I cant understand : Theon Vs Bran

Ricara

He knows the heads are not Bran's and Rickon's. I think the reveal of what happened may not have occurred until the 3rd book, so I won't spoil it for you. That being said, if you go back and read the last part of the chapter where Theon is hunting the runaway Starks and Reeds, you should be able to puzzle it out.

Who theon killed thinking it was Bran?

Why didnt he recognized that it was not Bran heads?

Am i suposse to know the answers after the final of ACoK?

Eh, by the end of ACoK you should understand what happened there, i think.

Basically, it was another act of desperation by Theon.

I did not pick up on this at all. Maester Lewin didn't even know until he saw them when he was dying and realised that the boy who was supposed to be Bran had muscular legs. It never occurred to me that Theon knew it wasn't them, but of course, it makes sense now that it has been brought to my attention! I'm about a third way through SoS and still dont know what has happened to Theon and Winterfell.....

I did not pick up on this at all. Maester Lewin didn't even know until he saw them when he was dying and realised that the boy who was supposed to be Bran had muscular legs. It never occurred to me that Theon knew it wasn't them, but of course, it makes sense now that it has been brought to my attention! I'm about a third way through SoS and still dont know what has happened to Theon and Winterfell.....

You won't know the full story until ADWD.

I am on SoS, but I don't understand what Reek/Ramsay shows Theon. It was a pin with a wolf's head if I remember correctly, but why does that make Theon say he knows where Bran and Rickon are?

I understand he wanted to make the people think he caught and killed them, but what was the point of what "Reek" showed him?

I am on SoS, but I don't understand what Reek/Ramsay shows Theon. It was a pin with a wolf's head if I remember correctly, but why does that make Theon say he knows where Bran and Rickon are?

I understand he wanted to make the people think he caught and killed them, but what was the point of what "Reek" showed him?

I believe the purpose of the pin was so that it could be placed on the dead, flayed corpses of the miller boys so that they would appear to be Bran and Rickon.

I believe the purpose of the pin was so that it could be placed on the dead, flayed corpses of the miller boys so that they would appear to be Bran and Rickon.

Oh that makes sense! Thanks a lot. That's been bugging me for a while.

Oh that makes sense! Thanks a lot. That's been bugging me for a while.

I agree with that. Also, if you go back to Theon's capter, the one when he wakes up from the nightmares, at the very end of it on the last paragraph he says "The millers boys had been of an age with Bran and Rickon...." if you keep on reading you will find the answer!

Thank you. Even after knowing what they did, I've still been trying to figure that out and now that it's pointed out, it's so simple. I was looking for a deeper meaning behind the pin.

• 3 weeks later...

My thought on my reading was that the pin suggested Rickon had been out playing by the river and dropped something accidentally which triggered in his mind that they were hiding at the nearest "safe house" in this case the mill. The murdering and mutilation of the Miller Boys was as much frustration of being wrong as just claiming the bodies were so. Thus why he worked so hard to make sure that there's no obvious way of identifying the bodies afterwards. If it was just saying "yeah here's the dead princes" he could've just chopped their heads off "as traitors to my rule" and stuck a pin on Stark coloured clothing.

• 2 months later...

I agree with that. Also, if you go back to Theon's capter, the one when he wakes up from the nightmares, at the very end of it on the last paragraph he says "The millers boys had been of an age with Bran and Rickon...." if you keep on reading you will find the answer!

Yes, from the Theon's chapter, it should be pretty clear, that he never found the Stark boys, so he sent his hunting party to Winterfell, then slew the miller's boys, and declared them to be Bran and Rickon. As far as I know, noone noticed, except for maester Luwyn. He noticed immediately, but kept the secret to himself, as it was obviously the safer thing to do, not only for him, but for boys also.

Also, I noticed one thing about Theon. Whilst in the book GoT he seemed to me as a very friendly, and loyal character, in the HBO show, I actually hated him. Treacherous smiles, manipulative talk, and such.

Yes, from the Theon's chapter, it should be pretty clear, that he never found the Stark boys, so he sent his hunting party to Winterfell, then slew the miller's boys, and declared them to be Bran and Rickon. As far as I know, noone noticed, except for maester Luwyn. He noticed immediately, but kept the secret to himself, as it was obviously the safer thing to do, not only for him, but for boys also.

Also, I noticed one thing about Theon. Whilst in the book GoT he seemed to me as a very friendly, and loyal character, in the HBO show, I actually hated him. Treacherous smiles, manipulative talk, and such.

The first thing you see Theon Greyjoy do in the book is kick Gared's head after he was executed. I didn't get the most friendly first impression.

The first thing you see Theon Greyjoy do in the book is kick Gared's head after he was executed. I didn't get the most friendly first impression.

To be honest, I did not remember that :-) Anyway I could definitely sense som kind of badness coming from him in the show. As if HBO was setting up his character for things to come.

I first watched the show, everything was new to me, so I was a little confused - did not perfectly realise who is who and the relations.

Then I read GoT. And then I re-watched the show, and was like "Wtf is with Theon? He sounds like some kind of traitor guy." That was BEFORE I read CoK :-)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm actually surprised so many people thought bran and rickon were dead... GRRM may kill of a lot of characters, but he wouldn't kill two main characters off screen

Also, at the end of the 2nd to last Theon chapter he pretty spells it out for you that the people of winterfell are stupid and fell for his lie

• 2 weeks later...

have not gotten this far yet in Clash of Kings but I really am starting to Hate Theon and all the Ironborn...just got through the chapter where Theon meets his Sister Asha...what an ugly ugly people they are...send them all to the Drowned God imo

have not gotten this far yet in Clash of Kings but I really am starting to Hate Theon and all the Ironborn...just got through the chapter where Theon meets his Sister Asha...what an ugly ugly people they are...send them all to the Drowned God imo

I spent most of ACOK hating Theon too. Haven't got as far as to what happens to him afterwards yet though.

I'm actually surprised so many people thought bran and rickon were dead... GRRM may kill of a lot of characters, but he wouldn't kill two main characters off screen Also, at the end of the 2nd to last Theon chapter he pretty spells it out for you that the people of winterfell are stupid and fell for his lie

Yeah, I also hadn't gotten it at first... had to go back and read the chapter after the hunting again! But as you said, he pretty much spells it out! I guess I was too angry! hehehe

"The miller's boys had been of an age with Bran and Rickon, alike in size and coloring, and once Reek had flayed the skin from their faces and dipped their heads in tar, it was easy to see familiar features in those misshapen lumps of rotting flesh. People were such fools. If we'd said they were rams' heads, they would have seen horns."

• 1 year later...

Archived