The Hound

RadicalRaddish

• 2 weeks later...

Sandor seems complicated to me. I liked what someone stated earlier which makes sense; there are no bad Hounds, only bad masters. The masters have seemed to have made Sandor who he is however there is a different side to him, hidden under those layers of tough leather and burnt skin.

He cut down the butchers boy because he was commanded to. He prevented Sansa from pushing Joffrey because he has to protect the King. You should really watch this interview on what George R R Martin saids about Sandor Clegane it really tells a whole lot.

He cut down the butchers boy because he was commanded to. He prevented Sansa from pushing Joffrey because he has to protect the King. You should really watch this interview on what George R R Martin saids about Sandor Clegane it really tells a whole lot.

I believe he protected Joff because he knew it would lead to Sansa's death. He had feelings for Sansa, whatever that means in his head. I don't think he would mind at all if Joff happened to slip and fall off on his own accord and die.

I believe he protected Joff because he knew it would lead to Sansa's death. He had feelings for Sansa, whatever that means in his head. I don't think he would mind at all if Joff happened to slip and fall off on his own accord and die.

ICAM. I think he did that for Sansa's sake not Joffrey. I think he could care less about Joffrey.

I'm still reading CoK, and agree completely about The Hound being such a well written character. It seems like The Hound is really what a true knight should be to a certain extent. He doesn't concern himself with the title and protects people who need protecting.

Saying that, he knows he has done some horrible things and I think that deep down The Hound has a lot of regret. Maybe he sees Sansa as an opportunity to prove to himself that he isn't such a bad person. Or maybe I'm just softening him up too much here!

@GS: No, I agree. I like that he's all "ugghh...these knights are so full of shit w/their titles and phony honor. I'm not one of them." He seems more interested in helping out Sansa when he can than being one of the Kingsguard and all that entails and agree he may look at Sansa as his redemption.

I'm still reading CoK, and agree completely about The Hound being such a well written character. It seems like The Hound is really what a true knight should be to a certain extent. He doesn't concern himself with the title and protects people who need protecting.

Saying that, he knows he has done some horrible things and I think that deep down The Hound has a lot of regret. Maybe he sees Sansa as an opportunity to prove to himself that he isn't such a bad person. Or maybe I'm just softening him up too much here!

I'd have to disagree about him being what a true knight should be. He doesn't protect the weak and innocent, he does what his master tells him to, which includes killing the weak and innocent (i.e. Mycah). But he obviously has a soft spot for Sansa (maybe cuz she doesn't treat him like a dog like everyon else does?), so he protects her and defies Joffrey when it comes to beating her.

As far as stopping Sansa from pushing Joffrey, maybe it was, both, out of duty to protect the king, and protecting/saving Sansa. If it was strictly out of duty, and he knew what she was doing, and felt nothing for her, I believe he would have killed her to save Joffrey. But, at the same time, maybe he didn't want to lose the one thing.person that made him feel even a tiny bit like a human? It didn't show in the tv series, but in GOT The Hound and Sansa had a conversation or 2 when he revealed some things about himself to her that he, apparently, never told anyone.

I'd have to disagree about him being what a true knight should be. He doesn't protect the weak and innocent, he does what his master tells him to, which includes killing the weak and innocent (i.e. Mycah). But he obviously has a soft spot for Sansa (maybe cuz she doesn't treat him like a dog like everyon else does?), so he protects her and defies Joffrey when it comes to beating her.

As far as stopping Sansa from pushing Joffrey, maybe it was, both, out of duty to protect the king, and protecting/saving Sansa. If it was strictly out of duty, and he knew what she was doing, and felt nothing for her, I believe he would have killed her to save Joffrey. But, at the same time, maybe he didn't want to lose the one thing.person that made him feel even a tiny bit like a human? It didn't show in the tv series, but in GOT The Hound and Sansa had a conversation or 2 when he revealed some things about himself to her that he, apparently, never told anyone.

I only meant that he was a true knight in the sense that he doesn't get involved in politics or carving out his own personal agenda like so many of the other knights.

If memory serves, in the tv show it's Littlefinger who tells Sansa the tale of The Mountain and The Hound. I'm still not far enough through the book to know any of the conversations between the two in detail.

• 1 month later...

The Hound was one of my favourite characters. He is rough around the edges so to say but he did have heart especially when it came to Sansa. He lived in his brother's shadow which probally drove him to do some of the things he did.

The Hound was protective of Sansa in some of things he said to her about Joffrey.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When you think of what his childhood and youth were like...with how he looked (due to the monster Gregor) He would have to had a very strong personal wall of defense. That would account for most of his behavior...and yes he did have more honor than most of the other knights in the books

Sandor is my second favorite character. I just came upon that spoiler on the second page about him developing as a character, as I have just finished ASoS, and I suppose i'm looking forward to more of The Hound if I read that spoiler correctly.

I love The Hound, and he certainly helps Sansa and Arya become more mature so they can better face the chaos that Westeros has been going through. While cruel, Sandor really is a great guy. :D

• 9 months later...

I love how nuanced and well-written Sandor Clegane the character is. GRRM is great at writing such characters.

Sandor obviously is brutal, and full of RAGE, most of all. He does as ordered (by the Lannisters), but doesn't seem to relish brutality. Though sorely lacking in social skills, The Hound has certainly distinguished himself from his full-on rabid and brutal older brother, Gregor, The Mountain.

I find it fascinating that Sandor's hatred of "Sers" and anybody calling him a knight is because he sees right through those "knightly vows", he sees Knights do terrible things. Hound refuses to take the vows because he knows what their worth - they're useless, and a hypocrisy, especially when it comes to Gregor and others like him (most of Tywin Lannister's "dogs").

Sandor clearly has feelings for Sansa, but his social ineptitude makes him awkward in how he expresses them. When he sits waiting for her in her room,

I don't think he came to rape her. I think he came to offer to help her escape, and to offer her protection, because he's in love with her. I just think he was so socially inept and rull of anger that his intentions came across as threatening to Sansa, who refuses his offer of protection. In the end, all he demanded was a song...not to harm Sansa.

Also, with Arya: (aSoS spoilers)

he isn't the NICEST guy around to her when he kidnaps her from the BWB, but he treats her well enough. Sandor does not beat her or rape her - all he does is threaten bloody violence (but never really acts on it). The only time Arya was hit was really Hound saving her from rushing into The Twins, where she would've likely been killed. Hound mostly seems to be looking to ransom her, no more. The confrontation in the inn with Polliver and Tickler was one of my fav scenes in aSoS.

AFFC spoilers (minor)

I hope we haven't seen the last of Sandor, after he parts ways with Arya. I'm fairly certain we'll be seeing more of him.

I really hope so. I keep thinking since he's on the Quiet Isle, that maybe somehow GRRM will write something appropriate like he's ridding himself of his 'demons' and a purer, more focused man will emerge, perhaps as a "paladin". Remember that Cersie, courtesy of Tommen's 'rubber stamp', will authorize the 're-boot' of a Paladin class (ref: AD&D, paladin being a 'righteous' knight) in AFFC.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I respected the Hound and a part of me wanted Sansa to go with him during the Battle of Blackwater as it appeared he had finally come to realization he needed to redeem himself some how. He kinda of terrorized Sansa before anything with Joffrey started happening by telling her the story of his youth and of course Sansa being who she is and gullible in who she trusted. Everyone was afraid of him and he knew it and he could have done more to help Sansa on many occasions but chose to mildly intervene and that is what annoyed me. Even Joffrey was afraid of him, but still called him dog on numerous occasions. I think if the hound really wanted to he could have done more earlier and who would stop him or what did they have to harm him with? His brother as Sandor could care less if his brother was dead or alive. I think his gesture came a little too late. I also think Sansa's song did soften him. I respect that he changed and attempted to take Sansa to safety, but I cannot like him for what he did to the butcher's boy and others. Those acts he seemed to relish in and he could have done or said something then.

Sandor Clegane is a fascinating character and shows how someone who doesn't fit a standard niche can use his strengths to find a role. I get the feeling that he wanted to serve Robert Baratheon to be close to something or someone more powerful than Gregor.

Did anyone else notice that the jobs he did best were those assigned to him by Robert and not Joffrey?

And for all Arya's complaints about the butcher's boy, to a bodyguard there'd be very little difference between any peasant attacking the King's heir or the young King (in the riot). How would Jorah or Grey Worm respond to a similar possible threat to Dany?

I agree the Hound did what he commanded, but in some instances he took way too much pleasure in those actions. He never claimed nor wanted to be a knight, because the knights were not true knights. True knights would have protected Sansa from Joffrey not join in the festivities to beat, berate and tear clothing to shame her. The Hound could had done more for Sansa prior and yes he had a thing for her and probably a part of him acted the way he did to put a wall up from those feelings. If there was ever a person who could redeem himself and maybe help others it is he. A part of me hopes he stick around to the end to see what happens.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived