A Thread for Small Questions XI

Stubby

If he was following just gossip, maester Lewin (he was also present when he said it) would have corrected him or somehow noted that. He didn't (and he was the one who insisted that Bran tells Osha the family's history).

Which means that the 'gossip' was the 'official' history even if it did not come from Ned, or at least that Maester Luwin was aware that Ned did not want his kids knowing the 'true' story (or the Luwin was himself unaware).

Luwin not correcting the Rickard error very strongly points to Ned not being the source of the story.

Ned is good at letting other's lies, or errors, stand when they suits his purpose, but he doesn't seem to be able to lie even when he'd like to.

Ned is good at letting other's lies, or errors, stand when they suits his purpose, but he doesn't seem to be able to lie even when he'd like to.

That's a pretty understandable way to be.

“You were not wholly frank with me, Frodo.”

“I told no lies, and of the truth all I could,” said Frodo.

“I do not blame you,” said Faramir. “You spoke with skill in a hard place, and wisely, it seemed to me. But I learned or guessed more from you than your words said.”

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question about the 'official' story of Lyanna's death. I have been trying to get a bead on what the story is and I agree that it is along the lines of: 'Rhaegar did something really bad to Lyanna and it killed her.' I've thinking about it because I have been pondering the lies that Ned would have to tell to keep R+L=J secret (if it's true). Additionally, I have been thinking about what other characters could know or suspect.

I have another small question. Do you think it is possible that Dany's dragons are animated by necromancy?

We have seen many examples of necromancy or something very similar in these books (the wights, Mirri Maz Duur's 'revival' of Drogo, Lord Beric, UnCat, UnGregor, Victarion's hand, possibly people who have greyscale, etc.). I wonder if there is something happening in the ASoIaF world that blends the line between life and death. So, instead of the dragons bringing magic back to the world, there is something magical happening somewhere, that allowed the dragons to be born from fossils?

Why did Khal Drogo agree to marry Dany? What did they offer them? If someone could give me a good answer on this I would appreciate it.

A gorgeous teenage bride isn't enough you mean? The Last of the blood of the old Valyrian Lords?

Actually, I recently wondered about this. Drogo seems to get nothing useful out of the deal. He agrees to lend his army to Viserys for a - pardon me for the crude wording, but it's accurate - teenage pussy the likes of which can be found all across the Free Cities' brothels. Even her Valyrian blood isn't something that unique - there are many descendants of Valyria in Essos, and some of them might not be from that a lesser pedigree (considering that the Westerosi Crown meant nothing to Drogo). And in any case, from what I've seen of Drogo, he didn't seem impressed with Dany's ancestry.

It actually seems like Drogo got swindled somehow. Not that impossible considering that he's just a savage and Illyrio is very cunning.

She's the last heir to the Targaryen dynasty, a princess. That's a little bit more significant than being a member of the Valyrian race. She's also supposedly very beautiful. My guess is that the idea of being married to a foreign princess captured him.

She's the last heir to the Targaryen dynasty, a princess. That's a little bit more significant than being a member of the Valyrian race. She's also supposedly very beautiful. My guess is that the idea of being married to a foreign princess captured him.

And it's also a symbol of prestige. He's already the most powerful Khal in living memory, and with a wife like this, his power and reputation would only increase.

For the above, didn't Illyrio also make a decent profit in terms of slaves/goods? I believe it is mentioned in GoT, so there is a decent chance Drogo received goods/riches in the deal as well.

Here is my question.

I'm nearly done with my re-read of GoT. Something popped up in my head early on. If Theon is Ned Stark's squire/ward, why would he not accompany him south to King's Landing? Assuming that the squire should be under the knight until he is ready for lordship/knighthood himself, shouldn't Theon have stayed with Ned, or Ned should have knighted him and then gone to King's Landing? Ned had to know he would be gone for an extended period of time considering he was going to be the Hand of the King. Why would his squire not accompany him on such a journey?

Here is my question.

I'm nearly done with my re-read of GoT. Something popped up in my head early on. If Theon is Ned Stark's squire/ward, why would he not accompany him south to King's Landing? Assuming that the squire should be under the knight until he is ready for lordship/knighthood himself, shouldn't Theon have stayed with Ned, or Ned should have knighted him and then gone to King's Landing? Ned had to know he would be gone for an extended period of time considering he was going to be the Hand of the King. Why would his squire not accompany him on such a journey?

there was a thread about this a while back. I think the conclusion was that

a.) he had promised Balon to keep Theon safe behind the walls of Winterfell, or

b.) he wanted to encourage the friendship between Robb and Theon to continue

Here's the old thread:

http://asoiaf.wester...-kings-landing/

Er, Theon was not a squire. Eddard was not a knight.

Actually, I recently wondered about this. Drogo seems to get nothing useful out of the deal. He agrees to lend his army to Viserys for a - pardon me for the crude wording, but it's accurate - teenage pussy the likes of which can be found all across the Free Cities' brothels. Even her Valyrian blood isn't something that unique - there are many descendants of Valyria in Essos, and some of them might not be from that a lesser pedigree (considering that the Westerosi Crown meant nothing to Drogo). And in any case, from what I've seen of Drogo, he didn't seem impressed with Dany's ancestry.

It actually seems like Drogo got swindled somehow. Not that impossible considering that he's just a savage and Illyrio is very cunning.

The keyword is 'eventually'. In fact, until the assassination attempt, it was highly unlikely Drogo was ever seriously considering Westeros. It's clear he had no respect for Viserys.

The keyword is 'eventually'. In fact, until the assassination attempt, it was highly unlikely Drogo was ever seriously considering Westeros. It's clear he had no respect for Viserys.

Um, no, it's made clear in the text numerous times that Drogo fully intended to honor the agreement. He was just going to do it in his own time. And that's what gets me wondering - a princess, even a Targaryen one, is generally not worth an army.

Um, no, it's made clear in the text numerous times that Drogo fully intended to honor the agreement. He was just going to do it in his own time. And that's what gets me wondering - a princess, even a Targaryen one, is generally not worth an army.

Are we certain about that? IIRC, the only mention made was Jorah saying as much. After the whole Cart King incident, I somehow doubt Drogo would do even that.

Archived