[ADWD SPOILERS] Small Questions

Tony Rigatoni

Re-submission of small questions: Why does Mel not burn Mance? I think she calls him the false king, why?

New small question: How does Wex manage to follow Osha+Rickson+Shaggydog all the way to (at the very least) the coast or to Skaggos without being detected? I find that he stayed downwind (upwind?) of them implausible.

For Asha's marriage, won't it not be recognized since it was not actually consummated?

Mayhaps he slept with the seal?

Re-submission of small questions: Why does Mel not burn Mance? I think she calls him the false king, why?

I think the question that raises, then, is Why did she kill rattleshirt?

Arya used a poisoned coin to kill the insurance guy? Won't that kill more than one person since money is always changing hands and people test gold by biting it.

The poison may not remain viable for long, and the coin will have more poison knocked off of it over time.

What about archmaester Marwin?

We know that he is on his way to Danaerys from AFFC but there is no mention of him in ADWD. Since everybody heading to Meeren reaches the destination or at least is on the good path, I was expecting a remark also related to him!

Any opinion?

Note, this is all conjecture because Mel never explains herself, but I think she saw Mance in her flames helping Jon Snow or doing something beneficial. However, Stannis would never allow him to live after all her talk of King's blood and Mance being a deserter of the NW, while Jon would loose all credibility if he allowed the King Beyond the Wall to walk free as LC. So I feel Mel used the burning ruse with Rattleshirt because she had a vision of Mance's future. We just don't know what that vision involved yet.

Arya slipped in a iron coin into the money bag that was going to the boat insurance guy. When the boat insurance found the coin he knew he was marked for death so he had a heart attack.

I may be wrong butI don't believe that was the case, Arya knew the insurance guy checked every coin by biting it, Arya had put poison on the coin, when he checked it he ingested the poison killing him.

I think the question that raises, then, is Why did she kill rattleshirt?

Obviously because someone needed to be burned and who could be better than Rattleshirt? He hates Jon and if T Rigatoni's theory (see below) is right, then who better than an enemy of Jon's?

Note, this is all conjecture because Mel never explains herself, but I think she saw Mance in her flames helping Jon Snow or doing something beneficial. However, Stannis would never allow him to live after all her talk of King's blood and Mance being a deserter of the NW, while Jon would loose all credibility if he allowed the King Beyond the Wall to walk free as LC. So I feel Mel used the burning ruse with Rattleshirt because she had a vision of Mance's future. We just don't know what that vision involved yet.

OK, I'll buy into this as it seems pretty plausible. But why "false king"?

There were a number of little inconsistencies I noticed, even though I read through the book at a record pace. I always pay close attention to George's writing. One thing I noticed he slipped on, and I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, so if it has been, I apologize, but when Tyrion and the Griffs are on the Shy Maid, (from page 234)

Septa Lemore sucked in her breath. "What was that?"

"Where?" Tyrion saw nothing but the fog.

"Something moved. I saw the water rippling."

"A turtle," the PRINCE announced cheerfully.

And yet it's not until page 239 that it is said the Young Griff is, in fact, Aegon. Kinda threw me for a loop when I first read that...

Did somebody already put together a good, logical chapter-order for AFFC and ADWD combined as one big book?

I'd like to read them that way, to have more balance between POV's and locations and have a better feel for the flow of the story.

There were a number of little inconsistencies I noticed, even though I read through the book at a record pace. I always pay close attention to George's writing. One thing I noticed he slipped on, and I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, so if it has been, I apologize, but when Tyrion and the Griffs are on the Shy Maid, (from page 234)

And yet it's not until page 239 that it is said the Young Griff is, in fact, Aegon. Kinda threw me for a loop when I first read that...

Tyrion has it figured out a while before he reveals it to them. It's meant to make the reader go "wait...what?"

Wow. I can't believe I missed that.

Not an inconsistency. Tyrion beats the half-maester at Cyvasse and they were playing for secrets. ;)

Another question, Is the book more about cool scenes than plausiable events?

For example it was cool that Manderly sang about the Rat cook, But it does not

seem remotely plausible to me, If I wanted convince people I was not going get revenge

for breaking guest right I would not show my hand by singing about legend about

how it is totally unacceptable to break guest right.

Another question, Is the book more about cool scenes than plausiable events?

For example it was cool that Manderly sang about the Rat cook, But it does not

seem remotely plausible to me, If I wanted convince people I was not going get revenge

for breaking guest right I would not show my hand by singing about legend about

how it is totally unacceptable to break guest right.

Of course you wouldn't, you're only Chuck Norris. You don't have balls anywhere near the size of Wyman Manderly. :smoking:

It's just a song, among many others during a feast. And its only a legend, like snarks and grumpkins. And he ate the pie himself.

Besides, the pies are gone now, so it's not like anything can be proved.

But songs are not just songs in the novels or in real life. In Abaraham Lincoln Liked Dixie and people really took notice of this. In The Novels people don't say "Tywin will kill you" they play reins of Castamere. If you didn't want people to notice that you were going get revenge on people for breaking guest right you would not sing about the rat cook, It really does not matter what was actually in the pies or what you can prove about the pies.

P.S. I absolutely baffled as to why you need to point the rat cook is a Legend.

Archived