Prince of Thorns - Mark Lawrence

Barnes

I just finished Prince of Thorns today, I liked it, just not sure how much, was it good or great or, can't decide, wasn't quite as dark & gritty as I heard though, wondering what others readers thought of it,

I liked it.

I also did an interview with the author recently. He gives some neat information of what we can come to expect so, by all means, check it out.

So, Mark Lawrence is present on this board? What's his nick?

I am also ordering this book. I've had an eye on it since first reviews appeared online. If it's as good as everybody claims, than it is a great addition to an already great year for fantasy lovers.

Something i always wondered, when do authors sign on here (i guess one of the largest generalist fantasy forum), is it normally "suggested" by the publisher?

Did you chose this one specifically (instead, of say, a malazan forum)?

I wonder also because most authors here have no pseudonym - they use their real names, while most random people will use something else that protects their identity.

Something i always wondered, when do authors sign on here (i guess one of the largest generalist fantasy forum), is it normally "suggested" by the publisher?

I wonder also because most authors here have no pseudonym - they use their real names, while most random people will use something else that protects their identity.

I'm curious to see what the authors have to say, but I'll give you my take on it. First and foremost, author's want their name out there. They don't want to have a psuedonym on the board because they want their names clearly visibile. In that way, it's about marketing. Though I believe that when most authors come here they either do it because they are just as much fans as we are and enjoy the discussion or they want to clarify/correct some sort of factual info in the thread discussing them. Then they often stay around to be helpful and because it's fun.

Also, if an author appears to be hiding their identity behind a psuedonym it can really piss people off. See Bakker for example.

But sometime authors are around here before they are well known and/or published and they have psuedonyms that they have been using for a long time. Brandon Sanderson is a good example - he had a psuedonym that he used here (I don't recall it anymore), but eventually switched it over to his name once he became more known with the Mistborn novels. Then he became too busy to hang out here much anymore (but I know he occasionally lurks as we talked about it once).

I'm curious to see what the authors have to say, but I'll give you my take on it. First and foremost, author's want their name out there. They don't want to have a psuedonym on the board because they want their names clearly visibile. In that way, it's about marketing. Though I believe that when most authors come here they either do it because they are just as much fans as we are and enjoy the discussion or they want to clarify/correct some sort of factual info in the thread discussing them. Then they often stay around to be helpful and because it's fun.

Also, if an author appears to be hiding their identity behind a psuedonym it can really piss people off. See Bakker for example.

But sometime authors are around here before they are well known and/or published and they have psuedonyms that they have been using for a long time. Brandon Sanderson is a good example - he had a psuedonym that he used here (I don't recall it anymore), but eventually switched it over to his name once he became more known with the Mistborn novels. Then he became too busy to hang out here much anymore (but I know he occasionally lurks as we talked about it once).

IIRC, Ran and other mods asked authors to use their names here. I thought Mark had another nick with higher board rating to be able to have this "illegitimate love-child of Tolkien and Martin" subtitle.

However, "summon author" spell still works nice;-)

So, I just placed Prince on my purchase list over at bookdepository.co.uk. As I am still suffering from ADWD aftermath and have real problems finishing White-Luck Warrior, I hope Prince shakes me up.

No publisher has ever mentioned any forum or the topic of forums to me - I just don't think they believe they're very important in the grand scheme of things. The most a publisher has ever suggested is that I set up an author webpage.

I suspect forums are slightly more important than the publishers believe but they certainly don't make and break authors. The sales of books seem to bear little correlation to whether that author is beloved of the forums or not. I visit a small number because I enjoy them. I started on SFF World about 18 months ago and found a few others I like (mostly by stalking Werthead).

GRRM's my favourite fantasy author and Erikson ... isn't.

If I took part in discussions about my book and used a name other than 'Mark Lawrence' people might think I was deceiving them.

Hopefully we're now cool :)

im going to give this book a shot...after Stego chimes in.

[tangent]Someone needs to explain ebook pricing to me. I really want to get this in digital format but for 4 bucks more i can get the actual book. So stupid. I get that they don't want to give up on books just yet so they're pricing the ebook format in the same ball park but there is NO WAY a hardback book should cost as much as (what boils down to) a word document. [/tangent]

It sounds really interesting, I'll keep it in mind.

im going to give this book a shot...after Stego chimes in.

[tangent]Someone needs to explain ebook pricing to me. I really want to get this in digital format but for 4 bucks more i can get the actual book. So stupid. I get that they don't want to give up on books just yet so they're pricing the ebook format in the same ball park but there is NO WAY a hardback book should cost as much as (what boils down to) a word document. [/tangent]

1) the hardback price is probably deeply discounted

2) production costs (acquisition, editing, overhead, layout, cover etc.) are for a large part the same for all formats

3) you are for a large part paying for early access anyway

edit: a personal favourite: no need for added shelving

TO continue the tangent about ebooks: they are especially valuable to me because of their searchability. If I get annoyed at Butcher and want to know exactly how many times his characters "arch" their "brow", it's easy for me to find out. Or if I know that Jesus said something funny in Hammered but I can't remember exactly what it was, it's easy to look up. So ebooks have added value compared to dead tree books for me, at least in some ways.

As our author here is being so generous with the Q & A, ill give a question asked in another thread.

Typically I read the books as they come out in the library, then wait for paperback before buying. Am I taking money out of your pocket by doing this? I swear I am not trying to bankrupt you, but i truly prefer paperback for size and obviously, price. Do I need to suck it up and buy the hardback for authors i truly love once in a while?

BTW, I am first on the list at my library, and supposedly it is in transit. Cannot wait to read your debut.

As our author here is being so generous with the Q & A, ill give a question asked in another thread.

Typically I read the books as they come out in the library, then wait for paperback before buying. Am I taking money out of your pocket by doing this? I swear I am not trying to bankrupt you, but i truly prefer paperback for size and obviously, price. Do I need to suck it up and buy the hardback for authors i truly love once in a while?

Heh - well you're certainly not taking money out of my pocket ... I think you're just putting a little less in. Some small percentage of the paperback price rather than some small percentage of the hardback price.

I think the biggest service you can do for authors whose work you love is to tell other people about them. Word of mouth is by far the most effective driver of sales.

I think the biggest service you can do for authors whose work you love is to tell other people about them. Word of mouth is by far the most effective driver of sales.

Which is why boards like this are a great place to get some exposure. I'm surprised publishers don't encourage authors to interact on this medium. I'm pretty sure you sold at least a couple of books just by posting here a few times.

Anyway, Congratulations on being published. I look forward to reading your novel.

I'm pretty sure you sold at least a couple of books just by posting here a few times.

Oh, that's for sure. I probably wouldn't even have heard of this book if not for forums, and now I definitely intend to get it. And direct author contact really builds excitement and "brand" loyalty.

Archived