[ADWD Spoilers]Question about a vision by Moqorro

Spring Bass

At the end of a Tyrion chapter, just after we find out what the Doom of Valyria was like, Moqorro mentions that he has seen "a tall and twisted thing, with one black eye and ten long arms, sailing on a sea of blood".

Who or what is he referring to?

At the end of a Tyrion chapter, just after we find out what the Doom of Valyria was like, Moqorro mentions that he has seen "a tall and twisted thing, with one black eye and ten long arms, sailing on a sea of blood".

Who or what is he referring to?

Euron Greyjoy. He has one crazy eye, krakens are really just giant squid (which have 10 tentacles total) and he's violent and a reaver.

Euron has two eyes- a 'smiling' eye, and the dangerous one. Wearing an eyepatch protected your vision going above or belowdecks, and if he has heterochromatic eyes, hiding them also makes him both more socially acceptable and more socially intimidating.

I was hoping it was red, rather than blue.

• 4 months later...

Yeah, this vision surely refers to Euron, and that's a good thing.

As I've stated in the "Road to the West" topic, Euron is surely the one who knows most of the world, a man full of science, knowledge and wits, and madness, too, I really want him to be well develloped in the future books, he's one of the characters with the greatest potential yet !

i also want eurons other eye to be red

So he's had magic surgury to get a greenseer's eye or something? Because if he'd grown up like that people like Vic would have noticed it and there'd be no reason to wear an eye patch. Must be a secret red eye. That's why Mocorro sees him watching, the way Melisandre sees Bloodraven watching her.

So he's had magic surgury to get a greenseer's eye or something? Because if he'd grown up like that people like Vic would have noticed it and there'd be no reason to wear an eye patch. Must be a secret red eye. That's why Mocorro sees him watching, the way Melisandre sees Bloodraven watching her.

Interesting Theory, but Euron was called 'crows eye' before he was exiled by Balon, else how would we know what to refer to him as pre-landing?

Also, the 'sea of blood' in Moqorro's vision is, IMO Euron's 'Silence' which is painted blood red, and is a vessel of the sea.

and i also want eurons other eye to be red

I'll throw out another possibility; maybe his other eye is blue... as in wight-blue?

Granted, I don't have any evidence to back this up, and I don't even know if it's possible, but that would definitely be a pretty major twist.

I wonder if it's possible for someone to slowly turn into a wight? Is death a prerequisite to becoming one, or can the Others also "infect" the living? Based on what we've read, it sounds like a pretty sudden transformation upon death, but what if someone was stabbed or cut by a White Walker ice-sword and lived to tell the tale? Would they be "infected" by whatever spell the Others are casting, or would it be no different than a wound received from a regular foe?

Granted, it seems likely someone, like Vic, or Balon, etc..., would've heard all about it if Euron had survived an encounter with a White Walker, but it's an interesting question nonetheless. Can White Walkers "infect" the living?

Euron's story is all about bravado and taking what he's after, so it fits better for Euron to go out and have himself magically augmented on purpose. (Not be a victim of an attack). On one of his earlier voyages let's say he forced some warlocks to do their hocus pocus and initiate him into the elite circle of whatever wizardry. It could have been the death magic of the Others, as you suggest. There's some "evidence" for it being seer magic, too. Above, someone mentioned that he was already known as "Crow's Eye" when he got banished. So he got it done early on. Then, when oldman Greyjoy died, that's how Euron knew to show up the next day as soon as it was safe to do so....... because he'd foreseen it!!!!!! This is very sexual. It means that he's not taking that much of a risk sending Victarion off unsupervised......... because he IS supervising everything!!!!

I'll throw out another possibility; maybe his other eye is blue... as in wight-blue?

Granted, I don't have any evidence to back this up, and I don't even know if it's possible, but that would definitely be a pretty major twist.

I wonder if it's possible for someone to slowly turn into a wight? Is death a prerequisite to becoming one, or can the Others also "infect" the living? Based on what we've read, it sounds like a pretty sudden transformation upon death, but what if someone was stabbed or cut by a White Walker ice-sword and lived to tell the tale? Would they be "infected" by whatever spell the Others are casting, or would it be no different than a wound received from a regular foe?

Granted, it seems likely someone, like Vic, or Balon, etc..., would've heard all about it if Euron had survived an encounter with a White Walker, but it's an interesting question nonetheless. Can White Walkers "infect" the living?

Is Euron notorious for having sailed the north? I know one of his bigger accomplishments is having sailed the smoking sea, so I think its more likely that he would have a fire related eye. I like the theory that maybe he stole a greenseers eye and had it transplanted in place of his own.

What type of magic do the undying use? Maybe whatever powers them powers his eye as well.

The idea that you can stall the effects of becoming a wight is intriguing. Maybe some type of Coldhands deal except not really full blown like him.

On a closely related note.......I have a lot of trouble figuring out Euron's likely role in the story to come. Victorian is going to Dany and will likely fold into her story arc. Theon is in the North. Where is Euron and do we all suspect he will die fighting Dany/trying to take her Dragons or is it likely he is up to something else. If he is appearing to Moquorro I would think (and do anyway) that his story is of importance yet.

@#13 - Wait, Euron foresaw Balon's death? Clearly he did seek out sorcerous aid in his travels, but I don't see any basis for assuming he had his body modified in this sort of way. I thought the go-to theory was that he'd hired a Faceless Man to do the deed, based on the Ghost of High Heart's (AKA Leaf's, mayhaps?) vision of a man with no face standing on a swaying bridge with a drowned crow on his shoulder, which came about right around the time of Balon's "fall". So Euron knew when it was safe to return to the Iron Islands because he himself had actually arranged for it to be so. That's always been my assumption, anyhow.

I don't see why Euron's other eye (not the smiling one) has to be magical or anything. He has his smiling eye, and the one he keeps covered (possibly missing, though why then would the other be the smiling one instead of the only one? Have we seen the other one, or heard anything about it that I have forgotten? Calling it his "dangerous" eye does sound familiar but I can't quite place the reference...) before he went into exile from what I recall. Also @BrainFireBob in #5, I am not sure what you mean by "Wearing an eyepatch protected your vision going above or belowdecks"...?

Anyhow, I agree - Moqorro's vision most likely refers to Euron. He seems the most likely Kraken to match that description anyhow, although not 100% - ie. eye colour is uncertain beneath the patch & possibly for the smiling eye also, plus I don't recall him being "twisted"... save perhaps morally.

Perhaps it will become more clear in TWoW.

So if Moqorro's vision is referencing Euron, what does it say about his role in the coming books?

Uhhh, I just love krakens, sorry. Must apologize for that up front. (Because the following Euron plot is heavily laden with kraken.)

I'd love to see Vic come back with dragon. Euron waits patiently for dragon delivery, as if Vic was just the UPS guy. Vic of course feels differently and tries to roast Euron with dragon. Euron has seen this in advance with funky eyeball. He summons kraken to pull Vic's dive-bombing dragon down into the deep before it can roast Euron's ship. Vic totally dies..... or does he????? (The whole Drowned God resurrection thing might happen for Vic, who knows). Word of this "hot kraken action" gets around Westeros and everyone freaks the fuck out. Except for that cool cat Damphair, who gets an idea. He and the Reader get together (the Reader gets to meet his hero Marwyn maybe too in a candle magic conference). They realize there's a way to steal the magic away from Euron and bestow mastery of the kraken upon the rightful king of the sea. Then Asha steps in with her plan to protest the kingsmoot and get Theon crowned. ......Then Euron responds by promptly killing Theon. (THANK ALL THE GODS!) So things look bleak for this plan.........until:

Asha is secretly crowned as the true queen of the sea lords. (She is the better sailor, compared to Theon, after all). She gets into a kraken calling contest with Euron, like when you and your little brother both tried to get the family dog to come to your call to see who the dog loved the most. And the kraken really is the greyjoy family dog. Asha seems like a huge underdog, though, because Euron has all the experience, all the mages, and all the magical equipment on his side and she's totally new to this shit. It's like when Rocky fought that Russian boxer who had all the state-of-the-art training equipment and all Rocky had was that old boxing coach barking at him in an outhouse. So you get the impression that Asha is on a fool's quest to avenge her brother and she's totally about to sink. But the family dog knows its true master and it rises up from the waves to lay the smackdown on Euron's boats. Euron gets totally tentacle slapped to hell! The kraken's been bound to the greyjoy family since way back, and it smelled greyjoy deep in Asha's bones, whereas Euron had only pollutants in his system and the stink of foreign magics. Godless magics, as the damphair would say.

Archived