Winds of Winter Reading at WorldCon

gbellinator

ETA: I'm don't know if can write without using spoiler tags here...can i? I'll edit the post if spoiler tags are not needed :)

Anyway, i've just realized a thing that bugged me for a while. It's about POV for winds.

2 months before ADWD's release, we knew the names of all the POVs (with the exception of Connington, but we also knew he only had two chapters) .. now, if Jon is not dead and he's going to be a POV again (although i think the title of his chapters will change, at least for a while), how can Martin think he's going to keep it a secret?

I'll explain: even if he doesn't tell us, Jon is a character who has always at least 5 chapters. As soon as he'll be done with Winds (i'm hoping for 2/3 years, wishful thinking) he's probably going to tell us which characters are POV, and we will probably be able to guess the rest. Something like "there are 10 pov characters you know about, plus two more i'm not telling you who have 9 chapters between them" is still not enough (we know a lesser, random POV will never are more than 2-3 chapters)

So, i'm guessing that, if jon will be back, either won't be a POV or we'll know about it before the book comes out..

What do you think?

Does he ever tell us the exact number of chapters before release? He told us WHO was a POV character in the book, and he told us which characters got the most chapters (Jon, Dany, and Tyrion), but he never told us how many chapters each character gets, did he?

as far as i remember, he did say something like "Dany & Jon are getting a lot of chapters. Next comes tyrion. Theon has a few chapters as well, 3 are KL-related"..

Also, even if he wouldn't talk about the number of chapters every character gets, he is surely going to say WHO is in, so i don't see how he can keep whether jon is a POV (alive) or not (probably dead) a secret

Also, even if he wouldn't talk about the number of chapters every character gets, he is surely going to say WHO is in, so i don't see how he can keep whether jon is a POV (alive) or not (probably dead) a secret

He can say as much or as little as he wants. Obviously he knows about the issue you're bringing up and he may choose to reveal the answer, or he may choose to keep it obscured. Just because he revealed most of the ADWD POVs in advance doesn't mean he has to do it again.

I'm hoping for Sansa or Sam. I don't expect to get a Jon/Ghost/Azor chapter until the book is actually released, because that would be too much of a spoiler. We got a little bit of Arianne and Brienne in ADWD so I'd rather it be characters we haven't heard about in quite some time. I never did like Aeron so I could do without reading his chapter. I wouldn't mind the reveal of the prologue chapter, actually, knowing the prologue often sets the theme for the novel.

I ditto the request for someone to record the reading :)

So soon? :stunned:

*crossing fingers for a Sansa chapter*

Me too! I rather miss reading of her personality evolution, her relationship with Littlefinger and also with Sweetrobin (which I believe will be Littlefinger's downfall), and cannot wait to see where this arc goes : )

• 2 weeks later...

Reading a Ramsay chapter would be like reading medieval-themed A Clockwork Orange. The only Ramsay POV I'd like to see is one that ends with him sans head.

For those at the con, has there been any other discussion of the chapters moved from Dance to Winds (other than the 2 battle)? Will he be reading anything other than the Arianne chapter?

It's pretty much conclusively shown in aDwD that Coldhands identity is irrelevant. He is simply a dead guy who has been reanimated somehow - a 'good' wight - for the purpose of bring Bran and Co to the Children of the Forest and the Three-eyed Crow.

He had his face covered. The most likely explanation for this is precisely because his identity *is* relevant, and that Bran would have recognized him.

Now it could also be because his face is too 'scary' for the kids and injured in some nasty way. But after he is revealed as being undead there is less reason to conceal it. And I think most of us know how Martin works by now - Coldhands concealing his face because of his identity is standard. Whereas if Coldhands was too ugly, Martin would probably revel describing Bran's reaction to the monstrous disgusting visage :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived