What would make the best Prequel series?

memmorio

These are all awesome ideas..I wonder if we could start a petition to get Martin to do all of these lol <_< I know its not likely to happen but I can't get enough of Westeros and I'm dying to know so many things from the past not the least of which being WTF really happened at the Tower of Joy.

The entire history of Westeros pre-AGOT would be awesome. I am curious though, and it has been said that Torrhen - King of the North simply bent the knee, did not fight, did not try to fight Aegon and his sisters and their dragons, why, was it a pact or cowardice? I would like more clarity on this as to how this really went down.

He saw the dragons and realized there was no sense in fighting and spilling his men's blood for basically the same result. I don't believe it was cowardice. There was simply no chance of victory, as many others learned to their sorrow.

Imagine a book with 7-10 POVs of all the founders of the great Houses of Westeros. So we'd be talking like, Aegon the Conqueror, Orys Baratheon, Lann the Clever, whoever the 1st Stark King in the north was like thousands of years ago, plus the founders of houses Tully, Arryn, Martell, Greyjoy, and Tyrell plus a POV from a random commander of the NW from the last Long winter, and maybe a POV from the free cities as well, maybe a Sealord of Braavos.

Even better we could just do Orys since I think he and Aegon were the same time, and go even further back and see the Targaryens in Valyria, and end it with the Doom of Valyria.

Some of these houses are way older than others (Starks and Arryns have ruled their respective lands for THOUSANDS of years unless I'm incorrect) so the stories wouldn't be too interconnected, but would span an immense period of time where we could see things and people only mentioned briefly in the books so far...

Whoever said a Bran the Builder book had a great idea.

Afterthought: a book about the old empire in Ghis would be awesome too.

Just watch the ending of Return of the Jedi, and think of the stormtropers as whites :D

Serisly though something called the Age of Heroes is been over romanticised and best left alone because if might not have been as heroic as it sounds. Probably during the long winter the half of the heroes that survived did so by eating the other half.

All the more reason I want to read about it.

I wonder if there is an author that GRRM trusts enough to allow them to write in his world? Imagine all of these characters we try to make judgments on with very little information. Now imagine that we have their POVs as though answering our very questions with absolute certainty. Was Rhaegar more sinner or more saint? Well you'd get to see his actual thoughts and motivations for all of the things that he did. What really made Aegon the Conqueror go on a giant spree all over Westeros? What were the Children of the Forest thinking of the world of men invading them? Read from one of their POVs. A world created ever so completely from top to bottom has been given to us. I would hate to see its potential wasted just because a single author cannot possibly cover all of it by himself.

I wonder if there is an author that GRRM trusts enough to allow them to write in his world? Imagine all of these characters we try to make judgments on with very little information. Now imagine that we have their POVs as though answering our very questions with absolute certainty. Was Rhaegar more sinner or more saint? Well you'd get to see his actual thoughts and motivations for all of the things that he did. What really made Aegon the Conqueror go on a giant spree all over Westeros? What were the Children of the Forest thinking of the world of men invading them? Read from one of their POVs. A world created ever so completely from top to bottom has been given to us. I would hate to see its potential wasted just because a single author cannot possibly cover all of it by himself.

If its not by GRRM's pen, I rather not see them. Also, I can't think of any time more interesting than Robert's Rebellion for a prequel.

If its not by GRRM's pen, I rather not see them. Also, I can't think of any time more interesting than Robert's Rebellion for a prequel.

Normally I would agree. But other authors would have such a large framework to base it off that they could make the writing greatly similar. I don't see any other way of us getting those POVs for more than a short story.

You're all going to laugh at this, but I'd love a book of Westerosi bedtime stories. All the myths and legends like Night's King, the Rat Cook, the Last Hero, Aemon the Dragonknight, Florian and Jonquil, etc.

Can't think of anything less interesting than Robert's Rebellion. It's a story with conclusion we already know far too well. The same could be said of the Long Night, Doom of Valyria, the Rhoynar moving in to Westeros, the birth of Braavos, the fall of Ghis... but at least with those there's far more uncharted ground to be explored in the text. Half the characters would be the same for Robert's rebellion - boring! We can get the story of that sorry deal from Barristan or Howland Reed. If there's going to be more about Westeros, I hope it focuses on a more distant history.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived