Aussies LV

Horza

Prearts bigged up these Dockers to me and all they do is lose. Bah!

I would talk up Richmond but... they do have a really good team song.

Got an offer for a graduate role, but it's for an early 2012 start :ohwell: . I will probably take it as it's better than nothing at this point, but trying to figure out how to let them know that I will continue to hunt for a role that starts sometimes this year and if I find it, I will most likely ditch them :P. Or just not tell them. But I do try to be open and honest about these type of things. Not yet sure what I will do. Wait and see how things go with the job hunting, I guess.

Congrats Nil :cheers:. My advice would be to hold-off telling the firm that has offered you work for 2012 about the ongoing job hunt until you have actually secured a job beginning sooner (even if you reject the 2012 offer in say, November, the employer will still have time to find a suitable applicant).

:crying:

Now I just have to wait for the start of the EPL season (Carn Rovers!).

They're still doing better than the team I chose (although to be fair, I chose the Suns mainly because they were the n00bs).

dear aussie boarders,

I am sorry to derail this thread, but I felt it would be a bit overkill to start a new one and where else could I post this but the aus thread? furthermore chat is boycotting me as if I had done it a grave mortal insult.

you all live and survive in that western neighbor of mine and I just have some questions since I have finally decided to leave nz and travel again. I hope you don't mind me being so presumptuous.

I get there on the 16th and need to be back in canberra on the 30th of aug for a passport renewal (only swedish embassy in the region... ugh), in the meantime I really hope to get to do some free-diving (and depending on rental prices scuba diving as well), in the great barrier reef. I'd have about 10 days or so to hitch northwards and back, and am just wondering if five days there, and five back is a realistic time frame?

is the weather this time of year going to be against me or for? if you've done the drive, or journeyed in some other way, how long did it take you?

I'd feel a lot more confident in say, europe, where you don't have the same sort of emptyness between cities and long, non-stop roads. I also wonder if there is anyone living to the north that knows the best spot to head out from, all my research points to cairns.

also, if anyone wants to let me buy them a beer as thanks, I'd be keen, even though my kiwi friends have tried to brainwash me with a little bit of that nz/aus rivalry. :P

much obliged!

Yay! I hope your husband adjusts as easily as can be expected and you get lots of sleep-ins!

I'm lucky that the boys are *finally* getting to the age where I can let them get up on weekends without me, although it does often become a choice between the extra sleep and when I can put up with them destroying.

My laptop is missing several keys that would still be there if I hadn't decided the youngest one would be ok watching tv with his brothers supervising

LOL my computer is almost destroyed thanks to their fascination with it. The things I've had to try to fix..That I had no idea the computer could even do.

Last night, 2yr old was up screaming from 11:30 to 5am - I don't know what his problem was..he is perfectly happy atm.

Given that I stayed up till 11 reading ADWD (and paying for it now.) I didn't get much sleep. I heard 7yr old get up at 5:30. So I went out and turned on the heater and got him something to eat and decided he would be fine if I crawled back into bed for just a little while. thinking everything is dead bolted and that I'd hear it if something happened.

I get up about 45mins later. And 7yr old is laying on his bean bag watching cartoons. Only now he has a huge lump on his head and a bruise that goes across the bump and down the side of his face.

He won't let me near him and when I tried to find out what happened he went and shut himself in his room. I still can't get anything out of him.

Nothing is broken or out of place. So I can only conclude that he fell and hit his head and is embarrassed about it.

God the guilt is crushing me.

Wow, that's great news saurian :thumbsup:. Hope he settles back in OK.

Thanks Pax :D me too.

@ Warg Arry; thank your husband for us.

Thank you Curethan. I will and it means a lot. Cheers

And WA, congrats at getting hubby home soon. It's a big deal the sacrifices your family has made and (at least in North America) there is little information about countries serving in Afghanistan except the US. (Frankly, I don't think the US even knows Canada's there) :thumbsdown:

Yay, I love it when you come in here Sal. Thanks for the Grats.

Husband was telling me that he was learning to speak french (?) from I think someone serving from Canada. And Dutch from someone else from Holland (I think..Our phone calls are short and there is a lot he isn't allowed to say over the phone or on the net.) I was also sending him Tim Tams because he was using them to exchange for some medical supplies or trade of souvenirs from other countries. So I'm guessing there were quite a few different countries serving in the same area.

Warg Arry, so glad your husband's home soon! I can't imagine what you are all going through. My cousin was over there recently, too, and that was hard enough, the fact that you went through it with your significant other gone and you have children! I am seriously amazed, and I wish you all the best.

Awww Flit Thank you :grouphug:

There have been tough days. Like when I was so sick I could barely move. And my 2yr old sat next to me stroking my hair and saying "aww mumma" as i was shivering under a blanket. You know your in a bad place when your toddler is taking care of you. lol

But I think I got the better end of the deal by far. :D

I've definitely gained a whole new level of respect for the single mums and dads doing it solo 24/7.

@Vrana

Hey :D I'm sure you are an experienced Hitcher just be aware (if your not already) That there are some issues with hitching here. People have been less likely to pick up a hitch hiker since the event of the hitch hiker murders some years ago. Ivan Milat was caught..but there is a residual stigma that may make your journey more frustrating and time consuming.

also there is the question of legality.

a quote from Hitchhiking in Australia

Is it legal?

Hitchhiking is illegal in Queensland and Victoria. The law basically says that you cannot stand on a roadway (including the shoulder) where you may obstruct traffic. However this interpretation of the law suggests that it is OK to hitch from a footpath or the grassy area beside the road.

Elsewhere in Australia it is illegal to hitchhike on motorways (where pedestrians are prohibited and where cars are not allowed to stop). Find a safe spot before a motorway entrance and hitch from there.

Also I thought I'd put in a rec for diving on the reef..Cairns is a great destination.

But for what you are looking for (from what I got from your post..sorry lack of sleep = poor reading comprehension)

Bundaberg.

Diving on the reef

Also between Canberra and Bundaberg The approximately estimated travel/road distance can be around 1380.67 km to 1500.72 km

Where as Cairns and Canberra The approximately estimated travel/road distance can be around 2379.57 km to 2586.49 km

So that might help if time is a consideration.

Hope that helps. :cheers:

Nothing is broken or out of place. So I can only conclude that he fell and hit his head and is embarrassed about it.

God the guilt is crushing me.

My 2 year old is out with Daddy at the moment but if it will help with the guilt when he gets back I will take a photo of his face for you. I really have no idea what happened to him but he looks terrible. I came inside from hanging clothes on the line yesterday and all three of the boys claim he fell off the bed, I just cannot imagine how he could get that messed up just from a fall unless he landed on a rake - which I don't typically allow in the bedrooms.

@Vrana

I wouldn't risk hitching out here, I really wouldn't. To get to Canberra from Sydney you have to go past one of the more notorious spots for disappearing backpackers. And between Mackay and Brisbane is isn't nice, too. A lot of 'weird' things happen on the Bruce HWY, missing people the least of it. We're not like most other countries, there is a lot of dead space between towns.

5 days might be possible, but I'm looking at a road trip Cairns from Brisbane in 7 days and that's going to be a push. If you manage to find a few long haul truckers you might have a chance. But ever since Ivan Milat, you rarely see hitchers on the roads anymore, and drivers are less likely to pick people up. When I was a kid we used to see hitchers on the roads all the time, and they used to stop in on our farm from time to time. We had to put a Vicious Dogs sign up, it was such a stupid risk. But not anymore. I don't think I've seen one since '94-'96.

Honestly, save your time and money and book a flight at the least, maybe even catch a train, though that could end up costing you more.

My 2 year old is out with Daddy at the moment but if it will help with the guilt when he gets back I will take a photo of his face for you. I really have no idea what happened to him but he looks terrible. I came inside from hanging clothes on the line yesterday and all three of the boys claim he fell off the bed, I just cannot imagine how he could get that messed up just from a fall unless he landed on a rake - which I don't typically allow in the bedrooms.

You're right. I know it happens. I Just feel selfish for being asleep while it happened.

I wonder what your baby boy fell on. I know it doesn't take that much to do decent damage to themselves.

So, I was wondering. Does your 2 yr old wake up and scream all night?

I think it might be that he is cutting his 2yr old molars. He doesn't have a temp or anything that might indicate an infection. But he is red cheeked and chewing on lots of things.

Are you dealing with anything similar?

Vrana, I will also add to the "Hitchhiking is a bad idea in Australia" crowd. Specially in such a tight schedule. While 10 days is plenty of time, I highly doubt it's enough for a hitchhike and back. Even if you do find a ride, I suspect you will have plenty of downtime between each hikes since very few vehicles actually do interstate travels.

Also, depending on the type of diving you're planning to do, you actually have to get some training, though I think it may only be for deep water dives. Not quite sure.

Vrana, I echo the sentiments about not hitch-hiking, I really wouldn't do it. Also whomever helped Ivan Milat is still at large. Plus all the other creepos you don't know about. Getting to Cairns and back driving in 10 days is really stretching it, it's a long long way and won't give you much time at your destination, besides missing all the great places that you're driving past. Bundaberg might not be a bad option considering it's at the very southern end of the Great Barrier Reef, I've been to Lady Elliot Island which is off the coast of Bundy but you need to fly there from either Hervey Bay or Bundy (also I think from Maroochydore and Brisbane). Hervey Bay will be full of whales at the moment which would be great to see. Lady Elliot has some awesome dive spots plus you're likely to see Manta rays. I so want to go back to Lady Elliot, it's an awesome little spot :)

Anybody, I finished ADwD, luckily for me I've been off work sick, I was coughing all day and night for 10 days straight, but not too sick to read Dance :D

@Rinzy: I reckon it's season over if we lose tonight. As for last year's Swan Districts premiership, I admit that it may have been a fluke...

So once again I didn't get to watch the game because of work, and once again it seems like it was a good thing :huh: We seem to have had quite a few goalless quarters lately. Our chances of still being in the eight come finals is rapidly diminishing.

I'm inclined to agree that Swan Districts premiership was a fluke :P

So, I was wondering. Does your 2 yr old wake up and scream all night?

I think it might be that he is cutting his 2yr old molars. He doesn't have a temp or anything that might indicate an infection. But he is red cheeked and chewing on lots of things.

Are you dealing with anything similar?

He is a crap sleeper and does tend to wake up screaming and have to be calmed down but nothing like it sounds you're going through. I can usually get him back to sleep after I run through his checklist of things he wants to make me do at 3am 'drink of water, put my blankets back on me, where are my cars? My monkey fell off the bed, I want to pat the cat, show me the boys are still in bed because I'm convinced they are up partying without me, change my nappy, get into bed with me' *sigh*

It does sound like teething though, have you tried a bit of panadol before bed? It probably couldn't hurt and going through that every night can't be good for either one of you.

Stupid Williamstown :tantrum:

At least West Perth lost, which means Claremont's still only a game behind them.

I clearly need to pay more attention to things outside of footy :leaving:

He is a crap sleeper and does tend to wake up screaming and have to be calmed down but nothing like it sounds you're going through. I can usually get him back to sleep after I run through his checklist of things he wants to make me do at 3am 'drink of water, put my blankets back on me, where are my cars? My monkey fell off the bed, I want to pat the cat, show me the boys are still in bed because I'm convinced they are up partying without me, change my nappy, get into bed with me' *sigh*

It does sound like teething though, have you tried a bit of panadol before bed? It probably couldn't hurt and going through that every night can't be good for either one of you.

Lol that sounds a bit like my terrible 2.

gave him some panadol, bonjela..and started him on infants friend this afternoon.

*fingers crossed*

Sleep for me..good luck with your night.

Yeah Baby...Full Night Sleep!

Feel a little giddy with all this extra energy.

Good things to do with lots of energy:

• Breakdancing
  • Find out what you stashed in all those boxes in the shed
  • Go for a stroll through a flea market
  • [censored]
  • See if you can hit 100 posts in one day. In the book threads
  • Chase the 2-year old around until you are guaranteed another full night's sleep

:P

In the meantime, seems I missed your hubby news - good to hear and I, like others, thank him for his efforts.

For Mr Saurian: Onya Digger.

@Vrana: I know you're a tough cookie (I'm still in awe of you hitch-hiking from Burkina Faso to Ireland for Octocon :wideeyed:), but I'm inclined to echo the sentiments of the others re:hitch-hiking in Australia. Hope you enjoy the Aussie trip though - keep us posted as to what you're up to.

@saurian: Glad you got a good night's sleep in!

@brook: I wonder whether your two year old shares your weakness for red wine and scored the phantom injury while drunkenly stumbling around the house?

I clearly need to pay more attention to things outside of footy :leaving:

Haha, no we wouldn't want you any other way Rinzy :thumbsup:.

P.S. Has anyone seen or heard from Gryph lately?

Archived