[ADWD Spoilers]Question about a vision by Moqorro

Spring Bass

At the end of a Tyrion chapter, just after we find out what the Doom of Valyria was like, Moqorro mentions that he has seen "a tall and twisted thing, with one black eye and ten long arms, sailing on a sea of blood".

Who or what is he referring to?

This thread prompted me to do sign up here.

Maybe I'm thick, but my own reading led me to believe that Moqorro was talking about Bloodraven. He's one-eyed, and he may not sail, but he certainly is twisted ... roots could be tentacles could be ten long arms.

Bloodraven's eye is supposedly red (he's an albino according to the wiki), but calling it "one black eye" is as metaphorical as any of the ideas put forth in this thread. Any by all means, shoot this down if it's already been discussed; i didn't see this theory put forth after searching the forum.

BTW, awesome forum.

At the end of a Tyrion chapter, just after we find out what the Doom of Valyria was like, Moqorro mentions that he has seen "a tall and twisted thing, with one black eye and ten long arms, sailing on a sea of blood".

Euron. One black eye. Ten long arms (a kraken). Sea of blood (Euron being a pillager).

ETA: Hahahaha I already answered this last summer.

When Victarion pulled Maguro aboard after finding him floating on a patch of flotsam ten days lost at sea, the IroniSlander never thought to check just what it was the mighty tuna-warg had been resting on. If he had, he would have discovered a thin veneer of fiery wasabi, now faded to ochre jelly. Not only did the ochre ointment nourish and sustain the ichthyomancer in the midst of water water everywhere and not a drop to drink, of still greater importance to Maguro was the turquoise veil it placed between his body and the hungering horrors below. For æons uncounted the teuthidic foe has preyed upon Maguro’s people, and this was the twisted terror that ever haunts the piscimage’s visions. Maguro can never rest easy so long as he is within a mile of the open sea, lest His Teuthidicity Himself should extend his questing tentacles up from that drowned cyclopean tomb where dead he lies dreaming, and make a tasty hors d’œuvre out of Maguro and all who travel with him, dipped gingerly in soy sauce, and followed up with bone-dry sake. Bon appétit!

He's something that has stuck with me regarding Euron. When he calls Vic up to his room to talk about Dany and the dragons. He says he needs a bride worthy of him. I thought it was weird that he would slip into the third person there. So maybe Euron wants Dany for something else?

• 6 months later...

While reading this I had a thought that I forgot about until just now.

This is probably completely off, and everyones' interpretation of Moqorro's vision being about Euron is probably correct. There probably isn't supposed to be some puzzle to work out in this one like the AA and TPTWP quotes seem to have. However, when I read this in the book, I for some reason wasn't even thinking about Euron.

To me, when I first read this, one eye and ten arms made me think of Bloodraven. I'm pretty sure I remember when Bran first met him there was a root or something growing through one of his eyes, and the arms would obviously be his roots. Sailing on a sea of blood is a bit of a stretch, as far as I can tell, but hell his nicknames Bloodraven so who knows.

Anyway, the quote is probably referring to the more obvious Euron, but still a lot of people seem to dissect every little line in the book for double meanings and foreshadowing, so I was just wondering if anyone else had considered this idea and what other people thought.

I think Moquorro's visions are pretty straightforward at least in who they refer to. I think as mentioned above the "Theon" sample chapter should remove all doubt that this is Euron; My question is with his last statement.

"and you... a little man with a big shadow, snarling in the midst of it all"

Or something, Iike that (sorry no book available) WTF is that, obviously Tyrion will play an important role here.

I haven't read the tWoW chapter, can't seem to get myself to read something taken from the middle of the book. Still, yours isn't the first post I've read saying that that chapter proves Moqorro is talking about Euron.

And I just noticed that post at the top of this page saying exactly what I just said in my post.. fuck me

Well we should remember that the sample chapters are subject to change before publishing (i.e. Illyrio and Tyrion sample ch for ADWD). I know the "black eye shining with malice" is not likely to get changed but figured I'd throw that out there so we can take sample ch. info with a grain of salt.

I know that there was some speculation on the forums about Euron having some kind of greenseer/dreamer ability. When he is talking with Vic (I think) doesn't he describe a dream of flying, maybe to the Land of Always Winter. I can't remember what thread it was but I know it was discussed.

At first I was thinking Longship w/ arms as oars....

But squid as Euron Greyjoy is probably closer to the mark.

So Red Rollo doesn't like Euron.... Yet Aeron Damphair tells us Euron is not a godly man (with regard to Drowned God) .... Interesting.

• 6 months later...

Ok so when I first read ADwD, I immediately had the impression of Euron when I read this chapter. On my third read through today, I noticed something that got me to thinking differently.

A good portion of this Tyrion chapter is devoted to his chats with Moqorro, On one such chat, Moqorro addresses as follows:

“Someone told me that the night is dark and full of terrors. What do you see in those flames?” “Dragons,” Moqorro said in the Common Tongue of Westeros. He spoke it very well, with hardly a trace of accent. No doubt that was one reason the high priest Benerro had chosen him to bring the faith of R’hllor to Daenerys Targaryen. “Dragons old and young, true and false, bright and dark. And you. A small man with a big shadow, snarling in the midst of all.”

Martin, George R.R. (2011-07-12). A Dance with Dragons: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Five (p. 436). Bantam. Kindle Edition.

and then later of course comes the quote that this thread addresses:

them. “Have you seen these others in your fires?” he asked, warily. “Only their shadows,” Moqorro said. “One most of all. A tall and twisted thing with one black eye and ten long arms, sailing on a sea of blood.”

Martin, George R.R. (2011-07-12). A Dance with Dragons: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Five (p. 447). Bantam. Kindle Edition.

So, is it just a coincidence that Moqorro refers to Tyrion as a" small man with a big shadow snarling in the midst of it all"??

Is it further a coincidence that Tyrion is often referred to as "twisted" or having a "twisted body"??

How about this.....Tyrion has mis-matched eyes, does he not, and one of those eyes is BLACK.''

Also, Tyrion has been referred to more than once as a small man who casts a big shadow.

Soooo, MY theory is that Moqorro is referring to Tyrion, who even though he is small, would have a big shadow. Tyrion who's shadow would be "twisted", because he, as a dwarf, is "twisted". Tyrion who has one black eye. Tyrion......

The question is, is this a good prophecy or a bad one? Moqorro seems quite amiable towards Tyrion, even addressing him as "My friend" so it strikes me that the part Tyrion has to play would be a positive one, at least where Moqorro is concerned.

Ok so when I first read ADwD, I immediately had the impression of Euron when I read this chapter. On my third read through today, I noticed something that got me to thinking differently.

A good portion of this Tyrion chapter is devoted to his chats with Moqorro, On one such chat, Moqorro addresses as follows:

“Someone told me that the night is dark and full of terrors. What do you see in those flames?” “Dragons,” Moqorro said in the Common Tongue of Westeros. He spoke it very well, with hardly a trace of accent. No doubt that was one reason the high priest Benerro had chosen him to bring the faith of R’hllor to Daenerys Targaryen. “Dragons old and young, true and false, bright and dark. And you. A small man with a big shadow, snarling in the midst of all.”

Martin, George R.R. (2011-07-12). A Dance with Dragons: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Five (p. 436). Bantam. Kindle Edition.

them. “Have you seen these others in your fires?” he asked, warily. “Only their shadows,” Moqorro said. “One most of all. A tall and twisted thing with one black eye and ten long arms, sailing on a sea of blood.”

Martin, George R.R. (2011-07-12). A Dance with Dragons: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Five (p. 447). Bantam. Kindle Edition.

So, is it just a coincidence that Moqorro refers to Tyrion as a" small man with a big shadow snarling in the midst of it all"??

Is it further a coincidence that Tyrion is often referred to as "twisted" or having a "twisted body"??

How about this.....Tyrion has mis-matched eyes, does he not, and one of those eyes is BLACK.''

Also, Tyrion has been referred to more than once as a small man who casts a big shadow.

Soooo, MY theory is that Moqorro is referring to Tyrion, who even though he is small, would have a big shadow. Tyrion who's shadow would be "twisted", because he, as a dwarf, is "twisted". Tyrion who has one black eye. Tyrion......

The question is, is this a good prophecy or a bad one? Moqorro seems quite amiable towards Tyrion, even addressing him as "My friend" so it strikes me that the part Tyrion has to play would be a positive one, at least where Moqorro is concerned.

er-m .....what about the ten long arms? even If we are being metaphorical, Tyrion has only five "arms"

Uhhh, I just love krakens, sorry. Must apologize for that up front. (Because the following Euron plot is heavily laden with kraken.)

I'd love to see Vic come back with dragon. Euron waits patiently for dragon delivery, as if Vic was just the UPS guy. Vic of course feels differently and tries to roast Euron with dragon. Euron has seen this in advance with funky eyeball. He summons kraken to pull Vic's dive-bombing dragon down into the deep before it can roast Euron's ship. Vic totally dies..... or does he????? (The whole Drowned God resurrection thing might happen for Vic, who knows). Word of this "hot kraken action" gets around Westeros and everyone freaks the fuck out. Except for that cool cat Damphair, who gets an idea. He and the Reader get together (the Reader gets to meet his hero Marwyn maybe too in a candle magic conference). They realize there's a way to steal the magic away from Euron and bestow mastery of the kraken upon the rightful king of the sea. Then Asha steps in with her plan to protest the kingsmoot and get Theon crowned. ......Then Euron responds by promptly killing Theon. (THANK ALL THE GODS!) So things look bleak for this plan.........until:

Asha is secretly crowned as the true queen of the sea lords. (She is the better sailor, compared to Theon, after all). She gets into a kraken calling contest with Euron, like when you and your little brother both tried to get the family dog to come to your call to see who the dog loved the most. And the kraken really is the greyjoy family dog. Asha seems like a huge underdog, though, because Euron has all the experience, all the mages, and all the magical equipment on his side and she's totally new to this shit. It's like when Rocky fought that Russian boxer who had all the state-of-the-art training equipment and all Rocky had was that old boxing coach barking at him in an outhouse. So you get the impression that Asha is on a fool's quest to avenge her brother and she's totally about to sink. But the family dog knows its true master and it rises up from the waves to lay the smackdown on Euron's boats. Euron gets totally tentacle slapped to hell! The kraken's been bound to the greyjoy family since way back, and it smelled greyjoy deep in Asha's bones, whereas Euron had only pollutants in his system and the stink of foreign magics. Godless magics, as the damphair would say.

I absolutely love this !

When Victarion pulled Maguro aboard after finding him floating on a patch of flotsam ten days lost at sea, the IroniSlander never thought to check just what it was the mighty tuna-warg had been resting on. If he had, he would have discovered a thin veneer of fiery wasabi, now faded to ochre jelly. Not only did the ochre ointment nourish and sustain the ichthyomancer in the midst of water water everywhere and not a drop to drink, of still greater importance to Maguro was the turquoise veil it placed between his body and the hungering horrors below. For æons uncounted the teuthidic foe has preyed upon Maguro’s people, and this was the twisted terror that ever haunts the piscimage’s visions. Maguro can never rest easy so long as he is within a mile of the open sea, lest His Teuthidicity Himself should extend his questing tentacles up from that drowned cyclopean tomb where dead he lies dreaming, and make a tasty hors d’½uvre out of Maguro and all who travel with him, dipped gingerly in soy sauce, and followed up with bone-dry sake. Bon appétit!

Deeeeeliciously written :D

I totally agree with this - though I too haven't quite figured out the "10 arms" in relation to Tyrion either... My basis is much like yours, focusing on the "black" eye and "twisted" body which Tyrion is known most of all to have. I'm going to look into the 10 arms further.

Not to discredit the Euron Greyjoy theory - it is most likely. Regardless I look forward to more Vic/Euron plot line, there is so much more coming for them.

Archived