I'm surprised how loyal ASOIAF fans are

Mattyp

Hello, another newbie ^_^ I've picked up ASOIAF books after I've watched all of the HBO GOT. I had this wonderful plan to take my time reading them, since I saw that there are approximately 5 year gaps between the books. Unfortunately, I couldn't help myself and I'm not sure how I'll deal with the wait on the 6th book xD I guess I'll be doing a lot of re-reading ^_^ :read: It is really fascinating how many HC fans are out there!!! :) TBH, there are some other epic fantasy writers I'm loyal to for a much longer period of time, but after having read the books I'm definately a fan :wub: Let's just hope it'll take 5 years ONLY xD :cheers:

Yeah there is no shame in being a newbie, I started the series after watching GOT, I had no interest in commiting myself to a series of 800+ page books, but after the season finale, I had to find out what was going to happen next. Next thing I know its 3 books later and I don't see an end in sight. I feel bad for all the books that I pushed back on my reading list to make way for ASOIAF, but its worth it. When I finish DWD I will welcome the respite :drunk:

I was similar to Ile de Le Fleur, though I started GOT before the tv series finished, after keeping up with the Wheel of Time series I was glad to get a massive chunk of a new world up front and quickly. I am a little worried that the time between books is so very long - but the tv series adaptations may encourage a tighter schedule??

Gotta hope GRRM keeps a hefty pile of notes like Robert Jordan did or we may never know the end!

I only started the series recently. I thought i'd read a book, then read something else before moving on to the next.

Ha! Fat chance. I'm so glad I didn't have to endure the Long Waits. Quite understand GRRM must write in his own time, but it would have been agony. Once you get involved with these amazing characters, this extraordinary world, it's very hard to step out.

haha mattyp :) I just wanted to add my 2 cents. before discovering aSoIaF through HBO (i love good tv almost as much as good books) i had read all 11 books in the Sookie Stackhouse series (HBO strike again- True Blood) and then 2 other series by that same author.

I actually lost interest in LotR during the two towers and stopped reading, never to go back. ASoIaF is the first fantasy series i have read (im still waiting for book 3 to arrive aSoS to arrive from UK for me to start reading -I've already devoured the sample on this site- and Im loving it.

im thirsting for more!

• 2 months later...

As far as excessive detail, perhaps here's an example:

Edd cut three thick slices of a stale round of oat bread, stacked them on a wooden platter, covered them with bacon drippings, and filled a bowl with hard-cooked eggs. Jon took the bowl in one hand and the platter in the other and backed into the Lord Commander's tent.

You know, it wouldn't have kept me up at night to wonder how Jon actually delivered the food to Lord Mormont. Nor the details of Edd's food preparation, really.

LOL this kind of detailed descriptions keeps me putting down the books to grab some food every now and then! Seriously, I can not go through any feast scene (or any eating scene while I'm at it) without my belly complaining and craving for a fat steak or something. :drool: Maybe it is some kind of safety mechanism so that the readers do not die from starvation while reading.

As far as excessive detail, perhaps here's an example:

Edd cut three thick slices of a stale round of oat bread, stacked them on a wooden platter, covered them with bacon drippings, and filled a bowl with hard-cooked eggs. Jon took the bowl in one hand and the platter in the other and backed into the Lord Commander's tent.

You know, it wouldn't have kept me up at night to wonder how Jon actually delivered the food to Lord Mormont. Nor the details of Edd's food preparation, really.

But its all those little details that make the series so brilliant!

I've been a fan of ASOIAF for about 5 years now, got into them while I was browsing a bookstore looking for a series I hadn't heard about that would be a rather long one, I'm a fan of long stories, LotR, Harry Potter, Malazan book of the Fallen, Monarchies of God, The Belgariad, etc. When I finished AFFC the first time and saw the 'Meanwhile, back on The Wall' note, I knew something was amiss as I read that in 2008ish, but I wasn't too put off by it, in fact I reread the first 4 books 4 times before ADWD came out. Someone here already mentioned the wait with the Harry Potter series, which I also experienced as I started reading those books shortly after the third was released, and remained a die-hard fan all the way through book 7 which I bought at release night and finished in 12 hours.

I hear people saying they don't need to hear about all the details that GRRM puts into his books. I say this is a mark of his excellent writing that I have not seen many times, if ever in a book. For me, the depth and intricacy of this story is only rivaled by one book series I've ever read, being LotR which has a massive backstory/created world backing it up which took the author decades to create. GRRM doesn't have this backstock of previous material to fall on as he's writing this epic, so he must needs create it as he goes along, and research back in his own work to make sure something doesn't contradict something he's already published.

To this means, I'm willing and even eager to wait as long as GRRM deems necessary to release a quality book that fills in all the blanks he's left and ties up his tapestry of loose ends to his satisfaction. I don't want A Dream of Spring to read like Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, which though a good book, seemed rushed and didn't live up to my expectations from the rest of the series, there, the author seemed to be mainly finishing the book for her publisher after mostly losing interest in her brainchild when it became a worldwide success.

Take as many years as you need George, I'll be right here waiting when the final book in your epic masterpiece comes out, just be sure and do your characters, that we've all come to know and love (or loathe) justice.

I think perhaps people aren't used to that level of detail in a book. Perhaps this is normal for fantasy books but since I've read so few in the genre (I did get the complete set of Harry Potter for Christmas). I don't know. Most fiction I read tends to be historically based or more modern so I'm a little bit more familiar with the world it's in.

Since the world the books are set in is completely made up, you need those details in order to feel as if you are a part of the world. One of the Arya chapters in AFFC just really made took my breath away and made me feel like I was completely apart of that world because it was so vivid in details.

It seems that a lot of people came to the books late, (like myself). I wonder how many here are 'originals', that is they read AGoT in the nineties, ACoK in 200, etc, etc...

*raises hand

I read Game of Thrones in 1997 or so and the rest of the books on release.

Yeah, waiting 11 years to find out what happened to Tyrion and Dany (and Jon) blew.

My member number for this board is in the 500's. I've been with it since before it was on westeros.org! Ah, the old EZ board days..... 1998 i think?

I was Saetter over on EZ Board ("Myrddin" was already taken over there by some pretender). A long time ago on a forum far far away...

I started reading after I saw HBO's TV series. I bought Game of Thrones and Clash of Kings in the bookstore on September the 14th, and I ordered Storm of Swords and Feast of Crows online. Bought the first volume of Dance with Dragons last month. Currently reading Feast For Crows, I'm halfway through it.

So, that means I can't name myself a long-time fan, but I am a fan now.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived