WTF, GRRM?!

Gandalf Lundgren

So yeah I read "RW" the other day and had a similar initial reaction. But the more I thought about it, the more I realised I would miss smaller characters like the Greatjon more than Cat and Robb. Cat has had this coming a long time, she's been utterly foolish in her grief and desire for revenge. By rights she should have been killed on the way to the Eyrie, thankfully she had a band of warriors who were strong enough to defeat the assailants. I felt bad for Robb cause he's only a young lad who's been thrown into this war but I haven't really had an emotional connection with him since book 1.

Still, an amazing scene. The little clues GRRM placed were marvellous, such as the musicians being awful and certain Frey characters being missing. I was completely sold by Walder Frey :dunce:

Edit: Regarding the scene being spoiled; firstly, I read a review of the ASOIAF calendar that said about the Robb picture, "I can't believe want happened to him!". That put a thought of his death in my mind but I wasn't 100% sure if, how or when. I then saw a picture of a mod for Medieval: Total War that included a picture of "Roose Bolton, King of North" which planted the idea of his betrayal in my mind. Both stupid, avoidable spoilers but the scene nonetheless came as quite a shock!

Here is another clue:

Walder Frey says "mayhaps" when he meets with Robb. Does that remind you of a certain game Frey children play?

I'm the only one who taught that those kinds of disasters is what make the books so beautiful?

I was shocked too when I read about the Red Wedding, but that's the good thing about GRRM, his heartless way of wiriting gives the history his beauty.

• 3 weeks later...

That is actually what makes most books, movies or series boring. That's why I love A Song of Ice and Fire so much.

THIS, exactly. Once Ned lost his head at the end of AGOT, I thought, ok GRRM, so this is how it is going to be... and took it as a challenge to continue. I was prepared a bit more for the red wedding. No one is safe in his world.

What hurt, and what actually had me close to putting the books down altogether was the red wedding plus the next chapter with Arya, she is my favorite POV character (tied with Tyrion). I get into books, but I don't usually let them affect me the way the combination of these (perceived) events did. Continuing to read on, as tough as it was, actually pays off.

Glad this thread exists, validates my anguish.

I'm the only one who taught that those kinds of disasters is what make the books so beautiful?

I was shocked too when I read about the Red Wedding, but that's the good thing about GRRM, his heartless way of wiriting gives the history his beauty.

I agree completely. The Red Wedding scene was awesome and very well done. Knowing that things like that can happen at any time is what, for me, makes the series so addictive.

This is the first fantasy series that I've read for a decade. Reading too much Terry Goodkind and, especially, Robert Jordan soured me on the genre as a teen. I spent too much time reading 700+ page tomes in which essentially nothing happened. I wasn't even planning on watching the Game of Thrones on HBO until my wife got me into it. I was hooked on the shows, watched each episode, and decided to give the books a shot. They have not disappointed me. I'm half way through AFFC and I'm loving them- mainly because GRRM writes interesting characters, creates a vivid world, and is not afraid to give his characters a harsh dose of reality.

Archived