What would make the best Prequel series?

memmorio

I am wondering what others think would be the best prequel series. Aegon the Conqueror? The Valyrians at their height? Robert's rebellion? One of the problems with a series as highly detailed as ASoIaF is the fact that we basically know the outcomes of these events. Also if something were to happen to GRRM during the writing of a prequel, who would be good enough to finish it?

I think Robert's Rebellion would make a great prequel. Going from Martin's style, POV characters like Robert (obviously), Ned, Rhaegar, Jaime, Lyanna and Aerys would be dynamic; perhaps even Tywin could justify a few chapters. I had a bit of a "Huh, that sounds epic" moment when the rebellion was reiterated in book one, and the backstory behind it became more and more interesting when we heard the finer details, such as why exactly Jaime cut his king down. There's a lot of intrigue in that story, and a lot of unanswered questions.

Looking at you, Lyanna and Rhaegar...

Let's think big here people.

I want to see Westeros at a time when there was no Wall. The first time they drove back the Others and Brandon the Builder erected their hope for future salvation.

I'd want to see Robert's Rebellion only to learn more about Rhaegar. His life is fascinating to me, who he was, what he learned that changed the course of his life that lead him to the Trident that dreadful day.

I want to see Westeros at a time when there was no Wall. The first time they drove back the Others and Brandon the Builder erected their hope for future salvation.

Just watch the ending of Return of the Jedi, and think of the stormtropers as whites :D

Serisly though something called the Age of Heroes is been over romanticised and best left alone because if might not have been as heroic as it sounds. Probably during the long winter the half of the heroes that survived did so by eating the other half.

Back on the subject though, is hard to decide between Roberts Rebelion and the Blackfyre "Rebelion" but Roberts rebelion has more intrigue and unknown elements so i'd prefer that. However we might know alot more in the next 2-3 books in wich case Blackfyre would be best.

I think Robert's Rebellion would make a great prequel. Going from Martin's style, POV characters like Robert (obviously), Ned, Rhaegar, Jaime, Lyanna and Aerys would be dynamic; perhaps even Tywin could justify a few chapters. I had a bit of a "Huh, that sounds epic" moment when the rebellion was reiterated in book one, and the backstory behind it became more and more interesting when we heard the finer details, such as why exactly Jaime cut his king down. There's a lot of intrigue in that story, and a lot of unanswered questions.

Looking at you, Lyanna and Rhaegar...

POVs from Stannis (for the siege) and Davos (for the siege and to give a view from a common man)

Robert's rebellion. Although I think that it might take more to write that story than it has the current series. Doing a story of the fall of Valyria...I don't know if that's possible since it would just be to epic. After all Valyria basically was Rome.

The entire history of Westeros pre-AGOT would be awesome. I am curious though, and it has been said that Torrhen - King of the North simply bent the knee, did not fight, did not try to fight Aegon and his sisters and their dragons, why, was it a pact or cowardice? I would like more clarity on this as to how this really went down.

The entire history of Westeros pre-AGOT would be awesome. I am curious though, and it has been said that Torrhen - King of the North simply bent the knee, did not fight, did not try to fight Aegon and his sisters and their dragons, why, was it a pact or cowardice? I would like more clarity on this as to how this really went down.

Dudes were getting melted by dragons in the kingdoms around him. He wisely said screw that and kept that fate from reaching himself.

Archived