A Thread for Small Questions XI

Stubby

How did Mormont ever get to the wall? We know hes proud and is shamed by jorahs slaving as he tells jon when he gives him longclaw, so what did he do to get sent to the wall? or is he a volunteer?

also wondering about benjen, cotter pyke, denys mallister, and donal noye

At least in the North, it was not unusual to send third+ sons to the Wall, maybe some houses still hold that tradition. It certainly seems true for Benjen. As for Mormont, I think he went to the Wall by choice as well.

That's a terrific question. I wonder if Luwin didn't travel south with Ned when he went wed Cat? And remained at Riverrun as there was no point in traveling to war with Ned, particularly when the new Lady of Winterfell and its heir had need of him? Is that possible?

Yes, I believe that would be he most reasonable explanation (other than a mistake by GRRM).

I wonder...if Sansa could be the stone dragon that has to be woken..She has no wolf anymore,at the moment she goes by the name Stone..

I do not really believe it, but everything is possible in those books :).

I wonder...if Sansa could be the stone dragon that has to be woken..She has no wolf anymore,at the moment she goes by the name Stone..

I don't think Sansa could be described as a dragon currently... and even if Littlefinger converts her to a spymaster/player, a dragon is not the best description for a spymaster-type character.

I don't think Sansa could be described as a dragon currently... and even if Littlefinger converts her to a spymaster/player, a dragon is not the best description for a spymaster-type character.

However, "The Dragon" is typically a term in literary context for a character who is the right-hand man (or woman, as the case may be) of a major villain (a la Darth Vader), and who often ends up carrying out the dirty work, to the piping of said villain. While admittedly, the prophecy being fulfilled in this manner would be a bit far-fetched, I think it's within the realm of possibility for LF to eventually refer to Sansa as his "dragon" in whatever sense you care to make it (pet, mount, servant, weapon).

However, "The Dragon" is typically a term in literary context for a character who is the right-hand man (or woman, as the case may be) of a major villain (a la Darth Vader), and who often ends up carrying out the dirty work, to the piping of said villain. While admittedly, the prophecy being fulfilled in this manner would be a bit far-fetched, I think it's within the realm of possibility for LF to eventually refer to Sansa as his "dragon" in whatever sense you care to make it (pet, mount, servant, weapon).

Not sure I see Martin as a TV Tropes fan.

Where was Luwin during Robert's rebellion? In the beginning of AGOT (where Ned, Cat and Luwin are in Ned's and Cat's bedroom), Cat says that he was present at the birhts of all her children, but Robb was born in Riverrun, not in Winterfell. Are the maesters not bound to one castle, meaning Luwin was supposed to be at Winterfell the whole time? I cannot see Catelyn not remembering who was there while her son was being born.

We know that Luwin was not maester under Lord Rickard. So he may not have been in Winterfell at the time Robb was born. In fact, it is possible that he was at Riverrun en route to Winterfell when Robb was born.

But honestly? I think it's much easier to assume that Cat just misspoke. She had a lot on her mind at that point, being precise about the number of her children's births Luwin had attended was not top of her list. It was a casual remark: 'all of her children except Robb' would have sounded awkward.

I got a question about ACOK: After Jon had killed Orell, he and the Halfhand are hunted down by his eagle, right? But how did the bird communicate to the wildlings where they were, if Varamyr took over? He was miles away. Or did they go back and forth between Mance's camp and the Swirling Pass, like, pretty fast?

So if it was Varamyr who watched them through the bird's eyes, did Mance Rayder knew it was Quorin he sent Rattleshirt's band after?

I got a question about ACOK: After Jon had killed Orell, he and the Halfhand are hunted down by his eagle, right? But how did the bird communicate to the wildlings where they were, if Varamyr took over? He was miles away. Or did they go back and forth between Mance's camp and the Swirling Pass, like, pretty fast?

So if it was Varamyr who watched them through the bird's eyes, did Mance Rayder knew it was Quorin he sent Rattleshirt's band after?

IIRC, Varamyr took over Orell's eagle, and communicated in this way. Because as a Warg, he was capable of shifting bodies from the eagle and back to his own, fairly easily. So yes, basically, he would shift quickly there and back.

IIRC, Varamyr took over Orell's eagle, and communicated in this way. Because as a Warg, he was capable of shifting bodies from the eagle and back to his own, fairly easily. So yes, basically, he would shift quickly there and back.

Yes. But how did Varamyr communicate with Rattleshirt's band?

Yes. But how did Varamyr communicate with Rattleshirt's band?

I think that Rattleshirt probably just followed the trail, and perhaps occasionally, the eagle would drop in to direct them. Really, I think the height of its service was to sic Rattleshirt on Qhorin and Jon.

Someone on /r/asoiaf has a good question:

Well, avoiding obvious questions, the one that bugs me is this:

When Brandon Stark rode on Kings Landing, after Rhaegar 'kidnapped' Lyanna, demanding her freedom, he took with him some loyal companions. These all died, save one - Ethan Glover. How did Ethan Glover survive the Mad King's insanity? We know many bore witness to Aerys' actions, so he wasn't needed for this. It also seems unlikely he was a craven who begged for mercy - he met his death fighting with Ned at the Tower of Joy.

I doubt that the answer is that interesting. But it does bother me.

I have a small question about Harry the Heir. I know he is (after Robert) the next heir to house Arryn through the female line, but if Robert were to die and he were to become Lord of the Vale, would he be incorporated into House Arryn?

What I mean is, would his name change to Harold Arryn, so that the noble house will remain the noble house and not become house Hardyng?

Archived