A Thread for Small Questions XI

Stubby

Yes, sometimes they are wrapped rather than just being a single chain. Grand Maester Pycelle's chain as described in CoK:

"It was a heavy thing, a dozen maester's collars threaded around and through each other and ornamented with gemstones."

However, Pycelle's is purely honorary, and a number of links seem to be a certain metal solely for stylistic tastes.

I am so grateful for a small questions thread.......it is unbelievable how much posters know about, well, everything. I wonder if the average poster reads each of the books at least five times and takes notes? (That is not my question!)

If King Robert either didn't want to pay his creditors back, or couldn't pay them back, other than refusing to lend more and letting it be known among other potential creditors that he defaulted, how would someone like Tywin Lannister collect his debt?

I am so grateful for a small questions thread.......it is unbelievable how much posters know about, well, everything. I wonder if the average poster reads each of the books at least five times and takes notes? (That is not my question!)

If King Robert either didn't want to pay his creditors back, or couldn't pay them back, other than refusing to lend more and letting it be known among other potential creditors that he defaulted, how would someone like Tywin Lannister collect his debt?

I dont think Robert had a clue abouth finances.

And Tywin did colect,maybe not in coins but in power and influence.

Nobody ever caled Cersey-Cersey Baretheon

She is always Lanister

And all of the children wore bouth theyr fathers and theyr mothers house colours wich is not usual in Westeros especialy in royal familly

I don't think Tywin ever expected to be repaid, but by bankrolling the realm, he was able to hold Robert to ransom i.e. cut him off financially if he disagreed with a policy, or offer to forgive some of the debt in exchange for political favours.

(And I've reread the books once, in advance of ADWD's release ;) )

I've read Game 4 times, Clash/Storm/Feast 3 times each, and Dance once, never taken any notes, except a simple list of the heads of each major house.

Tywin could stop paying taxes, withhold his levies, etc.

Did Tywin (not Tyrion) and Shae, you know, do it?

No one knows. There is a theory that Varys planted her there, sent Tyrion, and gave Tywin that poison to keep him in the bathroom all night.

No one knows. There is a theory that Varys planted her there, sent Tyrion, and gave Tywin that poison to keep him in the bathroom all night.

I had forgotten about that poison. It didn't make sense for Varys to be able to sneak Shae in while Tywin was in the privy. Now it does. I can't see Tywin sleeping with her, but it's possible.

It sounds like the Last Kiss was a normal ceremonial rite; when Thoros performed it on Beric, he certainly wasn't expecting a resurrection. Probably something to do with magic becoming stronger now that the dragons are back in the world.

Yeah, what Thoros did isn't necromancy. Though many theorize that Mel is undead and that

Moqorro

(a character from Dance) and other priests may be undead as well, in which case the red priests may have some association with necromancy.

So no one knows if Mel had some vision of Stannis on the Iron Throne or not?

Nobody ever caled Cersey-Cersey Baretheon

She is always Lanister

Speaking of which - since Robert died, has Cersei gone back to using her maiden name? Have we seen her name used alongside any official documents since Robert's death?

^^ I don't know for sure but I would say yes. It was a rebellion. It's not the same as Jaime being a KG and stabbing Aerys. So even if people didn't know but found out I don't think they'd be that mad.

Almost certainly not.

There were very few survivors from ToJ (Ned, Howland and probably Wylla and a tiny handful of other loyal servants) and all of them have vested interest in secrecy.

No other character even mentions it when it would be a notable feather in Ned's cap, one of those things which totally seals a reputation.

Ned has no need to explain anything. He wen away south to deal with the remaining rebels after KL. He came back with Jon and some losses. There isn't anything to 'explain' to most people, especially if it was a sort of 'secret mission' (only his closest friends) in the first place.

Almost certainly not.

There were very few survivors from ToJ (Ned, Howland and probably Wylla and a tiny handful of other loyal servants) and all of them have vested interest in secrecy.

No other character even mentions it when it would be a notable feather in Ned's cap, one of those things which totally seals a reputation.

Ned has no need to explain anything. He wen away south to deal with the remaining rebels after KL. He came back with Jon and some losses. There isn't anything to 'explain' to most people, especially if it was a sort of 'secret mission' (only his closest friends) in the first place.

Cersei, for one, certainly knows. I'd assume it was common knowledge, at least among the nobles.

She does?

Don't have the book in front of me, but it was in the godswood. Cersei asks him about who his baby mama was, and asks if Ashara Dayne killed herself because of the "brother you killed or the child you stole."

EDIT: typos

Don't have the book in front of me, but it was in the godswood. Cersei asks him about who his baby mama was, and asks if Ashara Dayne killed herself because of the "brother you killed or the child you stole."

EDIT: typos

That follows from his returning the sword Dawn to house Dayne though. I think Cersei (and common knowledge) just knows that Ned returned Dawn to Starfall (which would have required a dead Arthur Dayne) after the war, Ashara 'suicided' and Ned came away from Starfall with Jon.

I don't think it says anything about ToJ or the other KG.

And I am not sure that anybody else 'knows' that Ned killed Dayne, though most will correctly infer it from his returning Dawn to the Daynes.

Edit: But I was clearly wrong with the 'no other character even mentions it part. :read:

Why are all the great warriors/fighters/knights etc always lords.. Now I realize that Lords get much better training that commons but still wouldn't being great at combat also have something to do with natural born talent? Which means anyone can be very good and some lowborns as they get older and realize that they have a certain talent for violence become great through practice.

I believe that's how the Cleganes rose up but still it seems to be rare. Is this just done for the convenience of the story?

Archived