough to be QoT's GRANDFATHER!

So with that in mind, if the Targ was someone we've actually heard of (and we haven't heard of the whole tree), we'd want to look at Egg's descendants. Given that Aerys married his sister (probably no debate about that one), if it was a Targ we knew about, it's probably one of Egg's 3 sons.

Got that: Aemon was likely old enough to be QoT's GRANDFATHER!

So with that in mind, if the Targ was someone we've actually heard of (and we haven't heard of the whole tree), we'd want to look at Egg's descendants. Given that Aerys married his sister (probably no debate about that one), if it was a Targ we knew about, it's probably one of Egg's 3 sons.

Agreed egg was around 11-12 when he a Dunk help to put down the 2nd blackfire rebellion the Lord Frey was a boy of four and Aemon is a few years older then egg the QoT doesn't seem to be in the age range of old lord Frey and she would have had to of an age before Aemom started to forge his chain

how does the night watchmen pay for the whores at Molestown?, does the night watch pays them or something?

they pay them in pilfered goods, such as food and clothing, as per a SSM.

I have a question regarding Lady Lysa's death by Littlefinger, and how Baelish was able to convince Marillion to lie about the circumstances of Lysa Tully's murder via the Moon Door. It seems to me that Petyr would not have been able to scurry Marillion away to Mord and the sky cells (for persuasive tactics), or would not have been able to convince the bard to lie and take the blame for the lady's death in the very short time needed (as there were Eyrie guards banging at the door to enter the great hall). If perchance I caught GRRM in a literary faux pax here, I would think a signed copy of The Winds of Winter would be a suitable reward (and if I'm wrong, I'll eat my boot!).

I have a question regarding Lady Lysa's death by Littlefinger, and how Baelish was able to convince Marillion to lie about the circumstances of Lysa Tully's murder via the Moon Door. It seems to me that Petyr would not have been able to scurry Marillion away to Mord and the sky cells (for persuasive tactics), or would not have been able to convince the bard to lie and take the blame for the lady's death in the very short time needed (as there were Eyrie guards banging at the door to enter the great hall). If perchance I caught GRRM in a literary faux pax here, I would think a signed copy of The Winds of Winter would be a suitable reward (and if I'm wrong, I'll eat my boot!).

He doesn't need to convince Marillion right there and then, is the answer. His words to the guards are right there in the text - 'this singer's just killed my lady wife'. The guards arrest Marillion based on that accusation. He might deny it at the time, but he would, wouldn't he?

Then when he's in the cells, LF has leisure to persuade Marillion to take the fall.

From what I understand, Brienne's shield is a replica of Dunk's...and I believe there was a reference that she'd seen the shield design before. Possibly in her father's hall? Memory hazy on this bit.

Has it ever been explained how Dunk crossed paths with the Tarths, or at least how they came into possession of his shield?

i actually just read that part today. i believe it said her father's armory is where she saw it. i can't help with the answer though.

is grrm sticking to 7 books for now? i guess i was figuring since affc and adwd are two halves of one book they would be like the fifth, making it 8 total.

From what I understand, Brienne's shield is a replica of Dunk's...and I believe there was a reference that she'd seen the shield design before. Possibly in her father's hall? Memory hazy on this bit.

Has it ever been explained how Dunk crossed paths with the Tarths, or at least how they came into possession of his shield?

A Tarth fought at Ashford, but more we just haven't seen it. It could be that at somepoint Summerhall or the Iron Throne made a marriage for him to some woman from Trath she died before he joint the KG

i actually just read that part today. i believe it said her father's armory is where she saw it. i can't help with the answer though.

is grrm sticking to 7 books for now? i guess i was figuring since affc and adwd are two halves of one book they would be like the fifth, making it 8 total.

He still intends to write only two more books.

This might have been discussed before, but the search engine doesn't work right now, so...

I think it is in Clash of Kings, when Bran reminisces about what his father told him about the Reeds, it is said that Ned always "spoke sadly" of Howland.

Now, it might be irrelevant, but this struck me as odd - Howland was supposed to be one of Ned's best friends, they survived an epic battle together (Tower of Joy), then Howland disappears forever.

Any thoughts on that?

Does anyone know how Jojen Reed knows which dreams are green? They aren't literally green, are they?

It could be like Bran's crow dream where he sees into the north. They could be so obviously different from a normal dream that you just know. Does he ever share that one with Jojen? I don't remember Jojen ever saying that Bran has the greensight.

Why has Starfall been on the map of Westeros since the first book? It's not a key location in any way like the strongholds of the lords paramount or cities such as Oldtown and Gulltown. Does this forebode that the castle is important to the overarching storyline of the book because it ties in greatly, maybe, with the mystery of Jon's parentage? I just want to know why this castle, held by a family that hasn't played a major role in the novels so far, and not other castles.

I have noticed that several strongholds mentioned more than once are not on the map, which is frustrating - House Bracken, House Blackwood for example. House Tarly's Horn Hill also did not show up on the map until ADWD.

Starfall, however, is the home of the Darkstar, who tried to kill Myrcella, and of Edric Dayne, who was squire to Beric Dondarrion and is now with Stoneheart.

I have noticed that several strongholds mentioned more than once are not on the map, which is frustrating - House Bracken, House Blackwood for example. House Tarly's Horn Hill also did not show up on the map until ADWD.

Well, we didn't even see any of the eastern continent, where all of Dany's storyline takes place, until the the third book. I think we ought to be able to handle not seeing a few strongholds in Westeros.

Archived