The Hound

RadicalRaddish

• 3 months later...

Hi All,

I'm currently half-way through ACoK. Does anyone find Sandor Clegane's character to be very nuanced? In GoT, one gets the impression that he's brutal and bloodthirsty given the way he hacked down the butcher's boy. But towards the end of the book, he seems to have developed a soft spot for Sansa. He saved her on numerous occassions. If I'm not mistaken, when Sansa was contemplating throwing herself and Joffrey off the bridge (when Joffrey forced her to look upon the severed heads) ... I think Sandor figured what Sansa was planning and interposed himself between Sansa and Joffrey, not to save Joffrey's life so much as to prevent Sansa from killing herself. And his refusal to beat Sansa in ACoK as well as shielding her from Joffrey is admirable.

And I hear Sandor will meet Arya later in the book or in the series and Arya eventually will take him off her "deserves-to-die list". That says a lot about someone who, only one book ago was portrayed as a bloody killer.

Welcome to the Boards, and more importantly, the Books.

Yes, I found the Hound nuanced from the start. I found him to be more rage-filled than blood thirsty. I also thought he was terribly depressed. When he rode down Mycha, he had to bring his body back. His brother would have just tromped the kiddo and rode off. And yes, you will find him expanded upon greatly.

I think he fell hard for Sansa at the inn. I believe he often tested her to see if she could stand up to Joff. When he realized that she was truly a girl schooled in the chivalry bit, he became enraged that Joffrey would have and hurt his little bird.

I respected the Hound and a part of me wanted Sansa to go with him during the Battle of Blackwater as it appeared he had finally come to realization he needed to redeem himself some how. He kinda of terrorized Sansa before anything with Joffrey started happening by telling her the story of his youth and of course Sansa being who she is and gullible in who she trusted. Everyone was afraid of him and he knew it and he could have done more to help Sansa on many occasions but chose to mildly intervene and that is what annoyed me. Even Joffrey was afraid of him, but still called him dog on numerous occasions. I think if the hound really wanted to he could have done more earlier and who would stop him or what did they have to harm him with? His brother as Sandor could care less if his brother was dead or alive. I think his gesture came a little too late. I also think Sansa's song did soften him. I respect that he changed and attempted to take Sansa to safety, but I cannot like him for what he did to the butcher's boy and others. Those acts he seemed to relish in and he could have done or said something then.

He couldn't have done more, not without possibly getting himself executed by Joffrey, and making things even worse for Sansa. Joffrey was the one with power there; that's how their world works.

Who could have stopped him? A bunch of other armed men Joffrey or Cersei would command to kill him. He could probably take a few out, but not all of them. What did they have to harm him with? Weapons, or Ser Ilyn's axe.

I agree the Hound did what he commanded, but in some instances he took way too much pleasure in those actions. He never claimed nor wanted to be a knight, because the knights were not true knights. True knights would have protected Sansa from Joffrey not join in the festivities to beat, berate and tear clothing to shame her. The Hound could had done more for Sansa prior and yes he had a thing for her and probably a part of him acted the way he did to put a wall up from those feelings. If there was ever a person who could redeem himself and maybe help others it is he. A part of me hopes he stick around to the end to see what happens.

When did Sandor feel pleasure in doing what he was ordered?

Archived