[BOOK SPOILERS] CGI direwolves in Season 2

Werthead

A usually-reliable commentator on my blog has a friend currently working as an extra on Season 2 of Thrones, appearing as a Stark guard, presumably in Robb Stark's camp scenes (given he's being doing night-long shoots and we know those scenes have been shot already).

According to the extra, they have a dog on set filling the role of a direwolf, but it is only there as a reference. The dog will be removed and replaced with a CGI version of the animal for the final episodes.

Quote:

My friend was one of the Stark guards.

Two night shoots, back to back, that lasted from 5.00pm to 6.00am.

Apparently the wolves are to be created digitally for this series.

They did have a real wolf but only as a point of reference for the actors, which will then be removed and replaced with a cgi replica.

Whether this means the direwolves will appear more often is unclear (the real animals were problematic, but CG is expensive, especially with the dragons also appearing).

An extra working in the series who frequently post at Winteriscoming.net and goes by the name Two Feathers hinted/teased something about the direwolves a week ago, but he didn't give details. He's a professional and he is always very careful about the things he can say about the project he is currently working.

Basically what he said was: "Wow, I met the direwolves in season 2. And (the production team) are not joking!"

This is a guy who worked last season and had proven to be reliable in his post history.

When queried, he didn't give any details besides commenting he was positively impressed. I don't know if what he saw was production design, props, capture motion or what. Hard to guess what it could be, if we consider that whatever he saw was in location and not a post-production facility.

• 6 months later...

Our first look at a CGI-enhanced direwolf for Season 2.

Looks pretty good, at least by this (somewhat rough) image.

You have no idea how relieved I am right now.

That shot looks really good! It seems to me as if they used a combination of CG and real dogs/wolves/whatever they use.

I was seriously terrified that the direwolves might turn out like those horrid werewolves in Twilight(barf), but it looks much more realistic in this shot. Let's hope they were able to keep that look in moving pictures.

Agreed. That wolf looks damn fierce. And might I say, it looks more like a wolf than the dogs they used in season 1.

I suppose it makes sense really. They only have to create 2 (perhaps 3, but Shaggydog isn't really a massive necessity) distinctive direwolves for this season, as opposed to a whole litter in season 1. Can't wait to see Ghost :D

Agreed. That wolf looks damn fierce. And might I say, it looks more like a wolf than the dogs they used in season 1.

I suppose it makes sense really. They only have to create 2 (perhaps 3, but Shaggydog isn't really a massive necessity) distinctive direwolves for this season, as opposed to a whole litter in season 1. Can't wait to see Ghost :D

Agreed. A nice shot of Ghost, and maybe a glimpse of Ygritte and Jaqen will tide me over until April 1st. (HBO, I hope you're listening!)

I would say 3, perhaps 4: Ghost, Greywind and Summer. Shaggydog is not that necessary, I agree.

And I hope they will look good, also when they are moving and in daylight. The both shots of them we have seen so fer were in darkness.

Given the large amount of wolves some TV shows (Like "True Blood" and others) use that are obviously not real, I would be very disappointed if they could not pull it off now with more improved tools.

This is still a very encouraging sight. :)

I think it definitely means we'll be seeing more Direwolves than we did in Season 1, which is a good thing because they are definitely needed more.. Especially Summer and Ghost.

I definitely do NOT the direwolves ... I´d rather they spend the money on the dragons instead.

do not what the direwolves?? You left out a word :) I love the direwolves. I think they are one of the most symbolic parts of the story. I hope they give them as much attention as possible.

Given the large amount of wolves some TV shows (Like "True Blood" and others) use that are obviously not real, I would be very disappointed if they could not pull it off now with more improved tools.

This is still a very encouraging sight. :)

True Blood uses real wolves actually ;)

I would say 3, perhaps 4: Ghost, Greywind and Summer. Shaggydog is not that necessary, I agree.

And I hope they will look good, also when they are moving and in daylight. The both shots of them we have seen so fer were in darkness.

Oh bloody hell, how could I forget Summer? Especially considering Bran's slow realisation that he has certain powers.

Hanging my head in shame :dunce:

do not what the direwolves?? You left out a word :) I love the direwolves. I think they are one of the most symbolic parts of the story. I hope they give them as much attention as possible.

I definitely do not need the direwolves, I was going to say.

Symbolic, yes, but in no way really essential to the story, or rather not in any way that could not have been done with "normal" wolves on TV, with just very minor modifications. We´ll have to wait and see, I guess. As long as the dragons don´t suffer I won´t mind.

Maybe it´s just because I am more of a cat person than a dog person. Now if the Starks had a shadowcat for their sigil and they had found five kittens in the snow ... :drunk:

Nymeria is sure to play an important role in the future.

Ghost has been very important in Jon's journey and Grey Wind was a very valuable asset to Robb's battles.

Summer was also very important to Bran.

Lady didn't have much of a chance but it still went toward character development and might have factored into Sansa's lack of sense.

Shaggydog is peripheral as is Rickon at this moment.

Might be my opinion but I sure feel you are wrong and saying that the Direwolves are a very minor, unimportant factor to the story.

Archived