What would make the best Prequel series?

memmorio

Roberts rebellion would be boring?? You could have Robert, Jon Arryn, R+L, Howland Reed, the Mad King, Tywin POVs. Characters we already know alittle about, but don't know the whole story. Ned and Robert's friendship would be awesome. Who knows? maybe we'll learn why a certain noble women killed herself...

Not sure, I would love to read about the doom of valyria and the founding of braavos

I second that. I'm starting my first re-read but did I miss the definition of The Doom? Some mysterious disaster that wiped out the Valerian empire?

I also would love a short story on Syrio, First Sword of Braavos!

One of Martin's high points in his novels is that characters had lives before the point where the books pick up, and mainly Robert's Rebellion is such a pivotal event for every character that I would say ASOIAF is about a struggle lasting for fifteen-and-some years, instead of the War of the Five Kings alone. We are and will be provided enough details of the Rebellion, and one thing I don't want is seeing that event first-handed. There is something beautiful and (darkly) romantic about the way every Westerosi draws his character from their memories and perception of those events.

Also, we'll be aware of virtually every important twist - will Jaime's regicide, or Lyanna's death will be as shocking as Ned's execution or the Red Wedding? Of course not.

That said, I would love a story in Essos, or Sothoryos (the southern continent?) with POV's whose mindests are not Westerosi.

Roberts rebellion is interesting cause it directly affect what were seeing now, but I kind of like it to be told this way, bit by bit. If we have a story on Roberts rebellion, we will next want a story on the events directly preceding that.

Also, GRRM may find he has to tweak certain things to make the prequel more interesting, therefore causing inconsistencies. Its not uncommon.

I think the cooler thing is either A story of Aegon the conqueror, or even better a history of the whole westeros from Children of the Forest to Aegon going through First Men, Andals and Rhoynar in the style of Tolkien's Silmarillion.

Brandon the Builder and the first Long Night

First Dragon riders of Valyria and the founding of the Freehold

The Grand Adventures of Gerion Lannister

The Story of Queen Nymeria of the Rhoynar

Stories about the Targaryen Ancestors such as: Blackfyre, Aegon, and those who lived in the period of time immediately preceeding the Doom telling the tale of the move to Dragonstone and first hand reports of the Doom itself.

You're all going to laugh at this, but I'd love a book of Westerosi bedtime stories. All the myths and legends like Night's King, the Rat Cook, the Last Hero, Aemon the Dragonknight, Florian and Jonquil, etc.

I would actually like to see this written, and it's one of the only suggestions I've seen in this thread that I'd have no qualms about. Half the fun of the history of ASoIaF is the murkiness and piecing things together. I wouldn't mind seeing prequels written in historical Westeros, but if it's specifically about a major event we already have information on, I'd be concerned that writing it out would take away from some of the mystique of the series.

The children's stories, though? Martin peppers enough references to them throughout the series that I think having a foundation in the actual stories would be both interesting and enriching. He put enough detail in that he can make allusions already, but there's still a difference between being able to understand the meaning and reference of "my kingdom for a horse" and having read Richard III.

other stories that would be good and are no le morte de tristefer mudd include.

As novellas:

The Migration of the Manderlys

Lann the Trickster and the Casterlys

The Journey of Gerion

The Song of Nymeria

The Chronicles of Dawn (detailing the right and good exploits of the Swords of the Morning)

Excerpts from the History section of the 7 pointed star.

Archived