The Red Viper....

Gandalf Lundgren

So whose head is in the onyx box?

This is the thing, though - who says the undead Gregor even has to have a head? It's a reanimated body. Besides, wights seem to do just fine without a head - why can't a corpse brought back by Qyburn's dark sorcery?

But, that does not mean I dismiss the theory that Cersei sent Dorne one of the dwarves heads. That's entirely, totally and completely plausible. I suppose time will tell, though!

This is the thing, though - who says the undead Gregor even has to have a head? It's a reanimated body. Besides, wights seem to do just fine without a head - why can't a corpse brought back by Qyburn's dark sorcery?

But, that does not mean I dismiss the theory that Cersei sent Dorne one of the dwarves heads. That's entirely, totally and completely plausible. I suppose time will tell, though!

I believe it's primarily due to the fact that Ser Robert is meant to masquerade as a human. Nobody really believes it, but if he was too farcically undead, then someone would call it out sooner than later. So, there needs must be a head.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I have just read the duel between the Red Viper and the Mountain, and i knew the whole way through it was too easy. But the point of my post was how cleverly, from my POV, GRRM managed to get the Red Viper in front of the guy he wanted to fight the whole time. I am sure GRRM has a giant game board somewhere where each characters moves are plotted out and decided on the roll of a die. I know he is a big gaming fan.

• 5 weeks later...

Yeah the viper was one of those "greatest characters we never knew." I was very sad to see him go, I definately wanted a POV with him in the next book. Of course, his death sets up the next book pretty well, its just too bad we had to sacrifice Oberyn to get there.

He kept his cool the entire time, even unsettling the mountain enough to get him to open his mouth (a rarity) and "confess" (you can barely call it that, it was more of a boast.) I dont know what the viper was thinking, was he really trying to become a martyr? After all the brutal deaths in his family, you'd think he would want to spare them more grief. He had the mountain, on the ground, but you had to know Gregor was still dangerous, why straddle him like that? At least incapacitate his limbs or something... Oberyn had a full hand but he blew it by letting his emotions get in the way at the least necessary time.

• 5 months later...

I really liked the Red Viper and was sad to see him die...though I must admit I knew it was going to happen as soon as he offered to fight for Tyrion. Gregor Clegane is only going to be killed by the hound...it is fitting and proper and we all know it will happen someday, so I just knew it had to go badly for the Viper:(

QFT^

And Tyrion should have known better also, why put your faith in a guy that has nothing to lose. The Red Viper knew Tywin was never going to hand over Gregor, and Tyrion knew the outcome, and theory of the duel between Oberyn and Lord Yronwood. Tyrion should know all The Red Viper wanted was a opportunity to extract his revenge, and make sure that Gregor was crapping and vomiting blood until the end of his miserable existences. Yeah, I am sure Oberyn didn't want to die, but if he did as long as Clegane followed him it was worth it.

What I would like to know is, did The Red Viper have a hand in poisoning Joffery? What he said to Tyrion seemed vague and more of usual suspect banter; but with Littlefinger, nothing is beyond the Realm of happening.

Granted I am only up to the part where The Red Viper came to visit, and Jaime chapter afterwards.

• 2 weeks later...

What I would like to know is, did The Red Viper have a hand in poisoning Joffery? What he said to Tyrion seemed vague and more of usual suspect banter; but with Littlefinger, nothing is beyond the Realm of happening.

Expect the unexpected with GRRM! Everything is possible really, but I don't think Oberyn took part in the poisoning.

I personally thought Oberyn would be an important character in the future but... Oh well, at least he got his revenge...

Archived