Meera's Tale

mewcat

Has anyone analyzed Meera's tale about the knight/tourney she told Bran in Bran's second chapter in SOS?? I just finished it and am wondering who those people are. I recognize some of them (Lyanna and DragonKnight,etc.) but has anyone here pointed out the meaning and symbolism??

I've been wondering about that too. Should go back at some point and re-read that, but I think that, to some extent, we're not given enough info in the first three books to fully understand the tale. I suspect a fuller explanation might require spoilers from later books. Not sure though.

:dunno:

Has anyone analyzed Meera's tale about the knight/tourney she told Bran in Bran's second chapter in SOS?? I just finished it and am wondering who those people are. I recognize some of them (Lyanna and DragonKnight,etc.) but has anyone here pointed out the meaning and symbolism??

Sorry to nitpick, it wouldn't have been the Dragon Knight, as that was Aemon Targaryen (not Maester Aemon), brother of Aegon IV. You're thinking of Prince Rhaegar. The other Starks also appear in the story.

This book talks a great deal about the tourney at Harrenhal, I wonder if that will bear some import in the next book or two.

It's more a piece of history than symbolism really, filling in details on events that led to the rebellion. Brandon is the lead wolf, Ned the quiet wolf and Benjen the pup.

Brandon asked Ashara Dayne to dance with Ned, which should have some importance later.

Most importantly, Rhaegar won the tourney and crowned Lyanna the queen of love and beauty, which meera says is "a much sadder story."

And also, some think that Lyanna is the mystery knight.

It's more a piece of history than symbolism really, filling in details on events that led to the rebellion. Brandon is the lead wolf, Ned the quiet wolf and Benjen the pup.

Brandon asked Ashara Dayne to dance with Ned, which should have some importance later.

Most importantly, Rhaegar won the tourney and crowned Lyanna the queen of love and beauty, which meera says is "a much sadder story."

good stuff, thanks for the insight.

THANKS! This is exactly the stuff I was wondering. And, now more mysteries to think about.....

I would love it if Lyanna was the mystery knight. I'd never thought of that, but it would make an even stronger connection between Lyanna and Arya. In GoT Ned tells Arya that she reminded him of Lyanna sometimes and that Lyanna might have carried a sword if their father allowed it.

• 5 months later...

In order of appearance...

Crannogman = Howland Reed

King = Aerys II Targaryen

The White Swords = Ser Gerold Hightower, Ser Oswell Whent, Ser Arthur Dayne, Ser Jon Darry, Ser Barristan Selmy, Prince Lewyn Martell, and(“their new brother”) Jaime Lannister

Storm Lord = Robert Baratheon

Rose Lord = Mace Tyrell

Great Lion = Tywin Lannister

Daughter/Brothers of the Castle = Whents

Dragon Prince = Rhaegar Targaryen

His Wife = Elia Targaryen

She-Wolf = Lyanna Stark

Wild Wolf = Brandon Stark

Quiet Wolf = Eddard Stark

Pup = Benjen Stark

Barrowtown Men = Dustins

Moose = Hornwoods