Winds of Winter Reading at WorldCon

gbellinator

<mod gloves>

Yes, discussion of events in ADwD is now allowed outside the ADwD subforum - but ONLY in spoiler tags. Thank you.

</mod gloves>

Somebody record this and let us non-present hear it too :P.

GRRM's position on readings has always been that you can take notes but not record them.

I agree! I really hope somebody does. Should they post it in the ADWD forum if they do?

WorldCon reports tend to go into the BwB subforum and get sorted after the fun is over. :)

May as well as speculate; the Westeros Twitter says they think it'll show up on the forum in a few hours.

I am going to make the following predictions for Arianne's chapter:

1. Dorne learns about Aegon in the Stormlands.

2. News of Quentyn's death, appropriately embellished to make Daenerys look villainous, reaches Dorne

But, most importantly...

3. Doran dies.

4. Arianne deploys the Dornish army against the Tyrells.

Didn't someone in GRRM's camp or one of the publishers mention off the cuff awhile back that two MAJOR events were pushed back from the end of Dances to the beginning of Winds. If so Doran dying would be a major event, same with Sansa' marriage or Jaime meeting Lady Stoneheart. My personal opinion is that Dany's ending chapter was not the original one intended. It just doesn't have the power of the previous books. My thinking is George obviously moved her's to the beginning of Winds (probably her showing up at Mereen on Drogon with 20,000 Dothraki screamers in tow).

I also have the feeling that the epilogue chapter was going to be the Prologue for Winds; it just seems made for one, again probably because George realized Dances needed to end with a bang and not a whimper (which it would have if that epilogue hadn't been inserted).

Didn't someone in GRRM's camp or one of the publishers mention off the cuff awhile back that two MAJOR events were pushed back from the end of Dances to the beginning of Winds. If so Doran dying would be a major event, same with Sansa' marriage or Jaime meeting Lady Stoneheart. My personal opinion is that Dany's ending chapter was not the original one intended. It just doesn't have the power of the previous books. My thinking is George obviously moved her's to the beginning of Winds (probably her showing up at Mereen on Drogon with 20,000 Dothraki screamers in tow).

I also have the feeling that the epilogue chapter was going to be the Prologue for Winds; it just seems made for one, again probably because George realized Dances needed to end with a bang and not a whimper (which it would have if that epilogue hadn't been inserted).

on the two big events and the end of the Arianne chapter:

He mentioned after the reading that two big battles were pushed from ADwD: The Ice Battle and the Fire Battle. I assume he's talking about the Battle of Winterfell and the Siege of Meereen. He talked at length of how he struggles with the chronology which was the problem with the Meereen Knot. Now he says we greedy bastards will want to SEE Storm's End fall and he has to decide where to fit it in

Well, Sansa POV will be ok...

I'd like to have a Sam chapter. I wanna know wth is a faceless man doing there and what happens to the horn that was sent there in Oldtown.

Jaime/ Brianne POV is ok too.

OMG just not Aeron or any Ironborn POV, though Theon POV will be ok.

and yea not Danny too...

He mentioned after the reading that two big battles were pushed from ADwD: The Ice Battle and the Fire Battle. I assume he's talking about the Battle of Winterfell and the Siege of Meereen. He talked at length of how he struggles with the chronology which was the problem with the Meereen Knot. Now he says we greedy bastards will want to SEE Storm's End fall and he has to decide where to fit it in

Holy crap, that's just awesome. :laugh: I can has TWOW now please? It seems inconceivable that it's actual years away.

Thank you so much for the recap! Hope you're having a fantastic time at the con.

He mentioned after the reading that two big battles were pushed from ADwD: The Ice Battle and the Fire Battle. I assume he's talking about the Battle of Winterfell and the Siege of Meereen.

Wow. So TWIW will start off fabulously. Can't wait!

Very interesting. Unless the "ice battle" refers to the aftermath at the Wall, it seems reasonable to assume that (1) there *is*, in fact, a battle at Winterfell contrary to what I and some others figured, and (2) that he meant to leave Jon's arc on a cliffhanger.

And the finally reveal Cold Hand.

It's pretty much conclusively shown in aDwD that Coldhands identity is irrelevant. He is simply a dead guy who has been reanimated somehow - a 'good' wight - for the purpose of bring Bran and Co to the Children of the Forest and the Three-eyed Crow.

It's pretty much conclusively shown in aDwD that Coldhands identity is irrelevant. He is simply a dead guy who has been reanimated somehow - a 'good' wight - for the purpose of bring Bran and Co to the Children of the Forest and the Three-eyed Crow.

I think no such thing. Coldhands still may have a part to play.

We don't even know if he continued to exist after the encounter at the mouth of the cave. The fact that they'd 'killed him long ago' was not news in any sense - he is/was a wight - being dead is practically his defining characteristic. GRRM left things vague for a reason - the reveal will come later.

Tyrion's first chapter in TWoW is probably too epic to put in a reading, and simply acknowledging a Jon chapter would be a huge spoiler.

ETA: I'm don't know if can write without using spoiler tags here...can i? I'll edit the post if spoiler tags are not needed :)

Anyway, i've just realized a thing that bugged me for a while. It's about POV for winds.

2 months before ADWD's release, we knew the names of all the POVs (with the exception of Connington, but we also knew he only had two chapters) .. now, if Jon is not dead and he's going to be a POV again (although i think the title of his chapters will change, at least for a while), how can Martin think he's going to keep it a secret?

I'll explain: even if he doesn't tell us, Jon is a character who has always at least 5 chapters. As soon as he'll be done with Winds (i'm hoping for 2/3 years, wishful thinking) he's probably going to tell us which characters are POV, and we will probably be able to guess the rest. Something like "there are 10 pov characters you know about, plus two more i'm not telling you who have 9 chapters between them" is still not enough (we know a lesser, random POV will never are more than 2-3 chapters)

So, i'm guessing that, if jon will be back, either won't be a POV or we'll know about it before the book comes out..

What do you think?

Archived