[ADwD Spoilers] Ice Dragon's

wolverinehokie

I noticed them mentioned twice as descriptions in Jon chapters:

"The wind was gusting, cold as the breath of the ice dragon in the tales Old Nan had told when Jon was a boy."

"The road beneath the Wall was as dark and cold as the belly of an ice dragon and as twisty as a serpent"

So what is an ice dragon? I believe Jon is AA, so he needs to wake dragons. Perhaps his dragons are ice dragons.

Also King's blood has powers Mel likes to say. Jon has the blood of the kings of the north and the Targs. That seems pretty powerful to me.

Also the wall has power, if Jon would just use it according to Mel. LC of NW should have it's own power too I think.

So if Jon bleeds on the wall, does that wake ice dragons? Is the Wall really what is healing him (the smoke from the wounds) and not Mel?

Hello. I dont have my book now with me but I do remember in ADWD in Jon's POV that he mentioned " Ice dragon" several times. Is this a foreshadowing that there is a possibility of a dragon in the north?

Hello. I dont have my book now with me but I do remember in ADWD in Jon's POV that he mentioned " Ice dragon" several times. Is this a foreshadowing that there is a possibility of a dragon in the north?

My guess is it's just GRRM referencing /paying homage to one of his other works. The Ice Dragon is a childrens book by GRRM.

Assuming Jon actually is part Targ, you could make the case that he is the Ice Dragon.

What use would a real ice dragon be anyway? Dany's dragons would just melt it. And cold doesn't kill the Others. I suppose he could freeze the Boltons and Freys with one, but they really deserve worse.

Is the Wall really what is healing him (the smoke from the wounds) and not Mel?

Not that I think Jon is going to stay dead, but it's worth noting here that vapor will visibly exit any warm, wet hole in a human that is exposed to sub-freezing temperatures. Your mouth when you exhale, for example.

Yes, I do remember GRRM having another work about an Ice Dragon. Isn't the world Westeros as well? I haven't read it myself.

Well could be that Danny's dragons could go berserk and the Ice dragon can kill one of Danny's dragons.

The Ice Dragon is a star formation that Jon mentions seeing several times. Could be forshadowing to a real ice dragon, who knows?!

And doesn't Melisandre tell him the last time they talk that he has to "look up to the sky to learn the answers", or something like this? :stunned:

"The wind was gusting, cold as the breath of the ice dragon in the tales Old Nan had told when Jon was a boy."

This exact quote actually appears in two different Jon chapters. I think GRRM really wanted to get references to them in, and forgot the other one existed or something along those lines.

Ice dragons could also be "bad" as in controlled by the others so Dany's fire dragons would need to fight them, but I think ice dragons would be just as deadly as fire dragons.

I also firmly believe "smoking" is not the same as "steaming". Wounds in the cold steam, they do not smoke unless there is fire.

I also firmly believe "smoking" is not the same as "steaming". Wounds in the cold steam, they do not smoke unless there is fire.

The same? No. Close enough to be the result of artistic license intended to make the scene evoke a certain prophesy? Yes.

Assuming Jon actually is part Targ, you could make the case that he is the Ice Dragon.

What use would a real ice dragon be anyway? Dany's dragons would just melt it. And cold doesn't kill the Others. I suppose he could freeze the Boltons and Freys with one, but they really deserve worse.

I agree, the ice dragon could be a reference to Jon.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we had theories about an ice dragon of sorts at the Wall before. This was linked to what Aemon said in AFFC about the Wall:

I should not have left the Wall. Lord Snow could not have known, but I should have seen it. Fire consumes, but cold preserves. The Wall...but it is too late to go running back.

It's interesting that there are 3 separate mentions of ice dragons in the Jon chapters, and that they are from Old Nan's tales, many of which we now know to be based on real events.

So I think there is a chance that there is a dragon in the wall, that is still one of the possible scenarios. I don't agree that Dany's 3 dragons are necessarily all the one we are going to see, I don't see why we should. Bloodraven's red egg is still unaccounted for as well for instance, and one wonders if GRRM made that point in the Mystery Knight for no reason.

As for it having no effect on the Others, we have no idea if that is the case, or if that is why the ice dragon would appear. in George's short story about the Ice Dragon I do believe it kills a few normal dragons btw.

I'm not saying we have seen enough to know that this is definitly coming, but some seeds could certainly have been planted so that it does not come totally out of the blue. In ADWD, there is also Mogorro's speaking of seeing dragons "old and young, bright and dark, true and false" in his flames, which could also refer to other dragons than Dany's 3, instead of the common assumption here that Moqorro is speaking about people who have a connection to Targaryens.

My guess is it's just GRRM referencing /paying homage to one of his other works. The Ice Dragon is a childrens book by GRRM.

This "children's book," as it is called

(contains rape, murder, many deaths, a crucifixion of sorts) has an Ice Dragon that seems to be made litereally of ice. It shows up only when it is cold enough for it to do so, without excessive 'weeping.' It could be that an Ice Dragon in this series would be more or less confined to the Lands of Always Winter until Winter has come south of the Wall, as it seems to be doing now. As mentioned before, the Ice Dragon in the children's book does kill a couple of the fire dragons before it has a wing melted off by a fire dragon's breath before it crashes to the ground. The Ice Dragon in teh case was too far south for the weather, and it melts into a large pond or lake. There is a small girl that rides the Ice Dragon, only being able to do so because her body is seemingly without warmth. This allows her to ride the Dragon without her warmth melting it where she touches it. Much of this of course, could be Old Nan speak, and not to be taken so literally. But it still stands to reason that the Ice Dragons, if present in actual Westeros, would only come south when it is cold enough to do so. Now that the fantasy faucet has been opened up in this series, I think an Ice Dragon has a good chance of making an appearance.

Im obsesing for a long time abouth dragons and north,and scince ADWD I been obsesing even more.There is alot of ice dragons talk,and it has always been very strange to me that north just kneled to the dragons,some might

say that was just comon scense but they dont seam to pay a lot atention to it now,they seam to hawe ipulse to fight

And I been thinking that it maybe there is something up with the only one of Danys dragons that didnt roas somebody by

now is the white one....

It would be nice symmetry,if there were three dragons in th east (Essos) and three dragons in the west (Westeros), one under Dragonstone (remember it gets warmer the deeper you go), one Summer sees in Winterfell and one at the Wall (either as an egg about existence of which Jon wonders when Stannis shows up or an actual Ice Dragon).

Archived