[Q&A] Patrick Rothfuss Chat Thread

Ran

it should be noted that, unless I'm mistaken, pat hasn't read " a song of ice and fire". I'm pretty sure his girlfriend has though. that's not necessarily a bad thing. he has mentioned before that there are times when a good book will temporarily influence his writing style. I'm not sure that pats world would benefit from having the most noble characters beheaded or flayed.

Hi Pat,

I love your books, on about my 5th re read of Wise Mans Fear. Lost count for Name of the Wind.

I love Auri, she is my favourite character by a long way. Do you think of her as insane or is she more complicated than that?

Matt

That's a good question, but it strays into the realm of spoiler. If I wanted you to know more about her, I would already have revealed it in the books....

Typical intro, huge fan of the two books, can't wait for the third, bla bla bla.

Anyways, I was wondering the opposite of Ser Shane's question: do you have anything outside of the Kingkiller world in the works?

I'm working on a sequel to The Adventures of the Princess and Mr. Whiffle. And I'll probably dabble a little bit in comics before too long, trying out that storytelling format to see how it works for me.

Maybe an urban fantasy novel. I think I could have some fun with that....

Kvothe is .08 of a Taborlin.

Hm... will we ever find out much more about Taborlin? Possibly in a different series, possibly through stories people tell in book 3, I suppose. I love learning about mythologies and histories of people's stories; it's one reason I like Tolkien so much.

I love big, long books like yours. I mean, its really two and half novels in one, if you think about it. And of course it helps that it doesn't suck, either :)

My next question for you is:

Why a trilogy? I have to be honest, I'm kinda getting tired of the trilogy format. I'm not addressing this directly at you, per se. But I think the "trilogy" as an idea is becoming tired and overdone. They almost always follow the same formula. Book 1 establishes the characters and gives them a victory to be prowd of ... Book 2 the villan has some kind of victory and puts the characters through some major hardships ... Book 3 the main characters overcome adversity and win, maybe losing a main character or two, but ultimately winning.

What was it about our series that made you choose the trilogy format?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA69pmhrBiE

One of my favorite aspects of your books is the metafictional structure which I imagine goes like this:

The story of Kvothe actually at the inn

The story Kvothe is TELLING at the inn (might not be entirely true!)

The actual reality of Kvothe’s story

The quasi-factual myths about history/religion revealed in Kvothe’s story

The actual real history of the world that you’ve created

Given this wonderfully deep structure, I always read your work as a commentary on the reliability/utility of storytelling itself. Is this a consequence of your writing, or a more intentional part of the process?

Yes. I'm Meta.

Hello Pat, I have a lot of questions but i don't want to be annoying so I'll ask the most important:

How is Oot today?

PS: Also, do you have any idea of which would be the release's date of TWMF traduction in spanish? (To Latin Amercia, I'm from Argentina).

PSS: We (me and a friend) have this new religion that we call Rothfusstism, it's just to let you know that we love you.

Hey Pat, how much influence have mythology and current religions had in the development of the folklore of The Four Corners?

A lot.

Wait. Do you mean our Mythology and Religions? If that's what you're asking, then not very much. The folklore of The Four Corners is based mostly off the cosmology of the Four Corners. Not on our world.

This is a question I wanted to ask you at SDCC but I'm always to shy to ask panels question. I really enjoyed that panel by the way, though I wish it had just been you, Sanderson, and Martin.

You mentioned before Wise Man's Fear came out that if it did really well you'd like to get involved with making more Firefly with Nathan Fillion.

Have you been able to speak to Nathan Fillion about it? Is it something even on your radar? Or was it more idle fantasy?

I apologize if this has been asked elsewhere I have not seen it.

I'd love to work with Fillion on it. Unfortunately, I have no real way of contacting him. He's all rockstar famous. He doesn't know who I am.....

Archived