[ADWD SPOILERS] Small Questions

Tony Rigatoni

wouldn' t the others know if it was ficticious or not better than anyone?

or even the chidren of the forest because of the greenseer ability?

I mean it is the strongest weapon that we know against the wall, everyone should try to find it...

Yes. Which would explain why they (seemingly) haven't bothered to look for it.

Yes. Which would explain why they (seemingly) haven't bothered to look for it.

so basically you think the horn doesn t have any power?

I think it is one of the few explanations...

the only othe i can think is that the children of the forest have got to the horn earlier and hide it somewhere where the others can t go, or just destroied it... however I think there would be a army of wights trying to kill any children of the forest that left their cave on the quest for the horn...

honestly after the emphasize on the horn i would be desapointed if it was useless and if it useful i would be intrigued why the others didn t had it...

Here is a small question: How did Arya end up killing that boat insurance guy she was sent to kill? I didn't quite follow it. She cut open some guys money bag, ran away and then.... she was back at the temple talking with the old guy. What did I miss?

Well from what I understand, Arya observed that the Old Man always bites the Coins to check if they are Original. She also visited that Poison Lady the night before the Assassination. So, I think she laced that coin with some sort of "Heart-Attack inducing" poison and so, when he tasted the coin, it was his end.

If the others want to pass through the wall and the horn of joramund was on their side of the wall why couldn' t thy find it in the thousands of years they had to search?? isn' t it the first thing that they should do?

or why haven' t the NW tried to find it either? I don' t recall the history of the horn but why haven t some wildling thought of it earlier or anyonte of joramunds time used it? (i don t remember who was joramund so i m sorry if i am saying something reaaly stupid)

This assumes a lot of things.

1. The horn ever existed

2. The horn actually has the power to blow the wall down

3. The horn still exists somewhere today, was never destroyed

4. If it does exist, the horn is still north of The Wall

5. The Others know about the horn

6. The Others know where to look

7. The Others have the mental capacity and societal structure to organize searches

8. The Others have been active for the past few thousand years rather than dormant/sleeping

I think the two biggest problems with the horn-Others connection is that how would they even know about it or where to look, and the fact that they seem to have just woken up recently. Plus the North is a BIG place, it goes past the map to the 'lands of always winter' and could be the size of a whole other continent up there. Finding the horn wouldn't be a slam dunk, and even if they did who knows if it would actually even work?

Well from what I understand, Arya observed that the Old Man always bites the Coins to check if they are Original. She also visited that Poison Lady the night before the Assassination. So, I think she laced that coin with some sort of "Heart-Attack inducing" poison and so, when he tasted the coin, it was his end.

On my read I thought that it was a heart attack, from the gently man saying: "His hearth exploded" I and thought that it was a it of a stretch.

But now reading this I see that she poisoned the guy, she said that she would get help from the waif. it make more sense...

so basically you think the horn doesn t have any power?

I think it is one of the few explanations...

the only othe i can think is that the children of the forest have got to the horn earlier and hide it somewhere where the others can t go, or just destroied it... however I think there would be a army of wights trying to kill any children of the forest that left their cave on the quest for the horn...

honestly after the emphasize on the horn i would be desapointed if it was useless and if it useful i would be intrigued why the others didn t had it...

Well this is possible. Remember Jon did find a horn with the dragonglass and a black cloak. But that horn is now with Sam in Oldtown. If that is the horn to bring down the Wall being on the other end of the continent might have an effect.

Personally, even though I believe the Wall will fall, I am not sure I want some mythical horn to be the cause of it. I think rather the ineptitude of the Night's Watch and their new Lord Commander would be a better way.

Well this is possible. Remember Jon did find a horn with the dragonglass and a black cloak. But that horn is now with Sam in Oldtown. If that is the horn to bring down the Wall being on the other end of the continent might have an effect.

Personally, even though I believe the Wall will fall, I am not sure I want some mythical horn to be the cause of it. I think rather the ineptitude of the Night's Watch and their new Lord Commander would be a better way.

I thought about that horn and started to notice somethings

every time the wights attacked on the other side of the wall that horn was present!

neither the wildlings, jon, the NW groups formed to go explore and find the wildlings nor any other member of the NW (afters craster's where sam got separated from the others) were attacked by wights

coldhands saved sam! I mean he doesn t seem the kind of pearson to give some importance to a fat guy(sam) a wildling and crasters son...

So as the only character (or one of the very few...) that we know that might have left the horn and the dragonglass to jon to find ( the hole where those things were seemed pretty recent) was coldhands I am starting to think that CH broke the horn (when jon finds it the horn is broken) and keeps part of it with himself and wants the other part to be on the other side of the wall wich explains why he needed to save sam

honestly the much I think about it more I am convinced that the horn will be important and can be used against the wall or the others (somehow) therefore it hasn t been destroied... also wouldn t surprise me if those two first wights weren t just trying to kill the LC... if the others have been so carefull about their atttacs there must be something more that made them alert the NW of their presence...

Um. I thought the coin was poisoned and the guy died after tasting it. Ironic, since it's pretty much the same way the Alchemist killed Pate back in AFFC.

yes, poison coin. The text made a big deal of the guy's habit of biting into every coin he was paid.

I have a small question that I may start a thread for when the forum activity slows down a bit. That ridiculous marriage made for Asha when the seal stands in her place. She seems to accept it as legitimate. I find that very odd. Is this marriage legal? Does she need to seek an annulment for it or kill the husband to be free of it? How does this work across the rest of the continent? Can Willas Tyrell take a shine to the idea of marrying Arianne Martell and purchase a seal as a stand-in bride? What about Walder Frey, why doesn't he start marrying his brood off by seal?

That Euron did it; haha. But I am rather perplexed that Asha seems to take it seriously when she spoke no vows, was not present, and a seal stood in her place.

I have a small question that I may start a thread for when the forum activity slows down a bit. That ridiculous marriage made for Asha when the seal stands in her place. She seems to accept it as legitimate. I find that very odd. Is this marriage legal? Does she need to seek an annulment for it or kill the husband to be free of it? How does this work across the rest of the continent? Can Willas Tyrell take a shine to the idea of marrying Arianne Martell and purchase a seal as a stand-in bride? What about Walder Frey, why doesn't he start marrying his brood off by seal?

That Euron did it; haha. But I am rather perplexed that Asha seems to take it seriously when she spoke no vows, was not present, and a seal stood in her place.

I think it's just an ironborn thing, but I have to admit I thought about it in regards to "Arya's" marriage

Well, as Asha's liege lord (and king), I'm sure he can marry her off by decree. Now, the question is, could Hoster Tully have married off the Blackfish by seal (or trout), or could Joffrey have married Sansa to Tyrion by seal (or wolf) if she refused to say the vows?

Sansa tells us during one chapter that even the High Septon cannot marry a girl off if she does not say the vows. The woman's consent is apparently required by marriages through the Seven, just as with the Catholic Church. Now, that doesn't mean that girls cannot be forced to marry anyway (look up Marguerite d'Valois for an example of how it worked in real life) but nobody can get away with effin' seals!

I could see Euron doing it and Asha getting a chuckle out of it afterwards. But she seems to think that she is really married!

Sansa tells us during one chapter that even the High Septon cannot marry a girl off if she does not say the vows. The woman's consent is apparently required by marriages through the Seven, just as with the Catholic Church. Now, that doesn't mean that girls cannot be forced to marry anyway (look up Marguerite d'Valois for an example of how it worked in real life) but nobody can get away with effin' seals!

I could see Euron doing it and Asha getting a chuckle out of it afterwards. But she seems to think that she is really married!

But the ironborn don't believe in the seven. They believe in the Drowned God

(look up Marguerite d'Valois for an example of how it worked in real life)

i see a mention to an arranged marriage, pretty much the norm back then, no mention of swords or seals.

i see a mention to an arranged marriage, pretty much the norm back then, no mention of swords or seals.

Haha. I was talking about consent. She clamped her mouth shut and refused to voice any consent (which is and was required by the Church for a marriage) and her brother (the King) shook her head in a nod that was creatively interpreted as assent. If you are looking for swords, however, her family proceeded to slaughter all the wedding guests shortly thereafter.

Alas, I know of no medieval marriages that involved seals but I implore the more knowledgeable boarders to enlighten me.

It's likely that, since Euron's supporters would view the marriage as valid, Asha is just being her pragmatic self. She generally thinks about the scenario when contemplating returning to the islands, at which point the marriage would essentially be forced upon her.

Does anyone know if there is a thread on Summerhall? The search feature isn't working and I would rather not scroll thru 34 pages of topics if I don't have to. I will if need be, but I first thought I'd see if anyone knows of one existing.. ?

Does anyone know if there is a thread on Summerhall? The search feature isn't working and I would rather not scroll thru 34 pages of topics if I don't have to. I will if need be, but I first thought I'd see if anyone knows of one existing.. ?

yes, there is; it's about 4 or 5 pages long; maybe last post was July 30/31

Archived